Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart? - DICOM ; Hi all, I am looking for answer to this questions: "What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from a primary image?" I detailed the question here: http://groups.google.com/group/medic...5a9d71c7c34efd I apologise for cross posting in anticipation of ...

  1. Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    Hi all,

    I am looking for answer to this questions:

    "What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    a primary image?"

    I detailed the question here:

    http://groups.google.com/group/medic...5a9d71c7c34efd

    I apologise for cross posting in anticipation of a rich answer.

    Thanks!

    P.

  2. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    >"What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    >a primary image?"

    check its sop-class-uid ?

  3. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    On May 21, 12:50*am, Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
    > >"What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    > >a primary image?"

    > check its sop-class-uid ?

    Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:

    http://groups.google.com/group/medic...5a9d71c7c34efd

    I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    properly.

    I appreciate your response.

  4. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    On May 21, 10:06 am, "Pixel.to.life" wrote:
    > On May 21, 12:50 am, Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
    >
    > > >"What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    > > >a primary image?"

    > > check its sop-class-uid ?

    > Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/medic...owse_thread/th...
    >
    > I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    > properly.
    >
    > I appreciate your response.

    I never realized that before: this is actually funny to call SOP Class
    UID a 'Type 1' attribute. Isn't it a chicken or egg problem

    -Mathieu

  5. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    On May 21, 4:06*am, "Pixel.to.life" wrote:
    > On May 21, 12:50*am, Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
    >
    > > >"What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    > > >a primary image?"

    > > check its sop-class-uid ?

    > Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/medic...owse_thread/th...
    >
    > I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    > properly.
    >
    > I appreciate your response.

    It would not be a valid DICOM composite instance without a SOP Class
    UID.

    Don't forget the multi-frame SC SOP Classes:

    Multiframe Single Bit Secondary Capture Image Storage
    "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.1"
    Multiframe Grayscale Byte Secondary Capture Image Storage
    "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.2"
    Multiframe Grayscale Word Secondary Capture Image Storage
    "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.3"
    Multiframe True Color Secondary Capture Image Storage
    "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.4"

    For what reason do you want to distinguish Secondary Capture from
    other SOP Classes, by the way ? I ask because you may need to check
    more than just the SOP Class if there are certain things that you want
    to be able to detect.

    David

  6. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    On May 21, 4:44*am, David Clunie wrote:

    > > > check its sop-class-uid ?

    > > Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:

    > >http://groups.google.com/group/medic...owse_thread/th...

    > > I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    > > properly.

    > > I appreciate your response.

    > It would not be a valid DICOM composite instance without a SOP Class
    > UID.
    >
    > Don't forget the multi-frame SC SOP Classes:
    >
    > Multiframe Single Bit Secondary Capture Image Storage
    > "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.1"
    > Multiframe Grayscale Byte Secondary Capture Image Storage
    > "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.2"
    > Multiframe Grayscale Word Secondary Capture Image Storage
    > "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.3"
    > Multiframe True Color Secondary Capture Image Storage
    > "1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.4"
    >
    > For what reason do you want to distinguish Secondary Capture from
    > other SOP Classes, by the way ? I ask because you may need to check
    > more than just the SOP Class if there are certain things that you want
    > to be able to detect.
    >
    > David

    Thanks, David, Mathieu.

    David,

    You hit the right note. The puspose is for my free (soon to be
    opensource for research) system to be able to detect relevant
    attributes of secondary captures, and if possible, present it visually
    to the user.

    I am just starting to delve into it, but my first aim is to be able to
    display color RGB captures, reformatted volumes, etc; In next step: to
    be able to detect and display multi frame data too.

    Prashant.

  7. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    >> >"What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    >> >a primary image?"

    >> check its sop-class-uid ?

    >Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/group/medic...5a9d71c7c34efd
    >
    >I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    >properly.

    no matter which type the sop-class-uid has .. no sop-class no image.

  8. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    Hello Pixel,

    Pixel.to.life schrieb:
    > On May 21, 12:50 am, Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
    >>> "What is the most reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart from
    >>> a primary image?"

    >> check its sop-class-uid ?

    > Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/medic...5a9d71c7c34efd
    >
    > I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    > properly.
    >
    > I appreciate your response.

    If you read the SOP Common Module description in Part 3 (PS3.3-2008) of
    the DICOM Standard, you will find it is Type 1. It has to be included.
    And I never seen an Image in real wildlife that has none.

    Hope this helps,

    Peter

  9. Re: Reliable way to tell a secondary capture apart?

    On Jun 7, 4:03*am, Peter B Schmidt wrote:
    > Hello Pixel,
    >
    > Pixel.to.life schrieb:

    > >> check its sop-class-uid ?

    > > Thanks Sascha. I mentioned this in my other thread:

    > >http://groups.google.com/group/medic...owse_thread/th...

    > > I wanted to make sure this is a type I tag and vendors follow it
    > > properly.

    > > I appreciate your response.

    > If you read the SOP Common Module description in Part 3 (PS3.3-2008) of
    > the DICOM Standard, you will find it is Type 1. It has to be included.
    > And I never seen an Image in real wildlife that has none.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Peter

    Understood, Peter. Thanks. I already started using it.

    I faced one new problem though: dcmtk API will not reliably query this
    tag from all images...I tried several I will test more and see.

    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread