To "borrow" Image IOD - DICOM

This is a discussion on To "borrow" Image IOD - DICOM ; I'm still a beginner in DICOM developemnt. I asked about how to make a new modality DICOM compliant. I'd like to hear a definite answer on this question: Can I use a standard image IOD for image of a modality ...

  1. To "borrow" Image IOD

    I'm still a beginner in DICOM developemnt. I asked about how to make a
    new modality DICOM compliant. I'd like to hear a definite answer on
    this question: Can I use a standard image IOD for image of a modality
    other than what it is intended for? e.g. If our modality data is close
    to CT data, can I fill the CT image IOD with our image and data (maybe
    add some standard ro private tags) and fill the Modality attribute as
    "CTLM" (our new modality)? My understanding is I can't. The UID of CT
    image IOD implies it has to be CT image. Am I right?
    -Jie

  2. Re: To "borrow" Image IOD

    Your understanding is correct: using the CT IOD would
    not be DICOM compliant. There are mandatory (type 1)
    attributes that assume the pixel values represent xray
    rather than optical absorbance.
    - Doug

    "jie" wrote in message
    news:c6ac7482.0410221310.7f748644@posting.google.c om...
    > I'm still a beginner in DICOM developemnt. I asked about how to make a
    > new modality DICOM compliant. I'd like to hear a definite answer on
    > this question: Can I use a standard image IOD for image of a modality
    > other than what it is intended for? e.g. If our modality data is close
    > to CT data, can I fill the CT image IOD with our image and data (maybe
    > add some standard ro private tags) and fill the Modality attribute as
    > "CTLM" (our new modality)? My understanding is I can't. The UID of CT
    > image IOD implies it has to be CT image. Am I right?
    > -Jie

+ Reply to Thread