Query on C-FIND - DICOM

This is a discussion on Query on C-FIND - DICOM ; The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve SCU: Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details treated within this date range. ...

  1. Query on C-FIND

    The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve
    SCU:

    Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should
    return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details
    treated within this date range.

    1. In order to implement this query using DICOM Query/ Retrieve, can
    we just provide the date range in this query with no patient
    information. Will

    the SCP be able to comprehend this query if only date range is
    passed in the query?

    2. Which information model (Patient/ Study information model) is
    preferrable for this?

    3. Is there a sample code/ implementation available for the above
    query for reference?

    Thanks in advance
    Vijaya

  2. Re: Query on C-FIND

    On Feb 21, 2:33 pm, vijaya wrote:
    > The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve
    > SCU:
    >
    > Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should
    > return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details
    > treated within this date range.
    >
    > 1. In order to implement this query using DICOM Query/ Retrieve, can
    > we just provide the date range in this query with no patient
    > information. Will
    >
    > the SCP be able to comprehend this query if only date range is
    > passed in the query?
    >
    > 2. Which information model (Patient/ Study information model) is
    > preferrable for this?
    >
    > 3. Is there a sample code/ implementation available for the above
    > query for reference?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Vijaya

    Hi Vijaya

    Please search the posts in the group, there is plenty of discussion
    available. To have some idea on query please browse through
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....t&q=Bimalendu#
    I explained some of the points there.

    I hope it will help you. For more details, please browse through part
    4.

    Regards
    Bimalendu

  3. Re: Query on C-FIND

    On Feb 21, 7:22*pm, bimalen...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 21, 2:33 pm, vijaya wrote:
    >

    > > The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve
    > > SCU:

    > > Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should
    > > return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details
    > > treated within this date range.

    > > 1. In order to implement this query using DICOM Query/ Retrieve, can
    > > we just provide the date range in this query with no patient
    > > information. Will

    > > * * the SCP be able to comprehend this query if only date range is
    > > passed in the query?

    > > 2. Which information model (Patient/ Study information model) is
    > > preferrable for this?

    > > 3. Is there a sample code/ implementation available for the above
    > > query for reference?

    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Vijaya

    > Hi Vijaya
    >
    > Please search the posts in the group, there is plenty of discussion
    > available. To have some idea on query please browse throughhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/browse_thread/thr...
    > I explained some of the points there.
    >
    > I hope it will help you. For more details, please browse through part
    > 4.
    >
    > Regards
    > Bimalendu- Hide quoted text -

    hi Bimalendu,

    Thanks a lot for the reference link. I have gone through this link. In
    context of the discussion in the link & also the DICOM standard, I am
    summarizing my understanding for the query posted by me:

    The query to be addressed is "If the SCU queries by start date and end
    date, the SCP should return list of patients who have undergone
    treatment in this date range with their study/ series and image
    instance information".

    In order to address this query SCU may use the following:

    Root model type: Study root model

    Attributes sent in the query as partt of study level:

    Study Date (SCU will send Start Date, End Date in this attribute), The
    remaining attributes such as Study Time, Study Description, Patient
    Name, Patient ID, Patient Birth Date, Sex, Age, Referring Physician
    etc will be sent with no values.

    There is no patient ID or name to be sent as the model used is a study
    root model.

    In response, SCP should send patient list with study, series and image
    instance information.

    But in your discussion, you have mentioned that for such a query
    patient list will be returned but no study information. Can you please
    clarify this point? If I need study, series and image instance
    information in any case do I need to change my query, please suggest.

    Thanks,
    Vijaya

  4. Re: Query on C-FIND

    On Feb 22, 11:38 am, vijaya wrote:
    > On Feb 21, 7:22 pm, bimalen...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 21, 2:33 pm, vijaya wrote:

    > > > The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve
    > > > SCU:

    > > > Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should
    > > > return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details
    > > > treated within this date range.

    > > > 1. In order to implement this query using DICOM Query/ Retrieve, can
    > > > we just provide the date range in this query with no patient
    > > > information. Will

    > > > the SCP be able to comprehend this query if only date range is
    > > > passed in the query?

    > > > 2. Which information model (Patient/ Study information model) is
    > > > preferrable for this?

    > > > 3. Is there a sample code/ implementation available for the above
    > > > query for reference?

    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > > Vijaya

    > > Hi Vijaya

    > > Please search the posts in the group, there is plenty of discussion
    > > available. To have some idea on query please browse throughhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/browse_thread/thr...
    > > I explained some of the points there.

    > > I hope it will help you. For more details, please browse through part
    > > 4.

    > > Regards
    > > Bimalendu- Hide quoted text -

    > hi Bimalendu,
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the reference link. I have gone through this link. In
    > context of the discussion in the link & also the DICOM standard, I am
    > summarizing my understanding for the query posted by me:
    >
    > The query to be addressed is "If the SCU queries by start date and end
    > date, the SCP should return list of patients who have undergone
    > treatment in this date range with their study/ series and image
    > instance information".
    >
    > In order to address this query SCU may use the following:
    >
    > Root model type: Study root model
    >
    > Attributes sent in the query as partt of study level:
    >
    > Study Date (SCU will send Start Date, End Date in this attribute), The
    > remaining attributes such as Study Time, Study Description, Patient
    > Name, Patient ID, Patient Birth Date, Sex, Age, Referring Physician
    > etc will be sent with no values.
    >
    > There is no patient ID or name to be sent as the model used is a study
    > root model.
    >
    > In response, SCP should send patient list with study, series and image
    > instance information.
    >
    > But in your discussion, you have mentioned that for such a query
    > patient list will be returned but no study information. Can you please
    > clarify this point? If I need study, series and image instance
    > information in any case do I need to change my query, please suggest.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Vijaya

    Hi Vijaya

    Please see my response below:

    > Root model type: Study root model
    >
    > Attributes sent in the query as partt of study level:
    >
    > Study Date (SCU will send Start Date, End Date in this attribute), The
    > remaining attributes such as Study Time, Study Description, Patient
    > Name, Patient ID, Patient Birth Date, Sex, Age, Referring Physician
    > etc will be sent with no values.
    >
    > There is no patient ID or name to be sent as the model used is a study
    > root model.

