Writing a viewer - DICOM

This is a discussion on Writing a viewer - DICOM ; I am somewhat new to programming and am interested in writing a DICOM viewer. I can decode the IODs I want to, but dont know that much about image processing/display or graphics ( actually programming in general to be honest). ...

  1. Writing a viewer

    I am somewhat new to programming and am interested in writing a DICOM
    viewer. I can decode the IODs I want to, but dont know that much about
    image processing/display or graphics ( actually programming in general
    to be honest). I am interested and self motivated, but unsure what
    subject/books I should read. Ultimately I would like to display CT/MR/
    PET image, multiplanar reconstruct them, view overlayed, and register
    them. Any recommended reading would be greatly appreciated.
    Kevin

  2. Re: Writing a viewer

    On Jun 25, 6:58 am, kevbr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am somewhat new to programming and am interested in writing a DICOM
    > viewer. I can decode the IODs I want to, but dont know that much about
    > image processing/display or graphics ( actually programming in general
    > to be honest). I am interested and self motivated, but unsure what
    > subject/books I should read. Ultimately I would like to display CT/MR/
    > PET image, multiplanar reconstruct them, view overlayed, and register
    > them. Any recommended reading would be greatly appreciated.

    So you have finished reading the whole DICOM standard ? Very
    impressive !

    You could start reading the Red & Blue book for OpenGL (Orange book
    too if you are going to go the shading path). In you are coming from
    OO world, definitely read The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented
    Approach To 3D Graphics.
    As for registration, there are plenty of approach, (see itk.org for
    implementations). ITK Software guide can be freely downloaded of the
    web... AFAIK there is a book per registration method.

    Good luck
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: Writing a viewer

    On Jun 25, 9:28*am, Mathieu Malaterre
    wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 6:58 am, kevbr...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am somewhat new to programming and am interested in writing a DICOM
    > > viewer. I can decode the IODs I want to, but dont know that much about
    > > image processing/display or graphics ( actually programming in general
    > > to be honest). I am interested and self motivated, but unsure what
    > > subject/books I should read. Ultimately I would like to display CT/MR/
    > > PET image, multiplanar reconstruct them, view overlayed, and register
    > > them. Any recommended reading would be greatly appreciated.

    > So you have finished reading the whole DICOM standard ? Very
    > impressive !
    >
    > You could start reading the Red & Blue book for OpenGL (Orange book
    > too if you are going to go the shading path). In you are coming from
    > OO world, definitely read The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented
    > Approach To 3D Graphics.
    > As for registration, there are plenty of approach, (see itk.org for
    > implementations). ITK Software guide can be freely downloaded of the
    > web... AFAIK there is a book per registration method.
    >
    > Good luck
    > -Mathieu

    Mathieu-

    Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those. Its actually
    not so impressive after all. I havent finished the whole standard just
    the parts I needed to be able to decode the IODs i needed. Really,
    just the encoding section and the IOD definition section and even
    those not as throughly as I should have.

    Thanks again

    Kevin

  4. Re: Writing a viewer

    On Jun 25, 11:42*am, kevbro02 wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 9:28*am, Mathieu Malaterre
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 25, 6:58 am, kevbr...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > I am somewhat new to programming and am interested in writing a DICOM
    > > > viewer. I can decode the IODs I want to, but dont know that much about
    > > > image processing/display or graphics ( actually programming in general
    > > > to be honest). I am interested and self motivated, but unsure what
    > > > subject/books I should read. Ultimately I would like to display CT/MR/
    > > > PET image, multiplanar reconstruct them, view overlayed, and register
    > > > them. Any recommended reading would be greatly appreciated.

    > > So you have finished reading the whole DICOM standard ? Very
    > > impressive !

    > > You could start reading the Red & Blue book for OpenGL (Orange book
    > > too if you are going to go the shading path). In you are coming from
    > > OO world, definitely read The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented
    > > Approach To 3D Graphics.
    > > As for registration, there are plenty of approach, (see itk.org for
    > > implementations). ITK Software guide can be freely downloaded of the
    > > web... AFAIK there is a book per registration method.

