Generating UIDs - DICOM

This is a discussion on Generating UIDs - DICOM ; Hello Everyone, I want to generate the Series/SOP/Study Instance UID for my application.I just need to carify the encoding rules for that. 1. For a specific Patient, the Series Instance UID is same if the image belongs to a particular ...

  1. Generating UIDs

    Hello Everyone,

    I want to generate the Series/SOP/Study Instance UID for my
    application.I just need to carify the encoding rules for that.

    1. For a specific Patient, the Series Instance UID is same if the
    image belongs to a particular modality( say MRI)?( i:e Two MRI images
    of a particular Patient have same Series Instance UID).

    2. SOP Instance UID is always Unique for every Image? (i:e Except the
    case when two images are exactly same that means same Series/Study
    Instance UID )

    3. Study Instance UID I am not able to interpret about its values for
    two different Patients.

    Please Help me out.
    Thanks In Advance
    Best Regards
    Navdeep

  2. Re: Generating UIDs

    On Jan 24, 7:42 am, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I want to generate the Series/SOP/Study Instance UID for my
    > application.I just need to carify the encoding rules for that.
    >
    > 1. For a specific Patient, the Series Instance UID is same if the
    > image belongs to a particular modality( say MRI)?( i:e Two MRI images
    > of a particular Patient have same Series Instance UID).

    Yes if they belong to the same series, no if they don't. In the same
    series you cannot mix images in which the Modality is not the same.

    > 2. SOP Instance UID is always Unique for every Image? (i:e Except the
    > case when two images are exactly same that means same Series/Study
    > Instance UID )

    Two images that are exactly the same obviously belong to the same
    series and to the same study, but the fact that they belong to the
    same series and study does not implies that two images are in fact the
    same image !

    > 3. Study Instance UID I am not able to interpret about its values for
    > two different Patients.

    Of course you cannot find the same Study Instance UID for different
    patients. Which is the problem ?

    Regards.

    Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    mailto:luigi.pampana@removethis.esaote.com

  3. Re: Generating UIDs

    Hello luigipb,

    Thanks for clarifying my doubts . How the value of Study Instance UID
    is determined ?

    Waiting for the Reply

    Thanks In Advance
    Regards
    Navdeep

    luigipb wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 7:42 am, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > > Hello Everyone,
    > >
    > > I want to generate the Series/SOP/Study Instance UID for my
    > > application.I just need to carify the encoding rules for that.
    > >
    > > 1. For a specific Patient, the Series Instance UID is same if the
    > > image belongs to a particular modality( say MRI)?( i:e Two MRI images
    > > of a particular Patient have same Series Instance UID).

    > Yes if they belong to the same series, no if they don't. In the same
    > series you cannot mix images in which the Modality is not the same.
    >
    > > 2. SOP Instance UID is always Unique for every Image? (i:e Except the
    > > case when two images are exactly same that means same Series/Study
    > > Instance UID )

    > Two images that are exactly the same obviously belong to the same
    > series and to the same study, but the fact that they belong to the
    > same series and study does not implies that two images are in fact the
    > same image !
    >
    > > 3. Study Instance UID I am not able to interpret about its values for
    > > two different Patients.

    > Of course you cannot find the same Study Instance UID for different
    > patients. Which is the problem ?
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    > mailto:luigi.pampana@removethis.esaote.com

  4. Re: Generating UIDs

    On Jan 24, 12:49 pm, navdeep kooner wrote:
    > Hello luigipb,
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my doubts . How the value of Study Instance UID
    > is determined ?

    As far as you are a modality, either you receive it from the modality
    worklist (in this case it is the RIS that will create one for the
    study you have to perform), or you create one. More explanations about
    using and creating the UIDs are present in many threads of this
    newsgroup.

    Regards.

    Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    mailto:luigi.pampana@removethis.esaote.com