    Yes you can use study root model with study level query for your
    problem, provided
    it covers all the attributes you need as a result.You must send
    patient ID and name
    attributes (as they are required attributes for study level query) as
    well and SCP that
    supports study root query will populate these.

    Remember for each level there are unique attributes defined in DICOM
    and
    since the query is a root query you must provide this unique
    attribute. In your
    case since model is study root and it is study level query study
    instance UID
    is a unique key and you must provide it, else query will not be valid.
    Please
    have a look in DICOM manuals to see the list of required, optional and
    unique
    attributes.

    > But in your discussion, you have mentioned that for such a query
    > patient list will be returned but no study information. Can you please
    > clarify this point? If I need study, series and image instance
    > information in any case do I need to change my query, please suggest.

    I was not right there, it was just a mistake. Since model is a study
    root model
    and study level query is fired, one must provide a unique and required
    keys
    to get the results. You cannot omit any of these keys. You can add
    optional
    keys to get additional information.

    In your case you must understand what all attributes users can query
    for
    and accordingly you should choose the model and query level. Do go
    though part 4 which describes in detail attributes (U, O, R) required
    for different
    level of queries for different models.

    Do the analysis and choose the query levels your application is going
    support.

    I hope it helps.

    Regards
    Bimalendu

  5. Re: Query on C-FIND

    On Feb 22, 7:44 pm, bimalen...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > > clarify this point? If I need study, series and image instance
    > > information in any case do I need to change my query, please suggest.

    > I was not right there, it was just a mistake. Since model is a study
    > root model
    > and study level query is fired, one must provide a unique and required
    > keys
    > to get the results. You cannot omit any of these keys. You can add
    > optional
    > keys to get additional information.
    >
    > In your case you must understand what all attributes users can query
    > for
    > and accordingly you should choose the model and query level. Do go
    > though part 4 which describes in detail attributes (U, O, R) required
    > for different
    > level of queries for different models.
    >
    > Do the analysis and choose the query levels your application is going

    Hi Vijaya

    I am sorry for my statement below about required keys, Please see the
    statement below mine to understand what are required keys:

    You must send
    > patient ID and name
    > attributes (as they are required attributes for study level query) as
    > well and SCP that
    > supports study root query will populate these.

    "At each level in the Entity-Relationship Model, a set of Attributes
    shall be defined as Required
    Keys. Required Keys imply the SCP of a C-FIND shall support matching
    based on a value
    contained in a Required Key of the C-FIND request. Multiple entities
    may have the same value
    for Required Keys. That is, a distinct value in a Required Key shall
    not necessarily identify a
    single entity at the level of the key.
    C-FIND SCPs shall support existence and matching of all Required Keys
    defined by a
    Query/Retrieve Information Model. If a C-FIND SCP manages an entity
    with a Required Key of
    zero length, the value is considered unknown and all matching against
    the zero length Required
    Key shall be considered a successful match."

    I am sorry for my mistake.

    Regards
    Bimalendu

  6. Re: Query on C-FIND

    Hi Vijaya

    vijaya wrote:
    > The following query needs to be addressed using DICOM Query/ Retrieve
    > SCU:
    >
    > Given a particular date range (Start date, End date) the SCP should
    > return the list of patients with their study/ series/ image details
    > treated within this date range.
    >

    > 1. In order to implement this query using DICOM Query/ Retrieve, can
    > we just provide the date range in this query with no patient
    > information. Will
    >
    > the SCP be able to comprehend this query if only date range is
    > passed in the query?

    Yes.

    > 2. Which information model (Patient/ Study information model) is
    > preferrable for this?

    Study Root is the most commonly implemented (many SCPs do not support
    Patient Root).

    > 3. Is there a sample code/ implementation available for the above
    > query for reference?

    Since the "STUDY" level is the top level of the (hierarchical) query,
    you do NOT need to provide a unique key, but rather values (such as
    your date range) for your "filter", and empty values for what you
    want returned.

    E.g., to return a list of study identifiers and descriptors and
    related patient information for a study date range, your query
    identifier might look like this:

    (0x0008,0x0020) StudyDate VR= VL=<0x11> <20071001-20080220>
    (0x0008,0x0030) StudyTime VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0008,0x0050) AccessionNumber VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0008,0x0052) QueryRetrieveLevel VR= VL=<0x5>
    (0x0008,0x0061) ModalitiesInStudy VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0008,0x0062) SOPClassesInStudy VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0008,0x1030) StudyDescription VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0010,0x0010) PatientName VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0010,0x0020) PatientID VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0020,0x000d) StudyInstanceUID VR= VL=<0x0> <>
    (0x0020,0x0010) StudyID VR= VL=<0x0> <>

    See for example, the source of com.pixelmed.network.FindSOPClassSCU.main().

    Note that to do the same thing with the Patient Root Model would
    require relational support or a two level query.

    David

+ Reply to Thread