EZ Dicom viewer for Linux? - DICOM

This is a discussion on EZ Dicom viewer for Linux? - DICOM ; I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us, mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly." I ...

  1. EZ Dicom viewer for Linux?

    I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several
    dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us,
    mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly."
    I have used ImageJ, Julius, and a few others. Does anyone have any
    suggestions for a Linux-compatible viewer that doesn't require me to hunt
    thru several levels of directories by hand, loading files one at a time?
    Am I just not using the programs correctly? TIA.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  2. Re: EZ Dicom viewer for Linux?

    On May 29, 5:36 pm, MarkA wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several
    > dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us,
    > mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly."
    > I have used ImageJ, Julius, and a few others. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions for a Linux-compatible viewer that doesn't require me to hunt
    > thru several levels of directories by hand, loading files one at a time?
    > Am I just not using the programs correctly? TIA.

    I am not sure if this fits your definition of "user friendly", but
    have a look at devide (build on top of GDCM 2.x, python, VTK, ITK &
    wxWidgets):

    http://devidenews.wordpress.com/2008...browser-in-85/
    -> http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE

    I guess I should also mention this new project:

    (taken from: http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind...y_Applications)

    # InVesalius : InVesalius is a free 3D medical image reconstruction
    software. Based on DICOM two-dimensional images, acquired using CT or
    RMI, the software generates virtual three-dimensional models
    correspondent to anatomical parts of the human body. InVesalius allows
    the generation of STL (stereolithography) files, used for Rapid
    Prototyping. The software is developed in Python and uses VTK, being
    available in English and Portuguese. Runs on Windows and Linux.
    http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: EZ Dicom viewer for Linux?

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:37:52 -0700, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

    > On May 29, 5:36 pm, MarkA wrote:
    >> I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several
    >> dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us,
    >> mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly."
    >> I have used ImageJ, Julius, and a few others. Does anyone have any
    >> suggestions for a Linux-compatible viewer that doesn't require me to hunt
    >> thru several levels of directories by hand, loading files one at a time?
    >> Am I just not using the programs correctly? TIA.

    > I am not sure if this fits your definition of "user friendly", but
    > have a look at devide (build on top of GDCM 2.x, python, VTK, ITK &
    > wxWidgets):
    >
    > http://devidenews.wordpress.com/2008...browser-in-85/
    > -> http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE
    >
    > I guess I should also mention this new project:
    >
    > (taken from: http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind...y_Applications)

    > # InVesalius : InVesalius is a free 3D medical image reconstruction
    > software. Based on DICOM two-dimensional images, acquired using CT or
    > RMI, the software generates virtual three-dimensional models
    > correspondent to anatomical parts of the human body. InVesalius allows
    > the generation of STL (stereolithography) files, used for Rapid
    > Prototyping. The software is developed in Python and uses VTK, being
    > available in English and Portuguese. Runs on Windows and Linux.
    > http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br
    >

    > HTH
    > -Mathieu

    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll check those out.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  4. Re: EZ Dicom viewer for Linux?

    http://aeskulap.nongnu.org/

    or install using your package manager

    Rainer

    MarkA wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several
    > dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us,
    > mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly."
    > I have used ImageJ, Julius, and a few others. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions for a Linux-compatible viewer that doesn't require me to hunt
    > thru several levels of directories by hand, loading files one at a time?
    > Am I just not using the programs correctly? TIA.

  5. Re: EZ Dicom viewer for Linux?

    On May 29, 10:36 am, MarkA wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu Linux on my computer at my office. I have tried several
    > dicom viewers to look at the CDs our local Radiology group sends us,
    > mostly facial bone fractures, and none of them are very "user friendly."
    > I have used ImageJ, Julius, and a few others. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions for a Linux-compatible viewer that doesn't require me to hunt
    > thru several levels of directories by hand, loading files one at a time?
    > Am I just not using the programs correctly? TIA.
    >
    > --
    > MarkA
    > Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    > About eight o'clock

    DicomBrowser (http://nrg.wustl.edu/projects/DICOM/DicomBrowser.jsp)
    does what you're looking for. It does require real Java (not gcj),
    version 1.5 or later, but we run it on Ubuntu (among other platforms)
    with no trouble.

+ Reply to Thread