Free DICOM Viewer for educational use - DICOM

This is a discussion on Free DICOM Viewer for educational use - DICOM ; Hello all, Recently I released a simple DICOM viewer for educational use, after demand of many people. You can download the software (Sante DICOM Viewer EDU) from my site at: http://www.medisoft.gr/ Best regards, Manos Kanellopoulos Biomedical Engineer Software Developer...

  1. Free DICOM Viewer for educational use

    Hello all,

    Recently I released a simple DICOM viewer for educational use, after
    demand of many people.
    You can download the software (Sante DICOM Viewer EDU) from my site
    at:
    http://www.medisoft.gr/

    Best regards,
    Manos Kanellopoulos
    Biomedical Engineer
    Software Developer

  2. Re: Free DICOM Viewer for educational use

    On Feb 8, 9:49*am, mkan...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Recently I released a simple DICOM viewer for educational use, after
    > demand of many people.
    > You can download the software (Sante DICOM Viewer EDU) from my site
    > at:http://www.medisoft.gr/
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Manos Kanellopoulos
    > Biomedical Engineer
    > Software Developer

    Hi, Manos.
    I recently downladed Sante EDU, and was quite favorably impressed with
    it among the free DICOM viewers. Our company makes ultasound machines,
    and your applicaiton was able to display them as well as any of the
    free apps we have tried.

    It did fail to do some imprtant things, however. Most important,
    ultrasound multi-image files have time vectors in them for displaying
    the loops. Your application, like every free application I've
    encountered, does not use that infromation. So the loops are free-
    running instead of reflecting the actual times of the sequence. If you
    want to tweak your app, this would be a big improvement over the other
    freebies.

    Your application reads DICOMDIRs and displays the results in a very
    useful way -- although I haven't figured out any use for the DICOMDIR
    window that you display at the bottom of the screen. It does not
    connect to the DICOMDIR that is opened in a separate dialog box, and
    serves no working purpose that I could discern.

    It would be wonderful if your applciation would be able to create new
    DICOMDIRs, but I've never encountered a freebie that can do that. One
    other set of really nice free tools is the measurement tools like
    those that Philips provides in its free viewer (http://
    http://www.medical.philips.com/main/.../connectivity/ scroll to the
    bottom of the page and download Philips DICOM viewer. BTW, their
    viewer only changes contrast and brightness on the currently-viewed
    image in a loop -- an incredibly stupid thing to do. Other than that,
    it's not an awful free viewer, either, and its measurement tools set
    the standard for freebie viewers.)

    One note to potential users -- we create palettized image data. Sante
    can read that data properly. You need to go to the Image/Mode menu
    item and select RGB Color in order to be able to adjust contrast and
    brightness on such images. It works properly once you do that.

    Thanks for making such a useful tool available!

    --Tom Clune

  3. Re: Free DICOM Viewer for educational use

    Hi Tom,
    thank you for your replay.

    This tool is designed to be as minimal as possible because "people on
    the courses tend to mess about with the buttons and muck up the
    images!"
    So I have kept only the absolute necessary functionality. That was the
    specification for that kind of use.

    > Your application reads DICOMDIRs and displays the results in a very
    > useful way -- although I haven't figured out any use for the DICOMDIR
    > window that you display at the bottom of the screen. It does not
    > connect to the DICOMDIR that is opened in a separate dialog box, and
    > serves no working purpose that I could discern.

    If you have opened a DICOMDIR, this window displays the DICOMDIR's
    contents and allows the user to select an other patient/study/series
    that is contained in this DICOMDIR.
    Of course you can hide it, if you do not use it.

    > It would be wonderful if your applciation would be able to create new
    > DICOMDIRs, but I've never encountered a freebie that can do that.

    You can use one of my other programs in demo mode (the demos are time-
    unlimited and this function is not locked, the DICOMDIR will be
    valid).

    Best regards,
    Manos

+ Reply to Thread