Dicom- Java Or .NET - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dicom- Java Or .NET - DICOM ; Hi all There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better for dicom.and why?...

  1. Dicom- Java Or .NET

    Hi all

    There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better
    for dicom.and why?

  2. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    On Feb 28, 4:26 am, "rajeshkank...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better
    > for dicom.and why?

    Neither one is better than the other. I work with DICOM in C++, Java
    and C#. Each has there own advantages. Probably the only downside
    to .NET languanges is that they only run on Microsoft Operating
    Systems. Java and C++ can be used on Windows, Unix, and Mac OS X.

  3. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    On Mar 1, 6:56 pm, DelFarmer wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 4:26 am, "rajeshkank...@gmail.com"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi all

    > > There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better
    > > for dicom.and why?

    > Neither one is better than the other. I work with DICOM in C++, Java
    > and C#. Each has there own advantages. Probably the only downside
    > to .NET languanges is that they only run on Microsoft Operating
    > Systems. Java and C++ can be used on Windows, Unix, and Mac OS X.

    I have to agree with DelFarmer, the only language that's best is the
    one you know, that's all.
    GDCM is being developed using C++, but for users the layer has been
    wrapped in python (java to come soon). I know that .NET is a whole
    different beast, but people from swig might have a better answer for
    that (managed layer vs unmanaged).

    -Mathieu

  4. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    DelFarmer wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 4:26 am, "rajeshkank...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better
    >> for dicom.and why?

    > Neither one is better than the other. I work with DICOM in C++, Java
    > and C#. Each has there own advantages. Probably the only downside
    > to .NET languanges is that they only run on Microsoft Operating
    > Systems. Java and C++ can be used on Windows, Unix, and Mac OS X.

    Mono - free, open-source implementation for C# (.Net) available for
    Linux and FreeBSD, among others.

  5. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    rajeshkankran@gmail.com wrote:

    > There are two programing platform java and .net which one is better
    > for dicom.and why?

    Potentially either or neither, depending on all sorts of other things.
    For example, what do you actually want to *do*? if it's image
    processing and numerical analysis of image data then I'd probably use
    IDL, for instance.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    Mono doesn't have winforms, which makes it pretty pointless for GUI
    development.

  7. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    On Mar 5, 7:40 am, Robbie Barnett wrote:
    > Mono doesn't have winforms, which makes it pretty pointless for GUI
    > development.

    Hi all,
    Thank for participating is this.

    one more question i want to ask u all ,that for GUI and Image
    Processing what would u prefer to use...JAVA or C# or Visual C++

    Thanks once again..

  8. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    If you're developing for Windows and don't need any cross platform
    capabilities, I would do it in C# or C++ (wherever your proficiency
    lies, and whichever will be easier to maintain). Otherwise, Java.

    As for your original question, I'm a Java guy, so I would say Java.
    I'm also a member of the dcm4che.org team, and our DICOM toolkit it
    developed in Java. I'm not going to push my preference on anyone
    though, so generally when picking a language to develop in you need to
    consider (as I stated above) the following: 1) your potential
    deployment environment(s), 2) the expertise of your development team,
    3) what development platform is going to be easiest for your team to
    support.

    -- Damien

    On Mar 4, 10:59 pm, "rajeshkank...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 7:40 am, Robbie Barnett wrote:
    >
    > > Mono doesn't have winforms, which makes it pretty pointless for GUI
    > > development.

    > Hi all,
    > Thank for participating is this.
    >
    > one more question i want to ask u all ,that for GUI and Image
    > Processing what would u prefer to use...JAVA or C# or Visual C++
    >
    > Thanks once again..

  9. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    rajeshkankran@gmail.com wrote:

    > one more question i want to ask u all ,that for GUI and Image
    > Processing what would u prefer to use...JAVA or C# or Visual C++

    Errrr, IDL! It has all the image processing functionality you're likely
    to want already implemented, and a set of development widgets to make
    GUI programming easier. It's also cross platform (Windows, Mac, linux
    and UNIX) and these days lets you redistribute binaries free with the
    IDL virtual machine.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Re: Dicom- Java Or .NET

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > rajeshkankran@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> one more question i want to ask u all ,that for GUI and Image
    >> Processing what would u prefer to use...JAVA or C# or Visual C++

    > Errrr, IDL! It has all the image processing functionality you're likely
    > to want already implemented, and a set of development widgets to make
    > GUI programming easier. It's also cross platform (Windows, Mac, linux
    > and UNIX) and these days lets you redistribute binaries free with the
    > IDL virtual machine.

    Oh, and it has DICOM read functionality built in, and you can buy an
    optional DICOM services module for it. I'm not trying to sell it, but I
    do use it for what you're asking. See http://www.ittvis.com/idl/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

+ Reply to Thread