PCI Frame Grabbers - DICOM

This is a discussion on PCI Frame Grabbers - DICOM ; Hi, just wanna know as to why images captured from PCI frame grabbers are not suitable for diagnosis and they do not have any medical value; in that sense the images captured from PCI Frame Grabber and wrapped with DICOM ...

  1. PCI Frame Grabbers

    Hi,

    just wanna know as to why images captured from PCI frame grabbers are
    not suitable for diagnosis and they do not have any medical value; in
    that sense the images captured from PCI Frame Grabber and wrapped with
    DICOM headers would also be rendered "not useful for diagnosis".

    Thnx

  2. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    Dustcane wrote:

    > just wanna know as to why images captured from PCI frame grabbers are
    > not suitable for diagnosis and they do not have any medical value

    I am guessing, but my guess is it isn't so much that a frame grabber is
    particularly evil but that you have insufficient QA on what it is
    grabbing /from/ in many cases.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    There is not enough information in your question.
    It depends on many factors, what kind of modality you are capturing,
    what kind of frame grabber you are using.
    There are consumer frame grabbers and medical grade frame grabbers.
    If you are capturing US images it can be fine, but if you pretend to
    capture CT or MR images not.

    Regards,
    Rafael Sanguinetti
    CharruaSoft.com

  4. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    On May 22, 4:26 pm, "rafa_sanguine...@hotmail.com"
    wrote:
    > There is not enough information in your question.
    > It depends on many factors, what kind of modality you are capturing,
    > what kind of frame grabber you are using.
    > There are consumer frame grabbers and medical grade frame grabbers.
    > If you are capturing US images it can be fine, but if you pretend to
    > capture CT or MR images not.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Rafael Sanguinetti
    > CharruaSoft.com

    > It depends on many factors,
    >what kind of modality you are capturing,

    Basically its planned for Ultra sound equipments,

    > what kind of frame grabber you are using.

    the frame grabber is from Flash Bus Spectrim; the problem is while
    the save is performed it
    captures the screen wherein the message boxes or overlapping windows
    are also captured.
    Does this exists for all Frame Grabbers or its an exceptional case??

    >There are consumer frame grabbers and medical grade frame grabbers.

    I think Flash Bus Spectrim boasts of being a medical grade frame
    grabbers;
    it would be great if one could suggest few Medical Grade Frame
    Grabbers

    >if you are capturing US images it can be fine, but if you pretend to capture CT or MR images not.

    US provides analog output gud understandable for which Frame Grabbers
    are OK
    Reasons as to why CT or MR image capture is not suited would help me
    in better understanding

    Appreciate your response and thanks for the reply

  5. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    When you capture the video signal from a US machine, you are capturing
    everything that is displayed on the screen, no more, no less. All
    frame grabbers work the same way.
    As for the difference between US and CT or MR images, US are 8 bit,
    video resolution images (640x480), while CT or MR images are 16 bit,
    and video output from old systems is high definition or non-standard
    video signal.

    Regards,
    Rafael

  6. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    For Ultrasound there are few choices, Low cost (Avermedia EZ Capture)
    & High cost (Matrox, Pinnacle, etc..)
    For CT & MRI you can use Foresight I50, 60, 70 depending on the Video
    freq. This supports 10 bit (1024 Gray Scale values).

    Have any body used 10bit gray scale value for calculating Window
    Leveling or Hounsfield value ?, can this be mapped at all.

    Regards
    Rady

    On May 23, 12:41*am, "rafa_sanguine...@hotmail.com"
    wrote:
    > When you capture the video signal from a US machine, you are capturing
    > everything that is displayed on the screen, no more, no less. All
    > frame grabbers work the same way.
    > As for the difference between US and CT or MR images, US are 8 bit,
    > video resolution images (640x480), while CT or MR images are 16 bit,
    > and video output from old systems is high definition or non-standard
    > video signal.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Rafael

  7. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    On May 22, 12:53*am, Dustcane wrote:

    > just wanna know as to why images captured from PCI frame grabbers are
    > not suitable for diagnosis and they do not have any medical value; in
    > that sense the images captured from PCI Frame Grabber and wrapped with
    > DICOM headers would also be rendered "not useful for diagnosis".

    In general no, in my opinion as a radiologist, video frame-grabbed
    images are undesirable for most
    medical purposes, and significantly degraded by comparison with the
    digital original images, which should be used by preference. It all
    depends on the source of the original data, the bit depth, whether the
    displayed images have been windowed (e.g., from 12 bits to 8), their
    original and displayed resolution, the presence of burned in
    annotation in the video signal, etc. Video frame grabbing, like
    scanning a sheet of printed CT film, is a desperate last resort in
    these situations. For visible light sources, like a microscope or
    endoscope, a digital camera will give better results than a digitized
    video signal. The era of frame grabbing from devices that have no
    digital interface or a proprietary digital interface has largely
    passed into history, except for essentially obsolete devices.

    Having said that, there are still sites with such obsolete devices, or
    applications for which the source video quality is not terribly high
    in the first place, and there is still a market for frame grabbing
    systems. See for example products like TIMS (http://www.tims.com/).

    David

  8. Re: PCI Frame Grabbers

    On May 22, 12:53 am, Dustcane wrote:

    > just wanna know as to why images captured from PCI frame grabbers are
    > not suitable for diagnosis and they do not have any medical value; in
    > that sense the images captured from PCI Frame Grabber and wrapped with
    > DICOM headers would also be rendered "not useful for diagnosis".

    In general no, in my opinion as a radiologist, video frame-grabbed
    images are undesirable for most
    medical purposes, and significantly degraded by comparison with the
    digital original images, which should be used by preference. It all
    depends on the source of the original data, the bit depth, whether the
    displayed images have been windowed (e.g., from 12 bits to 8), their
    original and displayed resolution, the presence of burned in
    annotation in the video signal, etc. Video frame grabbing, like
    scanning a sheet of printed CT film, is a desperate last resort in
    these situations. For visible light sources, like a microscope or
    endoscope, a digital camera will give better results than a digitized
    video signal. The era of frame grabbing from devices that have no
    digital interface or a proprietary digital interface has largely
    passed into history, except for essentially obsolete devices.

    Having said that, there are still sites with such obsolete devices, or
    applications for which the source video quality is not terribly high
    in the first place, and there is still a market for frame grabbing
    systems. See for example products like TIMS (http://www.tims.com/).

    David

+ Reply to Thread