N-ACTION command - DICOM

This is a discussion on N-ACTION command - DICOM ; HI, Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET commands?...

  1. N-ACTION command

    HI,
    Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET commands?

  2. Re: N-ACTION command

    Gurikar wrote:

    > Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET commands?

    Didn't you claim that you read the relevant parts of the
    DICOM standard?

    Short answer from PS 3.7-2004:

    The N-SET service is used by a DIMSE-service-user to request the
    modification of Attribute Values from a peer DIMSE-service-user.

    The N-ACTION service is used by a DIMSE-service-user to request
    an action by a peer DIMSE-service-user.

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier
    OFFIS

  3. Re: N-ACTION command

    HI Joerg,
    Iam reading standard..In Study Management Service class,, General
    Purpose Scheduled Procedure step SOP class uses N-ACTION to modify
    attributes of General purpose scheduled procedure information and in
    case of General Purpose Performed Proceudre step SOP class they use
    N-SET to modify or request to modify attributes of General purpose
    performed procedure information..I didnt understand this..Anyway
    thanks for you answer..Thank you

    Regards

    "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote in message news:...
    > Gurikar wrote:
    >
    > > Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET commands?

    > Didn't you claim that you read the relevant parts of the
    > DICOM standard?
    >
    > Short answer from PS 3.7-2004:
    >
    > The N-SET service is used by a DIMSE-service-user to request the
    > modification of Attribute Values from a peer DIMSE-service-user.
    >
    > The N-ACTION service is used by a DIMSE-service-user to request
    > an action by a peer DIMSE-service-user.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joerg Riesmeier
    > OFFIS

  4. Re: N-ACTION command

    Gurikar wrote:

    > Iam reading standard..In Study Management Service class,, General
    > Purpose Scheduled Procedure step SOP class uses N-ACTION to modify
    > attributes of General purpose scheduled procedure information and in
    > case of General Purpose Performed Proceudre step SOP class they use
    > N-SET to modify or request to modify attributes of General purpose
    > performed procedure information..I didnt understand this..

    Ok, but then your answer "Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET
    commands?" was a little too general.

    Nevertheless, the short characterization I cited from the standard
    remains valid.

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier
    OFFIS

  5. Study Management

    HI Joerg,
    Why do you need three seperate categories of SOP classes in Study Management.
    For me all looks same.. Three categories are :

    1) Study Managment.
    2) Modality performed procedure step
    3) General purpose performed procedure step.

    All looks same for me..Whats the difference??

    Regards
    "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote in message news:...
    > Gurikar wrote:
    >
    > > Iam reading standard..In Study Management Service class,, General
    > > Purpose Scheduled Procedure step SOP class uses N-ACTION to modify
    > > attributes of General purpose scheduled procedure information and in
    > > case of General Purpose Performed Proceudre step SOP class they use
    > > N-SET to modify or request to modify attributes of General purpose
    > > performed procedure information..I didnt understand this..

    > Ok, but then your answer "Whats the difference between N-ACTION & N-SET
    > commands?" was a little too general.
    >
    > Nevertheless, the short characterization I cited from the standard
    > remains valid.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joerg Riesmeier
    > OFFIS

  6. Re: Study Management

    Gurikar wrote:

    > HI Joerg,
    > Why do you need three seperate categories of SOP classes in Study Management.
    > For me all looks same.. Three categories are :
    >
    > 1) Study Managment.

    Study management was originally in the standard, but is pretty
    useless and not widely used, and not in an interoperable
    fashion.

    Study management will likely be retired soon, if only to make
    Part 4 more readable.

    > 2) Modality performed procedure step

    MPPS was later added to support the Modality to RIS communication.

    > 3) General purpose performed procedure step.

    GPPS was added later still, initially to support reporting
    workflow.

    > All looks same for me..Whats the difference??

    The difference is historical, but MPPS and GPPS currently
    have separate roles and different behavior and attributes.

    See the IHE actors, transactions and profiles for examples
    of the settings in which each is used.

    David

+ Reply to Thread