Structured Report Status - DICOM

This is a discussion on Structured Report Status - DICOM ; Hi everybody, I'd like to know how should I use a status ID for a Structured Report. Is there any thing like Interpretation Status ID (4008,0212)? How should I manage the status of this object? Can I link it to ...

  1. Structured Report Status

    Hi everybody,

    I'd like to know how should I use a status ID for a Structured Report.
    Is there any thing like Interpretation Status ID (4008,0212)? How
    should I manage the status of this object? Can I link it to a Result
    Mangement Service Class?

    Regards,

    Erik Campos

  2. Re: Structured Report Status

    Externally.

    This was discussed when SR was first included in the standard, and
    it was determined that managing the state of an object was better
    done by the system managing the objects than it was by encoding
    something in the object itself, since the state of an object may
    change though its contents do not.

    Further, it was determined that we would not likely be able to
    agree on a single set of states sufficient for every scenario in
    which an SR might be used to encode the content, whether it be
    from machines or humans, dictated, transcribed, voice recognized,
    etc. If you look at the various IHE profiles and workflow white
    papers on the subject, these may reinforce the notion that there
    is little consensus yet on workflow or status for reporting.

    The Completion Flag and Verification Flag were included in the
    object only after much very prolonged and heated discussion of the
    subject; it was very difficult to agree on what they actually mean and
    hence there was a push for them not to be there, but they were
    allowed in only to get past this point of contention. The meaning
    of the Completion Flag is essentially whatever you want it to be,
    described with Completion Flag Description; i.e. this is pretty
    unhelpful and perhaps not that interoperable (deliberately).

    The bottom line is that one can get a sense of whether a document
    is final from the Completion Flag and Verification Flag, but no
    particular workflow is implied and earlier states are not modeled
    at all.

    There is no linkage to Result Management Service Class, which is
    completely dead and soon will be retired.

    David

    PS. Do not go adding attributes like Interpretation Status ID
    (4008,0212) to SR objects as a standard extended SOP class, or
    you will make a bad situation worse.

    ec wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'd like to know how should I use a status ID for a Structured Report.
    > Is there any thing like Interpretation Status ID (4008,0212)? How
    > should I manage the status of this object? Can I link it to a Result
    > Mangement Service Class?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Erik Campos

  3. Re: Structured Report Status

    Thanks for your answer.

    Which class should I use in order to infor other stations, about the
    availability of a Structured Report? So that I can tell about some
    states
    like DICTATED, TRANSCRIBED, VERIFIED, etc. I've seen I can use the
    GPWL, but this implies that the SCU station must be quering manually or
    every certain period of time for a WL. Is there any way by which a SCP
    can inform a SCU about a certain action?

    Regards,

    Erik Campos

  4. Worklist notifification, was Re: Structured Report Status

    Currently GP-SPS and GP-PPS work only on a query model for determining
    what is on a worklist, as you describe.

    There is discussion of adding a notification service that alerts
    a potential performer when an item has been added to their worklist.
    There is no draft of this work yet. The primary champion of this
    need actually wants it for modality worklist, but likely it would
    be made available for both MWL and GP-SPS.

    There is also on-going work on creating scheduled steps for GP-SPS.
    See supplement 96 "ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/supps/sup96_06.pdf".

    David

    erik_campos@entelchile.net wrote:

    > Thanks for your answer.
    >
    > Which class should I use in order to infor other stations, about the
    > availability of a Structured Report? So that I can tell about some
    > states
    > like DICTATED, TRANSCRIBED, VERIFIED, etc. I've seen I can use the
    > GPWL, but this implies that the SCU station must be quering manually or
    > every certain period of time for a WL. Is there any way by which a SCP
    > can inform a SCU about a certain action?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Erik Campos

  5. Re: Structured Report Status

    Hi, Erik -

    You may also want to take a step back and look at the larger picture of
    your use case for these report notiications. It may actually be the
    case that DICOM is not the appropriate protocol to use for such
    notifications, especially if the destination system does not inherently
    support DICOM. What systems need this notification in your
    environment, and what will they do with it? Is this to manage the
    department's internal reporting workflow, or is it to notify an
    external entity?

    The IHE Scheduled Workflow profile requires the radiology department to
    notify the order entry system of the status of the report using the HL7
    ORM message (transaction 4, Order Status Update). This message
    containing the ORC-5 Order Status field value CM (complete) indicates
    the complete verified report is available.

    The IHE Simple Image and Numeric Report profile specifies use of the
    HL7 ORU message to convey the SR report to an Enerprise Report
    Repository (transaction 28). Note that the HL7 ORU can also convey in
    the OBR-25 Result Status field some intermediate statuses (e.g., R -
    results stored [transcribed] not yet verified, F - final results stored
    and verified), although IHE only profiles the use of status 'F'.

    The IHE profiles can be obtained at
    www.rsna.org/IHE/tf/ihe_tf_index.shtml . Look for Radiology volume II.
    - Harry Solomon
    GE Healthcare