Dicom Print with Dicomscope - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dicom Print with Dicomscope - DICOM ; Hi, I work on a software which makes some transformations on dicom images. I would like to implement a print service with this soft so that i can print the dicom files (with or without annotations...) But before using a ...

  1. Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Hi, I work on a software which makes some transformations on dicom
    images.
    I would like to implement a print service with this soft so that i can
    print the dicom files (with or without annotations...)

    But before using a printer (i haven't for the moment), i have tried to
    use the dicomscope to understand and see the results.

    How can I send my dicom files to the Dicomscope SCP and see the
    preview of the print ? I have tried functions of the DCMTK : dcmpsprt
    which creates hardcopy and stored print object but i don't see the
    preview of the print.

    I also try dcmprscu which seems to send hardcopy and stored print
    object to the dicomscope but it seems that the result is the same that
    using dcmpsprt with --spool options.

    please help!

  2. Re: Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Sylvain wrote:
    > How can I send my dicom files to the Dicomscope SCP and see the
    > preview of the print ? I have tried functions of the DCMTK : dcmpsprt
    > which creates hardcopy and stored print object but i don't see the
    > preview of the print.
    > I also try dcmprscu which seems to send hardcopy and stored print
    > object to the dicomscope but it seems that the result is the same that
    > using dcmpsprt with --spool options.

    You actually do not send "DICOM files" to a DICOM printer, you use
    the DICOM Print Management service, which is not based on file or
    object transmission but on the DIMSE-N services.
    As you have correctly found out, you can use dcmpsprt to create a
    print job in Stored Print format from your source image. You can
    then either call dcmprscu or use dcmpsprt with the --spool option
    (which then itself calls dcmprscu) to "spool" the print job to a
    printer. Spooling in this case means using the DICOM Print Management
    service. If this works correctly, then you have created a hardcopy
    on a DICOM printer. In the case of DICOMscope, which only simulates
    a DICOM printer, you should see a new study (without patient name)
    suddenly appearing in the study browser. The study should have two
    series, one containing the images and one containing a Stored Print
    object (a new one, created by the virtual print server).
    You can load this stored print object into the Print Preview
    by selecting it and pressing the button that shows a printer and the "+"
    symbol. Then a softcopy rendering of your print job should appear on
    screen.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  3. Re: Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Ok, if I understand correctly what you say and what i still learn,
    Print SCU represents the application which asks the printer to print
    dicom, and PRINT SCP represents the printer asked, doesn't it ?

    I have used dcmprscp with the dicomscope and after adding to print a
    stored print object, if I click on "Print" on the Dicomscope
    Interface, with dcmprscp working, the connexion is established and
    dcmprscp returns messages of the printer. So dcmprscp allows to verify
    the good associations between the two AE (SCU and SCP).

    Now, I want to know how print the print jobs in a real printer. As I
    said, I haven't actually, but I think it is possible to test with a
    normal printer (display A4, Brother HL-1470N). I have the IP adress of
    the printer, and its port, but how configures the file Printer.cfg
    which doesn't exist, I have observed the file test.cfg but I don't
    understand where the ip adress and the port must be specified.

    Thanks for reply
    Sorry for my poor English
    Sylvain

    Marco Eichelberg wrote in message news:...
    > Sylvain wrote:
    > > How can I send my dicom files to the Dicomscope SCP and see the
    > > preview of the print ? I have tried functions of the DCMTK : dcmpsprt
    > > which creates hardcopy and stored print object but i don't see the
    > > preview of the print.
    > > I also try dcmprscu which seems to send hardcopy and stored print
    > > object to the dicomscope but it seems that the result is the same that
    > > using dcmpsprt with --spool options.

    > You actually do not send "DICOM files" to a DICOM printer, you use
    > the DICOM Print Management service, which is not based on file or
    > object transmission but on the DIMSE-N services.
    > As you have correctly found out, you can use dcmpsprt to create a
    > print job in Stored Print format from your source image. You can
    > then either call dcmprscu or use dcmpsprt with the --spool option
    > (which then itself calls dcmprscu) to "spool" the print job to a
    > printer. Spooling in this case means using the DICOM Print Management
    > service. If this works correctly, then you have created a hardcopy
    > on a DICOM printer. In the case of DICOMscope, which only simulates
    > a DICOM printer, you should see a new study (without patient name)
    > suddenly appearing in the study browser. The study should have two
    > series, one containing the images and one containing a Stored Print
    > object (a new one, created by the virtual print server).
    > You can load this stored print object into the Print Preview
    > by selecting it and pressing the button that shows a printer and the "+"
    > symbol. Then a softcopy rendering of your print job should appear on
    > screen.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

  4. Re: Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Sylvain wrote:
    > Ok, if I understand correctly what you say and what i still learn,
    > Print SCU represents the application which asks the printer to print
    > dicom, and PRINT SCP represents the printer asked, doesn't it ?

    Exactly. A "DICOM Printer" is actually a printer that runs a server
    process that accepts DICOM network connections and supports the
    "DICOM Print Management Service Class" as SCP. In short: a Print SCP.