    > > Good luck
    > > -Mathieu

    > Mathieu-
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those. Its actually
    > not so impressive after all. I havent finished the whole standard just
    > the parts I needed to be able to decode the IODs i needed. Really,
    > just the encoding section and the IOD definition section and even
    > those not as throughly as I should have.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Kevin- Hide quoted text -

    I started on a similar hunt about 1 year ago. Here is the current
    status:

    http://groups.google.com/group/medic...-download-page

    This project will soon be open source.

    To get more ideas, you can review vtk codebase.. they have good
    rendering examples.

    I use dcmtk for now to iron out DICOM complexities, in process to use
    GDCM soon.

    Good luck!

    Moderator,
    http://groups.google.com/group/medicalimagingscience

  5. Re: Writing a viewer

    On Jun 25, 6:11*pm, "Science.Medical.Imaging List"
    wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 11:42*am, kevbro02 wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 25, 9:28*am, Mathieu Malaterre
    > > wrote:

    > > > So you have finished reading the whole DICOM standard ? Very
    > > > impressive !

    > > > You could start reading the Red & Blue book for OpenGL (Orange book
    > > > too if you are going to go the shading path). In you are coming from
    > > > OO world, definitely read The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented
    > > > Approach To 3D Graphics.
    > > > As for registration, there are plenty of approach, (see itk.org for
    > > > implementations). ITK Software guide can be freely downloaded of the
    > > > web... AFAIK there is a book per registration method.

    > > > Good luck
    > > > -Mathieu

    > > Mathieu-

    > > Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those. Its actually
    > > not so impressive after all. I havent finished the whole standard just
    > > the parts I needed to be able to decode the IODs i needed. Really,
    > > just the encoding section and the IOD definition section and even
    > > those not as throughly as I should have.

    > > Thanks again

    > > Kevin- Hide quoted text -

    > I started on a similar hunt about 1 year ago. Here is the current
    > status:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/medic...b/smiviewer-do...
    >
    > This project will soon be open source.
    >
    > To get more ideas, you can review vtk codebase.. they have good
    > rendering examples.
    >
    > I use dcmtk for now to iron out DICOM complexities, in process to use
    > GDCM soon.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Moderator,http://groups.google.com/group/medicalimagingscience- Hide quoted text -

    Those screen shots look fantastic. Your program did the segmantation
    and 3d presentation? Its awesome. I may hit you up for advice
    periodically if you dont mind.
    Thanks for the post and the tips

    Kevin

  6. Re: Writing a viewer

    On Jun 26, 3:40*pm, kevbro02 wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 6:11*pm, "Science.Medical.Imaging List"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jun 25, 11:42*am, kevbro02 wrote:

    > > > Mathieu-

    > > > Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those. Its actually
    > > > not so impressive after all. I havent finished the whole standard just
    > > > the parts I needed to be able to decode the IODs i needed. Really,
    > > > just the encoding section and the IOD definition section and even
    > > > those not as throughly as I should have.

    > > > Thanks again

    > > > Kevin- Hide quoted text -

    > > I started on a similar hunt about 1 year ago. Here is the current
    > > status:

    > >http://groups.google.com/group/medic...b/smiviewer-do...

    > > This project will soon be open source.

    > > To get more ideas, you can review vtk codebase.. they have good
    > > rendering examples.

    > > I use dcmtk for now to iron out DICOM complexities, in process to use
    > > GDCM soon.

    > > Good luck!

    > > Moderator,http://groups.google.com/group/medic...ngscience-Hide quoted text -

    > Those screen shots look fantastic. Your program did the segmantation
    > and 3d presentation? Its awesome. I may hit you up for advice
    > periodically if you dont mind.
    > Thanks for the post and the tips
    >
    > Kevin- Hide quoted text -

    Kevin,

    Yes all the code except DICOM I/O is home grown.

+ Reply to Thread