OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography? - DICOM

This is a discussion on OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography? - DICOM ; Hello, We have been facing some controversy in the use of `Picture Archiving And Communication Systems' over at the PACS Wikipedia article and I thought this would be a great place to gather others opinion on the subject. Could anyone ...

  1. OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography?

    Hello,

    We have been facing some controversy in the use of `Picture Archiving
    And Communication Systems' over at the PACS Wikipedia article and I
    thought this would be a great place to gather others opinion on the
    subject.

    Could anyone confirm/deny the use of PACS systems for other purpose
    than healthcare such as Airport Security (X-Ray devices used to scan
    luggages)?

    Thanks,

    P.S. Correct me if this kind of thread is not desired around here, I'm
    not familiar with this group's policies.

  2. Re: OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography?

    > Could anyone confirm/deny the use of PACS systems for other purpose
    > than healthcare such as Airport Security (X-Ray devices used to scan
    > luggages)?

    There is an ASTM standard called "DICONDE" (Digital Imaging and Communication in Nondestructive
    Evaluation) which is essentially an extension of DICOM and permits, to my knowledge, the storage of
    DICONDE objects in a DICOM PACS. Whether or not this is much used in practice I cannot say, though.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  3. Re: OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography?

    On Feb 4, 6:45 am, Marco Eichelberg
    wrote:
    > > Could anyone confirm/deny the use of PACS systems for other purpose
    > > than healthcare such as Airport Security (X-Ray devices used to scan
    > > luggages)?

    > There is an ASTM standard called "DICONDE" (Digital Imaging and Communication in Nondestructive
    > Evaluation) which is essentially an extension of DICOM and permits, to my knowledge, the storage of
    > DICONDE objects in a DICOM PACS. Whether or not this is much used in practice I cannot say, though.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

    Thank you for your input. More search on my side revealed there might
    be one company providing "security" services through PACS systems;
    http://www.guardiantechintl.com/secu...npage=pinpoint . It seems
    to be used by the Department of Homeland Security according to this
    EDGAR security filling: http://sec.edgar-online.com/2007/04/.../Section17.asp

    "... The teaming
    agreement covers the collaborative development of enhanced checkpoint
    threat
    detection capabilities to detect explosives and explosive devices in
    baggage as
    it passes through airport security checkpoints for an anticipated
    procurement by
    the Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security
    Administration
    (TSA) ..."

    I have contacted them to find out if this product is or includes a
    PACS system, will be updating wikipedia if it avears to be true.

  4. Re: OT: Is PACS specific to healthcare or digital radiography?

    OK,

    Have not responded to anybody for a long time........but this is kinda
    close to home, at least right now.

    There is a new NEMA effort to standardize exchange of images from
    security devices. We are trying to base this new standard largely on
    DICOM, the details are not all clear at this poitnt. If you want to
    join the effort contact Harry Massey or Howars Clark at NEMA and they
    can point you to the right people.

    dee
    ;-D

    On Feb 4, 8:11 am, Nicolas Couture wrote:
    > On Feb 4, 6:45 am, Marco Eichelberg
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > Could anyone confirm/deny the use of PACS systems for other purpose
    > > > than healthcare such as Airport Security (X-Ray devices used to scan
    > > > luggages)?

    > > There is an ASTM standard called "DICONDE" (Digital Imaging and Communication in Nondestructive
    > > Evaluation) which is essentially an extension of DICOM and permits, to my knowledge, the storage of
    > > DICONDE objects in a DICOM PACS. Whether or not this is much used in practice I cannot say, though.

    > > Regards,
    > > Marco Eichelberg

    > Thank you for your input. More search on my side revealed there might
    > be one company providing "security" services through PACS systems;http://www.guardiantechintl.com/secu...npage=pinpoint. It seems
    > to be used by the Department of Homeland Security according to this
    > EDGAR security filling:http://sec.edgar-online.com/2007/04/...0021/Section17...
    >
    > "... The teaming
    > agreement covers the collaborative development of enhanced checkpoint
    > threat
    > detection capabilities to detect explosives and explosive devices in
    > baggage as
    > it passes through airport security checkpoints for an anticipated
    > procurement by
    > the Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security
    > Administration
    >
    > I have contacted them to find out if this product is or includes a
    > PACS system, will be updating wikipedia if it avears to be true.

+ Reply to Thread