    > I have used dcmprscp with the dicomscope and after adding to print a
    > stored print object, if I click on "Print" on the Dicomscope
    > Interface, with dcmprscp working, the connexion is established and
    > dcmprscp returns messages of the printer. So dcmprscp allows to verify
    > the good associations between the two AE (SCU and SCP).

    The "dcmprscp" tool which can be used both as a command line application
    and from within DICOMscope, simulates a Print SCP. It accepts
    connections, handles the server side of the print protocol, but of
    course it cannot create real hardcopies since it does not control
    a real printer. Instead it stores DICOM files in the DICOMscope database
    that allow DICOMscope to create a softcopy "simulation" of the hardcopy.

    Indeed dcmprscp can be used to check if your own print client can
    successfully print to a DICOM print server.

    > Now, I want to know how print the print jobs in a real printer. As I
    > said, I haven't actually, but I think it is possible to test with a
    > normal printer (display A4, Brother HL-1470N).

    Remember that you need a printer that implements the DICOM protocol.
    The Brother printer you mention certainly does not. No way to spool
    a DICOM print job to that printer. There are certain (commercial)
    products on the market that implement the DICOM print protocol as
    a Print SCP and then forward the print job to a normal printer
    through the Windows printing API. Without such a tool, you're lost.
    Medical printers such as the Drystar, Dryview etc. contain a
    DICOM Print SCP as part of the printer itself.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  5. Re: Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Ok, it's what I have understood.
    So, if I have a DICOM printer, the first thing to do will to verify
    the good communications between my console or interface and the
    printer. So, I think it's possible with "echoscu ip_printer port" ,
    isn't it ?

    And if I start the command line "dcmprscu -c printer.cfg -p MYPRINTER
    example.dcm", if I have all well understood, the file example.dcm will
    be printed by my DICOM printer, isn't it ?

    A last question about the file printer.cfg, is it provided with the
    DICOM printer (in the drivers ?), or do I have to make it myself and
    in this case where do I have to configured the ip_adress of the
    printer ?

    thanks for all Marco
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

    Marco Eichelberg wrote in message news:...
    > Sylvain wrote:
    > > Ok, if I understand correctly what you say and what i still learn,
    > > Print SCU represents the application which asks the printer to print
    > > dicom, and PRINT SCP represents the printer asked, doesn't it ?

    > Exactly. A "DICOM Printer" is actually a printer that runs a server
    > process that accepts DICOM network connections and supports the
    > "DICOM Print Management Service Class" as SCP. In short: a Print SCP.
    >
    > > I have used dcmprscp with the dicomscope and after adding to print a
    > > stored print object, if I click on "Print" on the Dicomscope
    > > Interface, with dcmprscp working, the connexion is established and
    > > dcmprscp returns messages of the printer. So dcmprscp allows to verify
    > > the good associations between the two AE (SCU and SCP).

    > The "dcmprscp" tool which can be used both as a command line application
    > and from within DICOMscope, simulates a Print SCP. It accepts
    > connections, handles the server side of the print protocol, but of
    > course it cannot create real hardcopies since it does not control
    > a real printer. Instead it stores DICOM files in the DICOMscope database
    > that allow DICOMscope to create a softcopy "simulation" of the hardcopy.
    >
    > Indeed dcmprscp can be used to check if your own print client can
    > successfully print to a DICOM print server.
    >
    > > Now, I want to know how print the print jobs in a real printer. As I
    > > said, I haven't actually, but I think it is possible to test with a
    > > normal printer (display A4, Brother HL-1470N).

    > Remember that you need a printer that implements the DICOM protocol.
    > The Brother printer you mention certainly does not. No way to spool
    > a DICOM print job to that printer. There are certain (commercial)
    > products on the market that implement the DICOM print protocol as
    > a Print SCP and then forward the print job to a normal printer
    > through the Windows printing API. Without such a tool, you're lost.
    > Medical printers such as the Drystar, Dryview etc. contain a
    > DICOM Print SCP as part of the printer itself.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg
    > OFFIS

  6. Re: Dicom Print with Dicomscope

    Sylvain wrote:
    > So, if I have a DICOM printer, the first thing to do will to verify
    > the good communications between my console or interface and the
    > printer. So, I think it's possible with "echoscu ip_printer port" ,
    > isn't it ?

    Yes. You may have to specify the aetitles using the --aetitle and --call
    options.

    > And if I start the command line "dcmprscu -c printer.cfg -p MYPRINTER
    > example.dcm", if I have all well understood, the file example.dcm will
    > be printed by my DICOM printer, isn't it ?

    If everything is correctly configured, yes.

    > A last question about the file printer.cfg, is it provided with the
    > DICOM printer (in the drivers ?), or do I have to make it myself and
    > in this case where do I have to configured the ip_adress of the
    > printer ?

    You have to create this by yourselfes. The values can be derived from
    the printer's conformance statement. The IP address and port number
    of the printer have to be configured both in the printer (of course) and
    in the "printer.cfg" configuration file for the dcmprscu tool.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

+ Reply to Thread