VR=US or SS all derives from 0028,0103 ? - DICOM

This is a discussion on VR=US or SS all derives from 0028,0103 ? - DICOM ; Hello, Basically the question is: can I safely assume than any data elements with VR='US or SS' in the PS 3.6 - 2008 has a VR that derives from the value of data element 0028,0103 ? I believe the answer ...

  1. VR=US or SS all derives from 0028,0103 ?

    Hello,

    Basically the question is: can I safely assume than any data
    elements with VR='US or SS' in the PS 3.6 - 2008 has a VR that derives
    from the value of data element 0028,0103 ?

    I believe the answer is yes, but I could not find anything for tag
    0028,0071. So as of now I do not know what VR I should choose for this
    tag if I ever find it in a dataset.

    Comments ?
    -Mathieu
    Ps: Also the fact that it is placed (physically) in the dataset before
    0028,0103 makes it a little painful to handle.

  2. Re: VR=US or SS all derives from 0028,0103 ?

    Hi Mathieu

    Don't assume anything. Check the definition of each attribute so
    classified in PS 3.3 to be sure that the semantics are consistent.

    You won't find anything about Perimeter Value (0028,0071) anywhere in
    DICOM because it is ancient PS 2 ACR-NEMA compression stuff, and the
    concept of VRs was quite different back then (it was described as BI).

    I put "US or SS" as the VR when I added these "retired" attributes,
    since it seemed consistent with the definition in PS 2 of this being
    the value used used to substitute for omitted pixels (i.e., it is
    like Pixel Padding Value).

    I have never heard of (0028,0071) ever being implemented, so this is
    probably a purely theoretical exercise.

    David

    Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Basically the question is: can I safely assume than any data
    > elements with VR='US or SS' in the PS 3.6 - 2008 has a VR that derives
    > from the value of data element 0028,0103 ?
    >
    > I believe the answer is yes, but I could not find anything for tag
    > 0028,0071. So as of now I do not know what VR I should choose for this
    > tag if I ever find it in a dataset.
    >
    > Comments ?
    > -Mathieu
    > Ps: Also the fact that it is placed (physically) in the dataset before
    > 0028,0103 makes it a little painful to handle.

+ Reply to Thread