Determination of "Meta Information Header" - DICOM

This is a discussion on Determination of "Meta Information Header" - DICOM ; Hello Everyone, I have to store the DICOM files on the disk (i:e both read / write operations performed) .The need to confirm the following DICOM Meta Information ;- 1. File Meta Elements Group Length (0002,0000) The file Meta Information ...

  1. Determination of "Meta Information Header"

    Hello Everyone,

    I have to store the DICOM files on the disk (i:e
    both read / write operations performed) .The need to confirm the
    following DICOM Meta Information ;-

    1. File Meta Elements Group Length (0002,0000)
    The file Meta Information have to be generated for reading
    and writing of DICOM file?Please clarify.

    2. File Meta Information Version (0002,0001)
    I am not able to interpret its purpose.

    I want to know that how the values
    of the above attributes are determined?Please help me out.

    Waiting For The Reply
    Thanks In Advance
    Regards,
    Navdeep

  2. Re: Determination of "Meta Information Header"

    On Jan 31, 2:22 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have to store the DICOM files on the disk (i:e
    > both read / write operations performed) .The need to confirm the
    > following DICOM Meta Information ;-
    >
    > 1. File Meta Elements Group Length (0002,0000)
    > The file Meta Information have to be generated for reading
    > and writing of DICOM file?Please clarify.
    >
    > 2. File Meta Information Version (0002,0001)
    > I am not able to interpret its purpose.
    >
    > I want to know that how the values
    > of the above attributes are determined?Please help me out.
    >
    > Waiting For The Reply
    > Thanks In Advance
    > Regards,
    > Navdeep

    Hi Navdeep,
    Let me explain how group length is calculated.

    Every dicom has a meta information, the length of the meta infomation
    will be stored in group length tag.
    To calculated this length you have to consider following tags.
    1. File Meta Information Version(0x0002,0001)
    2. Media Storage SOPClassuid(0x0002,0002)
    3. Media Storage SOP InstanceUID(0002,0003)
    4.Transfer Syntax UID(0002,0010)
    5.Impelemntation Class uid(0002,0012)
    6. Implementation Version Name(0002,0013)
    So 6 dicom tags length will be stored in group length.
    While calculated this tag length , you have to consider the TAG,VR,VL
    information lenth.

  3. Re: Determination of "Meta Information Header"

    On Feb 11, 7:47 am, Singani wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 2:22 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    >

    > > Hello Everyone,

    > > I have to store the DICOM files on the disk (i:e
    > > both read / write operations performed) .The need to confirm the
    > > following DICOM Meta Information ;-

    > > 1. File Meta Elements Group Length (0002,0000)
    > > The file Meta Information have to be generated for reading
    > > and writing of DICOM file?Please clarify.

    > > 2. File Meta Information Version (0002,0001)
    > > I am not able to interpret its purpose.

    > > I want to know that how the values
    > > of the above attributes are determined?Please help me out.

    > > Waiting For The Reply
    > > Thanks In Advance
    > > Regards,
    > > Navdeep

    > Hi Navdeep,
    > Let me explain how group length is calculated.
    >
    > Every dicom has a meta information, the length of the meta infomation
    > will be stored in group length tag.
    > To calculated this length you have to consider following tags.
    > 1. File Meta Information Version(0x0002,0001)
    > 2. Media Storage SOPClassuid(0x0002,0002)
    > 3. Media Storage SOP InstanceUID(0002,0003)
    > 4.Transfer Syntax UID(0002,0010)
    > 5.Impelemntation Class uid(0002,0012)
    > 6. Implementation Version Name(0002,0013)
    > So 6 dicom tags length will be stored in group length.
    > While calculated this tag length , you have to consider the TAG,VR,VL
    > information lenth.

    Those are simply the most common one, you forgot for example Source
    Application Entity Title (0002,0016). For a complete list of tags
    check PS 3.10.
    Anyway the computation of group length is defined in PS 3.5: 7.2 GROUP
    LENGTH

    HTH
    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread