Does SOP Instance UID must unique ? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Does SOP Instance UID must unique ? - DICOM ; Hello everyone !!! Today i found one modality company create same SOP instance UID for all the images. I think this company think SOP Class and SOP instace UID is same. SO i need to correct them that is illegal ...

  1. Does SOP Instance UID must unique ?

    Hello everyone !!!

    Today i found one modality company create same SOP instance UID for
    all the images. I think this company think SOP Class and SOP instace
    UID is same.

    SO i need to correct them that is illegal standard.
    But i couldn't find any definition of SOP instance UID that says "it
    must be unique".

    Can you tell me what part of DICOM standard i should look at ?

  2. Re: Does SOP Instance UID must unique ?

    PS 3.3 C.12.1 SOP Common Module in Table C.12-1 defines SOP Instance UID
    as follows:

    "Uniquely identifies the SOP Instance."

    A unique identifier is defined in PS 3.8 Section 3.7:

    "Unique identifier (UID): The scheme used to provide global unique
    identification for objects. It uses the structure defined by ISO 8824
    for OSI Object Identifiers."

    Is that sufficient ?

    David

    I WANNA BE A DICOM EXPERT wrote:
    > Hello everyone !!!
    >
    > Today i found one modality company create same SOP instance UID for
    > all the images. I think this company think SOP Class and SOP instace
    > UID is same.
    >
    > SO i need to correct them that is illegal standard.
    > But i couldn't find any definition of SOP instance UID that says "it
    > must be unique".
    >
    > Can you tell me what part of DICOM standard i should look at ?

  3. Re: Does SOP Instance UID must unique ?

    Thanks David !!
    I'll be good enough to prove that my software is following standard.

    Jay