Relationship between visists and studies in the DICOM model of the real world - DICOM

This is a discussion on Relationship between visists and studies in the DICOM model of the real world - DICOM ; Peoples: Recently I asked about the relationship between Study Dates and series. Namely, I wanted to know if it was possible for a study to span multiple dates, with series on different dates. It was very helpfully indicated that, yes, ...

  1. Relationship between visists and studies in the DICOM model of the real world

    Peoples:

    Recently I asked about the relationship between Study Dates and
    series. Namely, I wanted to know if it was possible for a study to
    span multiple dates, with series on different dates. It was very
    helpfully indicated that, yes, indeed, simplest example of this being
    a bolus/contrast study that you had to come back for.

    Ok, fair enough. However, in looking at the DICOM Model of the real
    world, it looks like a visit "has a" study. For ambulatory studies
    that may span different dates, how does this work? Because the
    diagram sure seems to indicate a one to one correspondence between
    studies and visits, unless I am reading it wrong.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: Relationship between visists and studies in the DICOM model of the real world

    > Ok, fair enough. However, in looking at the DICOM Model of the real
    > world, it looks like a visit "has a" study. For ambulatory studies
    > that may span different dates, how does this work? Because the
    > diagram sure seems to indicate a one to one correspondence between
    > studies and visits, unless I am reading it wrong.

    The visit is an entity in the largely abandoned Normalized/Detached
    Patient, Visit , Study, Interpretation, and Result SOP classes and
    transactions. Much of this appears to have been modeled on similar
    concepts included in HL7. The visit in particular appears to me to
    have been modeled on the HL7 "Episode" - ie a period during which
    multiple clinical encounters take place, each encounter possibly
    producing separate residual data products, such a DICOM study. The
    Visit attributes remain in DICOM to document things that may be
    common across multiple study instances, things like: admitting
    diagnosis or route of admissions. The visit remains as an entity in
    the DICOM standard; but there really aren't any interoperable DICOM
    transactions dealing with Visits. These are really handled by
    transactions in the HL7 domain; and only affect DICOM through
    attributes which "bleed through" into worklist entries or composite
    objects.

+ Reply to Thread