Decompile Ultrix FORTRAN library? - DEC

This is a discussion on Decompile Ultrix FORTRAN library? - DEC ; I have a client with an old DECsystem 5500 running Ultrix 4.2A. It contains a FORTRAN library for which we cannot locate the source code. The library contains some complex algorithms. Is there any way to decompile the library to ...

  1. Decompile Ultrix FORTRAN library?

    I have a client with an old DECsystem 5500 running Ultrix 4.2A. It
    contains a FORTRAN library for which we cannot locate the source code.
    The library contains some complex algorithms. Is there any way to
    decompile the library to determine what its functions actually do?

    This question is cross-posted in comp.unix.ultrix.

  2. Re: Decompile Ultrix FORTRAN library?

    In article <1190775701.488384.172020@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.c om>, bclaremont writes:
    > I have a client with an old DECsystem 5500 running Ultrix 4.2A. It
    > contains a FORTRAN library for which we cannot locate the source code.
    > The library contains some complex algorithms. Is there any way to
    > decompile the library to determine what its functions actually do?
    >
    > This question is cross-posted in comp.unix.ultrix.

    OK, a DECsystem 5500 has a MIPS chip (3000 I think) for its main CPU.
    (I think there's a VAX chip between that and the I/O busses, but
    that's not going to help you). Disassembling RISC instructions,
    especially if DEC's compiler optimization was turned on, is going
    to result in some difficult to follow code.

    Do you know where the library came from? There are several sources
    of complex math algorithms, both free and commercial, that might
    match what you have.

    ar should be able to list all the entry points in the library. Even
    if you're sure the libary is home grown you might try looking for
    similar routines instead of disassembling what you've got.

    I don't know of a MIPS disassember, but if you search the web I'd
    not be suprised to find one.

+ Reply to Thread