Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD - DICOM

This is a discussion on Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD - DICOM ; Hello everyone, I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes: 1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002) 2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003) 3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) ...

  1. Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD

    Hello everyone,

    I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen
    is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes:

    1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002)
    2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003)
    3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010)

    These attributes are neither Mandatory nor Optional for this IOD.But
    when i studied Part 5 its clearly mentioned that every DICOM compliant
    application should have some value of Transfer Syntax UID?
    Please Help me out.
    Waiting For the Reply
    Regards
    Navdeep

  2. Re: Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD

    On Jan 28, 1:52 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen
    > is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes:
    >
    > 1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002)
    > 2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003)
    > 3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010)
    >
    > These attributes are neither Mandatory nor Optional for this IOD.But
    > when i studied Part 5 its clearly mentioned that every DICOM compliant
    > application should have some value of Transfer Syntax UID?
    > Please Help me out.

    You definitely need those:

    Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002) should be
    1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7 (Secondary Capture)
    Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) should be 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50 (JPEG
    Baseline (Process 1): Default Transfer Syntax for Lossy JPEG 8 Bit
    Image Compression)
    and
    Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003) should contains the value
    you defined in SOP Instance UID (0008,0018)

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  3. Re: Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD

    Hello Mathieu,

    Thanks for clarifying my doubts.But how will i come to know that these
    are mandatory for SC Image IOD or not (Since after reading Part 3 all
    that i understood was that only the Type 1 attributes of the choosen
    IOD i:e in my case SC IOD, are mandatory.And the attribute Transfer
    Syntax UID is not mandatory attribute for SC IOD) ?
    If they are mandatory then what are the other attributes that are
    also the same in case of SC Image IOD and which Part of DICOM
    specifies this?

    Thanks In Advance
    Regards
    Navdeep

    Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 1:52 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen
    > > is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes:
    > >
    > > 1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002)
    > > 2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003)
    > > 3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010)
    > >
    > > These attributes are neither Mandatory nor Optional for this IOD.But
    > > when i studied Part 5 its clearly mentioned that every DICOM compliant
    > > application should have some value of Transfer Syntax UID?
    > > Please Help me out.

    > You definitely need those:
    >
    > Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002) should be
    > 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7 (Secondary Capture)
    > Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) should be 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50 (JPEG
    > Baseline (Process 1): Default Transfer Syntax for Lossy JPEG 8 Bit
    > Image Compression)
    > and
    > Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003) should contains the value
    > you defined in SOP Instance UID (0008,0018)
    >
    > HTH
    > -Mathieu

  4. Re: Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD

    Hello Mathieu,

    Its urgent. I am waiting for the reply.Please respond me back

    Thanks Again

    navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello Mathieu,
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my doubts.But how will i come to know that these
    > are mandatory for SC Image IOD or not (Since after reading Part 3 all
    > that i understood was that only the Type 1 attributes of the choosen
    > IOD i:e in my case SC IOD, are mandatory.And the attribute Transfer
    > Syntax UID is not mandatory attribute for SC IOD) ?
    > If they are mandatory then what are the other attributes that are
    > also the same in case of SC Image IOD and which Part of DICOM
    > specifies this?
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    > Regards
    > Navdeep
    >
    > Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > > On Jan 28, 1:52 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > > > Hello everyone,
    > > >
    > > > I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen
    > > > is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes:
    > > >
    > > > 1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002)
    > > > 2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003)
    > > > 3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010)
    > > >
    > > > These attributes are neither Mandatory nor Optional for this IOD.But
    > > > when i studied Part 5 its clearly mentioned that every DICOM compliant
    > > > application should have some value of Transfer Syntax UID?
    > > > Please Help me out.

    > > You definitely need those:
    > >
    > > Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002) should be
    > > 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7 (Secondary Capture)
    > > Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) should be 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50 (JPEG
    > > Baseline (Process 1): Default Transfer Syntax for Lossy JPEG 8 Bit
    > > Image Compression)
    > > and
    > > Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003) should contains the value
    > > you defined in SOP Instance UID (0008,0018)
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > -Mathieu

  5. Re: Confused about Need of Transfer Syntax UID in SC Image IOD

    These attributes are needed in the File Meta Information.

    See Part 10 section 7.1.

    I.e., they are required when a dataset is stored in a file on
    media, but not transmitted on the network (since they are
    redundant with what is in the C-STORE command).

    If you are just storing images in files, as it sounds like you
    are, and some other tool is handling any network communication
    (if any), then almost certainly you need to be writing these
    and other attributes of the meta information.

    David

    navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >

    > I am working on Jpeg To DICOM Conversion. The IOD that i have choosen
    > is SC Image IOD.Lets consider the following attributes:
    >
    > 1.Media Storage SOP Class UID (0002,0002)
    > 2.Media Storage SOP Instance UID (0002,0003)
    > 3.Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010)
    >
    > These attributes are neither Mandatory nor Optional for this IOD.But
    > when i studied Part 5 its clearly mentioned that every DICOM compliant
    > application should have some value of Transfer Syntax UID?
    > Please Help me out.
    > Waiting For the Reply
    > Regards
    > Navdeep