VLC System Disk Size Limit - DEC

This is a discussion on VLC System Disk Size Limit - DEC ; I have several VLCs that I am getting back into working order. I seem to recall that there is 1GB limit on system disk size for the firmware to successfully boot it (or am I thinking of the VAXstation 3100?). ...

  1. VLC System Disk Size Limit

    I have several VLCs that I am getting back into working order. I seem to
    recall that there is 1GB limit on system disk size for the firmware to
    successfully boot it (or am I thinking of the VAXstation 3100?). I noticed
    that I have some VLCs with version 1.2 of the firmware, and I have just
    discovered that one of them has version 1.3, can anyone tell me if the
    latter will boot off bigger system disks? If so, up to what size?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: VLC System Disk Size Limit

    On Sep 25, 5:07 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I have several VLCs that I am getting back into working order. I seem to
    > recall that there is 1GB limit on system disk size for the firmware to
    > successfully boot it (or am I thinking of the VAXstation 3100?). I noticed
    > that I have some VLCs with version 1.2 of the firmware, and I have just
    > discovered that one of them has version 1.3, can anyone tell me if the
    > latter will boot off bigger system disks? If so, up to what size?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    I don't recall that the VS4000 series had the same system disk
    limitation as the early MicroVAX 3100 10/10e/20/20e VS3100-30/38/40/48
    series. Those systems had the 1.0xGB boot drive limitation. I
    suppose there may be an upper limit on the boot disk for a VS4000 but
    if so its definitely larger than the 1GB safe limit of the older
    systems.

    A VLC is limited to 5400rpm internal disks though, for power and heat
    reasons.

  3. Re: VLC System Disk Size Limit

    In article <1190760761.060718.220300@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, Rich Jordan writes:

    >On Sep 25, 5:07 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >> I have several VLCs that I am getting back into working order. I seem to
    >> recall that there is 1GB limit on system disk size for the firmware to
    >> successfully boot it (or am I thinking of the VAXstation 3100?). I noticed
    >> that I have some VLCs with version 1.2 of the firmware, and I have just
    >> discovered that one of them has version 1.3, can anyone tell me if the
    >> latter will boot off bigger system disks? If so, up to what size?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    >I don't recall that the VS4000 series had the same system disk
    >limitation as the early MicroVAX 3100 10/10e/20/20e VS3100-30/38/40/48
    >series. Those systems had the 1.0xGB boot drive limitation. I
    >suppose there may be an upper limit on the boot disk for a VS4000 but
    >if so its definitely larger than the 1GB safe limit of the older
    >systems.
    >
    >A VLC is limited to 5400rpm internal disks though, for power and heat
    >reasons.

    I have an external 4.3GB (RZ29) on a VLC and it boots up just fine from
    that drive.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: VLC System Disk Size Limit

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have several VLCs that I am getting back into working order. I seem to
    > recall that there is 1GB limit on system disk size for the firmware to
    > successfully boot it (or am I thinking of the VAXstation 3100?). I noticed
    > that I have some VLCs with version 1.2 of the firmware, and I have just
    > discovered that one of them has version 1.3, can anyone tell me if the
    > latter will boot off bigger system disks? If so, up to what size?

    No problems here. I have a 9GB disk in mine.

    Regards, Tim.

+ Reply to Thread