XA images - DICOM

This is a discussion on XA images - DICOM ; Hello, I've been instructed to write some software in Java to retrieve XA images (or films?) from a dicom server -- a Medcon server to be exact, using query/retrieve. Now I can get most images from that server using Apteryx ...

  1. XA images

    Hello,

    I've been instructed to write some software in Java to retrieve XA images
    (or films?) from a dicom server -- a Medcon server to be exact, using
    query/retrieve. Now I can get most images from that server using Apteryx or
    Pixelmed, but not the essential XA images. Is there something special about
    those, or should I suspect a bug in Medcon?

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt

  2. Re: XA images

    Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

    > I've been instructed to write some software in Java to retrieve XA images
    > (or films?) from a dicom server -- a Medcon server to be exact, using
    > query/retrieve. Now I can get most images from that server using Apteryx or
    > Pixelmed, but not the essential XA images. Is there something special about
    > those, or should I suspect a bug in Medcon?

    Turn on StorageSCP debugging in the PixelMed toolkit and watch the
    association negotiation.

    Perhaps the Medcon server is trying to send the XA images using a
    transfer syntax that the receiver does not support, and then not
    falling back to using the default implicit vr little endian
    transfer syntax as it is required to do.

    I say this because likely the XA images will be stored on the server
    in lossless JPEG compressed form, and MedCon is primarily a cardiac
    product.

    MedCon also supports lossy JPEG storage, and if the images are indeed
    stored in lossy form then the server is NOT required to be able to
    decompress them and fall back to the default transfer syntax, and
    in this case no communication may be possible unless the receiver
    also supports the same transfer syntax.

    This is an irritating DICOM "feature" described in PS 3.5 Section 10.1,
    which waives the requirement to support the default transfer syntax
    when the sender of the pixel data only has access to it in lossy compressed
    form.

    The PixelMed toolkit is currently not set up to accept lossy compressed
    transfer syntaxes on the network, though it would be fairly trivial to
    extend it to do so. It can decompress DICOM files for display if the
    JIIO codecs are available.

    Also take a look at the MedCon DICOM conformance statement at:

    "http://www.medcon.com/dicom.htm"

    David

  3. Re: XA images

    David Clunie wrote:

    > Turn on StorageSCP debugging in the PixelMed toolkit and watch the
    > association negotiation.

    Thanks -- I'll do that.

    > Perhaps the Medcon server is trying to send the XA images using a
    > transfer syntax that the receiver does not support, and then not
    > falling back to using the default implicit vr little endian
    > transfer syntax as it is required to do.
    >
    > I say this because likely the XA images will be stored on the server
    > in lossless JPEG compressed form, and MedCon is primarily a cardiac
    > product.

    I think, but I'm not sure that I'm supposed to get lossless images from the
    system.

    <...>

    > The PixelMed toolkit is currently not set up to accept lossy compressed
    > transfer syntaxes on the network, though it would be fairly trivial to
    > extend it to do so. It can decompress DICOM files for display if the
    > JIIO codecs are available.

    Hm, I think I understand this more or less. It's not display that I'm
    interested in at the moment, I just have to get the files for transfer over
    another network.

    > Also take a look at the MedCon DICOM conformance statement at:
    >
    > "http://www.medcon.com/dicom.htm"

    Thanks for your help!

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."
    http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

  4. Re: XA images

    David Clunie wrote:

    > Turn on StorageSCP debugging in the PixelMed toolkit and watch the
    > association negotiation.

    That was very helpful -- that was indeed the problem, witnessing the reams
    of:

    Called AE Title: talnus
    Calling AE Title: MEDCON_SERVER
    [Presentation Context ID: 0x1 (result 0x4 - transfer syntaxes not supported
    (provider rejection))
    Abstract Syntax:
    1.2.840.10008.5.1.1.27
    Transfer Syntax(es):
    , Presentation Context ID: 0x3 (result 0x4 - transfer syntaxes not supported
    (provider rejection))
    Abstract Syntax:
    1.2.840.10008.5.1.1.29
    Transfer Syntax(es):

    I get. I'll probably have to take it up with our toolkit vendor...

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."
    http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

  5. Re: XA images

    Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

    > I get. I'll probably have to take it up with our toolkit vendor...

    And Herve from Apteryx came up with the solution: I just needed to add the
    JAI tools (http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/) to have everything
    working great!

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt