Fuji CR & DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" - DICOM

This is a discussion on Fuji CR & DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" - DICOM ; Everyone, As related to Fuji Computed Radiography, what is the function of DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" VR = LO, VM = 1?? I understand DICOM fairly well, but need to know exactly the parameters of this DICOM Tag & ...

  1. Fuji CR & DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function"

    Everyone,

    As related to Fuji Computed Radiography, what is the function of DICOM
    Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" VR = LO, VM = 1?? I
    understand DICOM fairly well, but need to know exactly the parameters
    of this DICOM Tag & the effects of the parameters on image quality.

    Thank you very much,

    Patrick

  2. Re: Fuji CR & DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function"

    Hi Patrick

    I have not encountered this attribute in Fuji CR images before, nor
    have I seen reference to it in their conformance statements.

    Which model writes this attribute ?

    David

    patrickeverett wrote:
    > Everyone,
    >
    > As related to Fuji Computed Radiography, what is the function of DICOM
    > Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" VR = LO, VM = 1?? I
    > understand DICOM fairly well, but need to know exactly the parameters
    > of this DICOM Tag & the effects of the parameters on image quality.
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Patrick

  3. Re: Fuji CR & DICOM Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function"

    patrickeverett@sbcglobal.net (patrickeverett) wrote in message news:<2907684b.0411140136.1f93a42d@posting.google.com>...
    > Everyone,
    >
    > As related to Fuji Computed Radiography, what is the function of DICOM
    > Tag (0018,5021) "Postprocessing Function" VR = LO, VM = 1?? I
    > understand DICOM fairly well, but need to know exactly the parameters
    > of this DICOM Tag & the effects of the parameters on image quality.
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Patrick

    While I have no specific information on Fuji's use of that attribute,
    I'm willing to speculate. When Fuji used to distribute their CR with
    the Dejarnette processing workstation, the attribute (0008,2111)
    Derivation Description was used to store the coefficients used in the
    Fuji proprietary processing algorithms that converted the phosphor
    plate fluorescence intensities into the simulated xray-film response
    intensities of the CR image. These coefficents depended on a number of
    factors - body part, pediatric vs adult procedures, x-ray intensity,
    and other procedure or installation specific variables. By recording
    them in the image, Fuji could reconstruct how the pixels got to what
    they were. Other vendors do very similar things. Hologic for example
    stores their DR processing algorithms in the same place.

    Unfortunately (0008,2111) has other uses in DICOM. In particular, it
    is where a number of PACS and workstation applications dump the
    warning text when an image has been subjected to lossy compression.
    For this same reason, the contents of this tag are also
    unconditionally displayed as pixel overlay/annotation text by a number
    of PACS and workstation vendors. So, I speculate that Fuji has moved
    their processing algorithm parameter into a different DICOM attribute
    so their processing information doesn't get overwritten by somebody's
    lossy compression warning.

+ Reply to Thread