Multiple string values ending with "\" delimiter? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Multiple string values ending with "\" delimiter? - DICOM ; Is there an agreement, that DICOM PS.5.5: > 6.4 VALUE MULTIPLICITY (VM) AND DELIMITATION > ... >  For character strings, the character 5CH (BACKSLASH "\" in the case of the repertoire ISO IR-6) > shall be used as a ...

  1. Multiple string values ending with "\" delimiter?

    Is there an agreement, that DICOM PS.5.5:

    > 6.4 VALUE MULTIPLICITY (VM) AND DELIMITATION
    >  For character strings, the character 5CH (BACKSLASH "\" in the case of the repertoire ISO IR-6)
    > shall be used as a delimiter *between* Values.

    can be interpreted, that multiple string values ending with "\" are
    not permitted by DICOM?

    Just received PET images with

    (0018,1200) DA #10 [20080409\] Date of Last Calibration
    (0018,1201) TM #14 [111907.984000\] Time of Last Calibration

    which causes problems in a third-party DICOM implementation used by
    one of our legacy applications.
    --
    gunter zeilinger
    Agfa Healthcare

  2. Re: Multiple string values ending with "\" delimiter?

    Hello Gunter,

    generally speaking, an \ at the end means an empty value is added.

    The sample you provided is -ahem, - pure nonsense, BUT in some cases you
    need an empty value, e.g. in handling extended character sets: having a
    fist value of ISO IR-6 and "Some Other Encoding", you may have "\(some
    other)" in the (0008,0005) Attribute. See Table H.6 of Part 5
    (PS3.5-2008) Example for Japanese:"\ISO 2022 IR 87" (First: ASCII,
    Second: Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana Character Set).

    But what you provided seems like an implementor has not really read Part 5.

    I would suggest to notify the implementor and ask for correction, and
    make your code handle nonsense like this gracefully.

    Hope this helps,

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread