Patient's Age meaning - DICOM

This is a discussion on Patient's Age meaning - DICOM ; What is the Meaning of Patient's Age (0010, 1010) in the image header? I believe it is the age of patient at the time the exam was taken and as such is always valid even though somebody looks at the ...

  1. Patient's Age meaning

    What is the Meaning of Patient's Age (0010, 1010) in the image header?
    I believe it is the age of patient at the time the exam was taken and
    as such is always valid even though somebody looks at the exam a
    couple of years later. It does not mean the current age of the patient
    does it? My conclusion is that if a SCU sends the Patient's Age in the
    header, there is never a need to recalculate it or remove it later on.
    It should be left unchanged in the header for ever. By other words the
    age is equivalent to Study Date minus Patient's birth date. Could
    somebody please confirm this is the case? Thanks.

  2. Re: Patient's Age meaning

    Correct, that is why it is in the Patient Study Module which as at the
    Study level in the information model, rather than in the Patient Module,
    which is at the Patient level.

    Age is like Size (height) and Weight in that respect.

    David

    ptrjakes@gmail.com wrote:
    > What is the Meaning of Patient's Age (0010, 1010) in the image header?
    > I believe it is the age of patient at the time the exam was taken and
    > as such is always valid even though somebody looks at the exam a
    > couple of years later. It does not mean the current age of the patient
    > does it? My conclusion is that if a SCU sends the Patient's Age in the
    > header, there is never a need to recalculate it or remove it later on.
    > It should be left unchanged in the header for ever. By other words the
    > age is equivalent to Study Date minus Patient's birth date. Could
    > somebody please confirm this is the case? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread