Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file - DICOM ; Hello, I'm jsut verifying that I'm understood correctly, please correct if this is not right (and please also signal if the following is true...) DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA. HEADER contains typically patient information and information about the ...

  1. Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file

    Hello,

    I'm jsut verifying that I'm understood correctly, please correct if
    this is not right (and please also signal if the following is true...)

    DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.

    HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
    the image capturing modality.

    DATA contain either one or many images.

    If above is true, then could someone explain how DICOM format
    encapsulates multiple images in one DICOM packet? Are the contained
    images enlisted in the header?

    Thanks,

    -pom-

  2. Re: Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file

    On May 30, 9:40 am, pompair wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm jsut verifying that I'm understood correctly, please correct if
    > this is not right (and please also signal if the following is true...)
    >
    > DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.
    >
    > HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
    > the image capturing modality.
    >
    > DATA contain either one or many images.
    >
    > If above is true, then could someone explain how DICOM format
    > encapsulates multiple images in one DICOM packet? Are the contained
    > images enlisted in the header?

    See PS 3.5 - 2008, section 8.2 NATIVE OR ENCAPSULATED FORMAT ENCODING

    and section A.4 TRANSFER SYNTAXES FOR ENCAPSULATION OF ENCODED PIXEL
    DATA for an example.

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file

    Hello Pompair,

    pompair wrote:
    > Hello,

    [...]
    > DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.
    >
    > HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
    > the image capturing modality.
    >
    > DATA contain either one or many images.

    [...]

    this is too simplified to create a valid implementation of DICOM.

    DICOM Data sets contain two types of Data: Payload data and Metadata.

    Still simplified, Payload can be one or many of
    * Images
    * Waveforms
    * General Measurement Data
    * Signatures
    * encapsulated data with formatting defined by other than DICOM.

    Metadata can be of a plethora of information types such as Patient
    identifying information, data presentation information, workflow
    management information, encoded clinical information and much more.

    If you want to learn about this, please start studying Part 3 of the
    DICOM Standard available at http://medical.nema.org . Its a big volume,
    but it's worth reading. You may pick the objects you are dealing with first.

    All DICOM Information Objects are made up by a well defined combination
    of Modules and / or Macros described in Part 3 (PS3.3-2008). These
    define the Attributes required and allowed as well as their semantics in
    the Information Object.

    Only obeying all these normative rules you can really understand and
    interpret DICOM Data set contents and create valid DICOM Data sets -
    there is no easy way of q&d type.

    Hope this helps,

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread