Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011) - DICOM

This is a discussion on Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011) - DICOM ; Hi I have a simple question for Dicom Series; 1. Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rows and columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)? Not that I have found any studies with different ...

  1. Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)

    Hi I have a simple question for Dicom Series;

    1. Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rows
    and columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)?
    Not that I have found any studies with different numbers of rows and
    columns in a single series, but it would make it easier to display a
    series- I can just check a single image instead of all 1000
    images. .

    If so, where in the standard is this discussed?

    2. I believe that Modality 0008 0060 is a fixed value for an entire
    series. Where do I find this in the standard as well?

    I recall someone once pointed out to me a good correction item (CP
    section of David Clunie website) that was very helpful in getting a
    grip on extracting thedicom image data from common CT and MRI
    formats. Can someone remind me which one it is? It was easier to read
    than wading through sections 5 and 3.
    Perhaps it was CP014: or is there another one as well?

    Mitchell

  2. Re: Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)

    Hi Mitchell,

    Answer to Q 2. "I believe that Modality 0008 0060 is a fixed value for
    an entire
    series. Where do I find this in the standard as well? "

    Please see the section C.7.3.1.1.1 on Page 285 of the DICOM Standard
    2007 version PDF no 3.
    I hope it is the same what u are looking for.

    About other questions I am searching for information and will let you
    know if there is any finding...
    Have a nice time!

    Regards,
    Prashant

    On Feb 6, 7:42*am, shul wrote:
    > Hi I have a simple question for Dicom Series;
    >
    > 1. Do all images in an dicom series *have to have same number of rows
    > and columns (0028 0010 and *0028 0011)?
    > Not that I have found any studies with different numbers of rows and
    > columns in a single series, but it would make it easier to display a
    > series- I can just check a single image instead *of all 1000
    > images. .
    >
    > If so, where in the standard is this discussed?
    >
    > 2. I believe that Modality 0008 0060 is a fixed value for an entire
    > series. Where do I find this in the standard as well?
    >
    > I recall someone once pointed out to me a good correction item (CP
    > section of *David Clunie website) that was very helpful in getting a
    > grip on extracting *thedicom *image data from common *CT and MRI
    > formats. Can someone remind *me which one it is? It was easier to read
    > than wading through sections 5 and 3.
    > Perhaps it was CP014: or is there another one as well?
    >
    > Mitchell

  3. Re: Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)

    In general, the images in a series do not have to have the same number
    of rows and columns. There is an exception for PET, where Rows and
    Columns must be consistent across the series. (There may be other
    exceptions I've missed, too.)

    Whether it's common or not for rows and columns to change within a
    series is another issue. I'm just answering about what the spec says.

    Here is a way to find this in the spec:

    Look in PS 3.3 at Figure A.1-1 DICOM Composite Instance IOD
    Information Model, which shows the relationships of DICOM Information
    Entities (IE) in Composite Information Objects, including images.
    Just below it you'll also find additional descriptions in A.1.2.3
    SERIES IE and A.1.2.6 IMAGE IE. You'll see that one Series IE can
    contain zero, one or more (0-n) Images IEs. Unless told otherwise,
    like with PET, attributes in the Image IE can change within a series
    and any attribute in the Series IE must be the same for all of the
    images (and other things) in a series.

    Now, you need to find what IE has Rows (0028,0010) and Columns
    (0028,0011). From the descriptions above, you'd probably guess that
    they are in the Image IE. You'd be right, but let's prove it.

    For images (not print boxes, directory entries, SR's, GSPS', etc.),
    Rows (0028,0010) and Columns (0028,0011) are attributes in:
    Table C.8-106 MR Spectroscopy Data Module <- not actually an image
    Table C.7-11b Image Pixel Macro

    Let's skip over MR spectroscopy for the moment, since it's not really
    an image. (See Note in A.36.1.)

    The Image Pixel Macro is referenced in:
    C.7.6.1 General Image Module (Table C.7-9)
    C.7.6.3 Image Pixel Module (Table C.7-11a)
    C.8.13.1 Enhanced MR Image Module (Table C.8-79)
    C.8.15.2 Enhanced CT Image Module (Table C.8-114)
    C.8.19.2 Enhanced XA/XRF Image Module (Table C.8.19.2-1)

    The first two are defined under C.7.5 Common Image IE Modules, so
    they're Image IE for sure. For the last three, the Enhanced
    Image Modules, look through PS 3.3 to see where each of
    these are referenced in Image IOD Module Tables (in Annex A). In each
    case, the module is shown as part of the Image IE.

    So, Rows and Columns are attributes of the Image IE, not the Series
    IE. So far, so good.

    But, IODs are allowed to have modules that specialize attributes, and
    the PET Series Module does just that. C.8.9.1.1.1 Specialization of
    Image Plane Module and Image Pixel Module Attributes says
    "For PET Series, the following Image Pixel Module attributes shall not
    vary from Image to Image:
    Photometric Interpretation (0028,0004)
    Rows (0028,0010)
    Columns (0028,0011)
    Bits Allocated (0028,0100)
    Bits Stored (0028,0101)
    Pixel Representation (0028,0103)"

    So, PET images must have consistent Rows and Columns throughout the
    series. The others, not so much.

    As for MR spectroscopy, it's not an image, but it does have Rows and
    Columns. If you follow the same approach as above (left as an
    exercise for the reader), you'll find that the MR Spectroscopy Module
    is part of the MR Spectroscopy IE, which has the same relationship to
    the Series IE as the Image IE does.

    And as for Modality, that's a series-level attribute. But, now you
    know how to find that out.

    Hope this helps,
    Dan Konigsbach
    Manager of Framework Software Development
    DR Systems, Inc.

  4. Re: Do all images in an dicom series have to have same number of rowsand columns (0028 0010 and 0028 0011)

    I am extraordinarily grateful for your taking the time to lead me
    through this point. I was unaware of the concept of Modules that
    specialize attributes. I thank
    you for your kind patience.

    On the other hand, I have yet to see a CT scan or MRI with changing
    numbers of rows and columns in a single series. I am glad this is
    required for pet. I will think to put in a check for other image types
    in the open source software display module I am writing.

    Your kindness recalls for me the great helpfulness and patience that
    nicely exists in members of the medical imaging community. I recall
    the first time I met Gunter Zeilinger at RSNA many years ago and he
    also was kind enough to explain to me aspects of the dicom standard.
    Thank you again you have been very helpful!

    Mitchell Laks

+ Reply to Thread