Re: creating DICOMDIR structure in DCMTK - DICOM

This is a discussion on Re: creating DICOMDIR structure in DCMTK - DICOM ; Shabu wrote: > Does DCMTK have a method to read a Dicomdir file instead of being > forced to build dicomdir structure from the dicom files. I would > assume reading dicomdir file directly( if present) could be speedier. I'm ...

  1. Re: creating DICOMDIR structure in DCMTK

    Shabu wrote:

    > Does DCMTK have a method to read a Dicomdir file instead of being
    > forced to build dicomdir structure from the dicom files. I would
    > assume reading dicomdir file directly( if present) could be speedier.

    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you intend to do.

    > Went thru the DicomDirInterface, but couldn't find any specific
    > read dicomdir functionality...

    From the header file of this class:

    === CUT ===

    /** An interface class for simplified creation of a DICOMDIR
    */
    class DicomDirInterface ...

    === CUT ==

    So it should be obvious that the purpose of this class is the
    _creation_ of a DICOMDIR file and nothing else.

    > I searched dcmtk help file for DcmDicomDir & dcdicdir.. but couldn't
    > find any matches... Were those old classes, that were phased out

    The class is still there (see dcmdata/include/dcdicdir.h).

    The reason why you could not find it in the HTML documentation is
    quite simple:

    'At the current time, dcmimage, dcmimgle, dcmjpeg, dcmpstat, dcmsign,
    dcmsr, dcmtls, dcmwlm and ofstd are completely documented, dcmdata and
    dcmnet are partially documented. See FAQ entry: "Where is rest of the
    documentation?"'

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier
    OFFIS

  2. Re: creating DICOMDIR structure in DCMTK

    "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote in message news:...
    > Shabu wrote:
    >
    > > Does DCMTK have a method to read a Dicomdir file instead of being
    > > forced to build dicomdir structure from the dicom files. I would
    > > assume reading dicomdir file directly( if present) could be speedier.

    > I'm sorry but I don't understand what you intend to do.

    ## I am sorry, let me explain further...

    1st scenario :
    We receive CD's which have the dicom images stored in them ( say
    within a folder on CD)... most times we also have a dicomdir file in
    the root of the CD...

    What our Dicomreader used to do was read this dicomdir file & add the
    dicomdir structure to the Windows explorer tree control ( as if the
    dicomdir's list of patients, studies, series are individual
    folders/files)... Users can preview the relevant series in the Open
    dialog Box itself before chosing to look up a particular series...

    2nd scenario :
    Occasionally we receive CD's without the dicomdir file.. In such cases
    we try & open each file on the CD, check if its a dicom file & if so
    we try to recreate the dicomdir structure( in memory & don't dump it
    on disk)...

    I was talking about the 1st scenario while u had talked about what I
    think is 2nd scenario in ur earlier post In that code, u too seem to
    be attempting to read in individual dicom files as u try to build up
    the dicomdir structure...

    I have posted a seperate question on a seperate thread called "Using
    DCMTK - Basic coding"... find it here
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ing.google.com

    I would deeply appreciate if u could give me some pointers there...

    > > Went thru the DicomDirInterface, but couldn't find any specific
    > > read dicomdir functionality...

    > From the header file of this class:
    >
    > === CUT ===
    >
    > /** An interface class for simplified creation of a DICOMDIR
    > */
    > class DicomDirInterface ...
    >
    > === CUT ==
    >
    > So it should be obvious that the purpose of this class is the
    > _creation_ of a DICOMDIR file and nothing else.

    ## it seemed as if the class supported building a dicomdir file by
    adding Dicom files alone.. since then I looked up in the code & I can
    see the functions createNewDicomDir() & appendToDicomDir() which take
    a filename as input & the commnets says that something about "DICOMDIR
    file" but it isn't clear if they read in a dicomdir file & create a
    root-node structure ( say like in XML DOM structure)

    I need to read more of this class comments & documentation to clear my
    doubts...

    > > I searched dcmtk help file for DcmDicomDir & dcdicdir.. but couldn't
    > > find any matches... Were those old classes, that were phased out

    > The class is still there (see dcmdata/include/dcdicdir.h).
    >
    > The reason why you could not find it in the HTML documentation is
    > quite simple:
    >
    > 'At the current time, dcmimage, dcmimgle, dcmjpeg, dcmpstat, dcmsign,
    > dcmsr, dcmtls, dcmwlm and ofstd are completely documented, dcmdata and
    > dcmnet are partially documented. See FAQ entry: "Where is rest of the
    > documentation?"'
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joerg Riesmeier
    > OFFIS

    ## my sincere thanks for your your time & effort.

    Cheers,
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread