what mean the 'PS' - DICOM

This is a discussion on what mean the 'PS' - DICOM ; Hi everybody, I read the DICOM standard documents of draft version and find 'PS 3.1 2004" on the upper side of page. I don't know what is meaning of 'PS', can everybody tell me which presents? Seal Yang...

  1. what mean the 'PS'

    Hi everybody,
    I read the DICOM standard documents of draft version and find 'PS 3.1
    2004" on the upper side of page. I don't know what is meaning of 'PS',
    can everybody tell me which presents?

    Seal Yang

  2. Re: what mean the 'PS'

    Kuo-Hsi Yang wrote:

    > I read the DICOM standard documents of draft version and find 'PS 3.1
    > 2004" on the upper side of page. I don't know what is meaning of 'PS',
    > can everybody tell me which presents?

    If I remember correctly, this naming scheme goes back to the days of
    ACR/NEMA. "PS" means Provisional Standard and PS 3 (the provisional
    standard #3) is DICOM. PS3.1 refers to the first part of the DICOM
    standard.
    DICOM is certainly not "provisional" any more, but I don't think
    that anyone dares to change this naming scheme now everybody
    refers to it.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: what mean the 'PS'

    Hi Marco

    NEMA standards are generally named with a two letter prefix identifying
    the "product scope" ... see "http://www.nema.org/index_nema.cfm/710".

    Interestingly, "PS" is not listed amongst such prefixes in the NEMA
    document about the subject.

    The ACR/NEMA standard that preceded DICOM was not named this way,
    being ACR/NEMA 300-1985, with revision 1 published in October 1986
    and Revision 2 published in January 1988.

    ACR/NEMA PS 1 was the Standard for Magnetic Tape.

    ACR/NEMA PS 2 was the Data Compression Standard.

    So I presume that DICOM became PS 3 because it was the next sequentially.

    Why "PS" is not listed in the NEMA product scope document I do not
    know, but I doubt that it ever stood for "provisional standard",
    because as Marco says, there is nothing "provisional" about it.
    This is not like CEN pre-standards, for example.

    I will ask the NEMA staff why "PS" is not listed in the NEMA product
    scopes and whether or not it should be added.

    David

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:

    > Kuo-Hsi Yang wrote:
    >
    >> I read the DICOM standard documents of draft version and find 'PS 3.1
    >> 2004" on the upper side of page. I don't know what is meaning of 'PS',
    >> can everybody tell me which presents?

    > If I remember correctly, this naming scheme goes back to the days of
    > ACR/NEMA. "PS" means Provisional Standard and PS 3 (the provisional
    > standard #3) is DICOM. PS3.1 refers to the first part of the DICOM
    > standard.
    > DICOM is certainly not "provisional" any more, but I don't think
    > that anyone dares to change this naming scheme now everybody
    > refers to it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS

  4. Re: what mean the 'PS'

    David Clunie wrote:

    > I will ask the NEMA staff why "PS" is not listed in the NEMA product
    > scopes and whether or not it should be added.

    Howard Clark at NEMA replies:

    Richard Eaton has been at NEMA long enough to shed some light on this
    matter. As David points out, the two letters at the beginning of the
    name indicate the product group. Thus, XR is for X-ray and NU is for
    Nuclear. Not so clear are UD for ultrasound or MS for magnetic
    resonance. PS I am told stands for PACS Standard. We used to have a
    PACS Section in NEMA's Medical Division, but its name eventually was
    changed to Medical Imaging Informatics.

    Howard

  5. Re: what mean the 'PS'

    dclunie@dclunie.com wrote:
    > David Clunie wrote:
    >
    > > I will ask the NEMA staff why "PS" is not listed in the NEMA

    product
    > > scopes and whether or not it should be added.

    > Howard Clark at NEMA replies:
    >
    > Richard Eaton has been at NEMA long enough to shed some light on this
    > matter. As David points out, the two letters at the beginning of the
    > name indicate the product group. Thus, XR is for X-ray and NU is for
    > Nuclear. Not so clear are UD for ultrasound or MS for magnetic
    > resonance. PS I am told stands for PACS Standard. We used to have a
    > PACS Section in NEMA's Medical Division, but its name eventually was
    > changed to Medical Imaging Informatics.
    >
    > Howard

  6. Re: what mean the 'PS'

    dclunie@dclunie.com wrote:
    > David Clunie wrote:
    >
    > > I will ask the NEMA staff why "PS" is not listed in the NEMA

    product
    > > scopes and whether or not it should be added.

    > Howard Clark at NEMA replies:
    >
    > Richard Eaton has been at NEMA long enough to shed some light on this
    > matter. As David points out, the two letters at the beginning of the
    > name indicate the product group. Thus, XR is for X-ray and NU is for
    > Nuclear. Not so clear are UD for ultrasound or MS for magnetic
    > resonance. PS I am told stands for PACS Standard. We used to have a
    > PACS Section in NEMA's Medical Division, but its name eventually was
    > changed to Medical Imaging Informatics.
    >
    > Howard

+ Reply to Thread