Report storage - DICOM

This is a discussion on Report storage - DICOM ; I am working with a system that does a multi modality test sequence. The output of the test consiists of ultrasound images and pressure waveforms, and computed values. None of these fit into a standard class. Presently we produce a ...

  1. Report storage

    I am working with a system that does a multi modality test sequence.
    The output of the test consiists of ultrasound images and pressure
    waveforms, and computed values. None of these fit into a standard
    class. Presently we produce a multipage report combining these
    images. Would it be appropriate to use one of the 'softcopy
    presentation ' classes to send this report to a PACS?

    DuWayne

  2. Re: Report storage

    duwayner@comcast.net wrote in message news:...
    > I am working with a system that does a multi modality test sequence.
    > The output of the test consiists of ultrasound images and pressure
    > waveforms, and computed values. None of these fit into a standard
    > class. Presently we produce a multipage report combining these
    > images. Would it be appropriate to use one of the 'softcopy
    > presentation ' classes to send this report to a PACS?
    >
    > DuWayne

    There is the standards right way to do it and the pragmatic, what
    gives you the most interoperability for your requirements (and
    therefore greater market potential) way to do it.

    The proper standards way to send your report is to build a structured
    report containing references to the images and waveforms that appear
    to be both input into your application and output in the report; and
    the coded content with your measured values. It sounds like your
    report may be supporting cardiology and could probably be coded into a
    hemodynamic or vascular procedure structured report template. However,
    support for structured reports in display workstations and PACS is
    still fairly thin. Support for the specialized forms is even thinner.
    Once support for structured reports, and specialized forms of
    structured reports becomes more widespread, this form for your report
    will give the greatest degree of interoperbility with both storage
    systems (PACS) and external display/presentation systems.

    The approach you outlined for using a presentation state is more
    likely to be interoperable for storage in multiple different PACS than
    a structured report would be, at least in the near term. The route you
    choose

    Interestingly you indicate you want to do this for storage in a PACS
    but do not cite a desire for other display applications to retrieve
    and display your report object. It sounds as if your goal is primarily
    to allow these reports to be generated in your application, stored in
    other vendors PACS, and then retrieved back to your, and only your
    application, for presentation to a user. If that is your goal, then
    presentation state will likely meet that goal. As a side effect it may
    also allow other applications to display your results in a manner that
    someone viewing the presentation could understand the content of your
    application's report (most likely these would be presented in graphic
    annotations to the images & waveforms). That would also form some
    level of interoperability. However, it would require an application
    which can receive and render ultrasound images, waveforms, and
    presentation states referencing both of them. Applications in the
    class likely to be able to do that are the same ones which would
    likely be able to read and display structured reports.

    What would be lost by encoding your report in a presentation state is
    the ability of a PACS or other system to index your report by its
    content and otherwise "understand" the content for correlation with
    other data. It would be purely a presentation format for visual
    display rather than storing coded content.

    It should also be pointed out that, technically Grey Scale
    Presentation State objects can't be used with color Ultrasound Images
    (although many applications do allow it)

+ Reply to Thread