Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation - DICOM

This is a discussion on Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation - DICOM ; Hello Experts, I have one doubt regarding value representation for Dicom Tag "CS". I searched Part3 of Dicom Standard, All CS representation contains only enumeration kind of values. Is it mandatory all CS should be Enumerated types only? Advanced Thanks ...

  1. Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation

    Hello Experts,
    I have one doubt regarding value representation for Dicom Tag "CS".
    I searched Part3 of Dicom Standard, All CS representation contains
    only enumeration kind of values.
    Is it mandatory all CS should be Enumerated types only?

    Advanced Thanks & Regards,
    Kiran Kumar Singani

  2. Re: Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation

    On Mar 14, 12:23 am, Singani wrote:
    > Hello Experts,
    > I have one doubt regarding value representation for Dicom Tag "CS".
    > I searched Part3 of Dicom Standard, All CS representation contains
    > only enumeration kind of values.
    > Is it mandatory all CS should be Enumerated types only?
    >
    > Advanced Thanks & Regards,
    > Kiran Kumar Singani

    Yes, a DICOM Element with VR=CS ( Code String ) has a well defined
    value depending on the tag. The allowed values for a CS tag may be be
    restricted based on the IOD using the tag.

  3. Re: Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation

    No, CS is a VR and nothing more may be assumed.

    Many attributes with a CS VR have Enumerated Values, but many others
    have Defined Terms instead, and yet others have no such restriction.

    However, the converse is largely true; that when we need to
    have Enumerated Values or Defined Terms that are strings (as opposed
    to numeric values or codes), then we use a CS VR rather than any other
    string VR.

    Why do you ask ? I.e., what does it matter ?

    David

    Singani wrote:
    > Hello Experts,
    > I have one doubt regarding value representation for Dicom Tag "CS".
    > I searched Part3 of Dicom Standard, All CS representation contains
    > only enumeration kind of values.
    > Is it mandatory all CS should be Enumerated types only?
    >
    > Advanced Thanks & Regards,
    > Kiran Kumar Singani

  4. Re: Reg:Dicom CS Value Representation

    Hi David,
    I want to add one private tag that is type of string which is known
    values only...dilemma here is CS or other value representations(string
    type) can also will be used here ?

    David Clunie wrote:
    > No, CS is a VR and nothing more may be assumed.
    >
    > Many attributes with a CS VR have Enumerated Values, but many others
    > have Defined Terms instead, and yet others have no such restriction.
    >
    > However, the converse is largely true; that when we need to
    > have Enumerated Values or Defined Terms that are strings (as opposed
    > to numeric values or codes), then we use a CS VR rather than any other
    > string VR.
    >
    > Why do you ask ? I.e., what does it matter ?
    >
    > David
    >
    > Singani wrote:
    > > Hello Experts,
    > > I have one doubt regarding value representation for Dicom Tag "CS".
    > > I searched Part3 of Dicom Standard, All CS representation contains
    > > only enumeration kind of values.
    > > Is it mandatory all CS should be Enumerated types only?
    > >
    > > Advanced Thanks & Regards,
    > > Kiran Kumar Singani

+ Reply to Thread