VR299 death throes - DEC

This is a discussion on VR299 death throes - DEC ; The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this morning it ran ...

  1. VR299 death throes

    The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.

    Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    minutes and trying again made no difference.

    Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    possibility.

    If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    GPX, which the VR299 supported).

    Thanks for any input.

    Rich

  2. Re: VR299 death throes

    "Rich Jordan" wrote in message
    news:1190391888.954948.112410@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    > The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    > also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    > last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    > morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.
    >
    > Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    > from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    > minutes and trying again made no difference.
    >
    > Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    > replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    > happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    > thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    > possibility.
    >
    > If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    > displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    > can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    > GPX, which the VR299 supported).
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > Rich

    I have successfully used a ViewSonic VA912 flat panel connected directly to
    the VGA port of a VAXstation 4000 VLC. The result was not perfect, there was
    some strange vertical banding, but for hobbyist use it was acceptable.

    Where are you located geographically? There was someone a few weeks ago in
    the Manchester (UK) area who was disposing of some equipment, including
    monitors. I suggested he hang on to them if he could. I don't know if he
    kept them, but he posted to this group with a subject line of "Free to a
    good home: Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphastations" so you could always see
    if he still has something that would suit.

  3. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Sep 21, 12:16 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > "Rich Jordan" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1190391888.954948.112410@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    > > also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    > > last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    > > morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.

    > > Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    > > from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    > > minutes and trying again made no difference.

    > > Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    > > replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    > > happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    > > thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    > > possibility.

    > > If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    > > displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    > > can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    > > GPX, which the VR299 supported).

    > > Thanks for any input.

    > > Rich

    > I have successfully used a ViewSonic VA912 flat panel connected directly to
    > the VGA port of a VAXstation 4000 VLC. The result was not perfect, there was
    > some strange vertical banding, but for hobbyist use it was acceptable.
    >
    > Where are you located geographically? There was someone a few weeks ago in
    > the Manchester (UK) area who was disposing of some equipment, including
    > monitors. I suggested he hang on to them if he could. I don't know if he
    > kept them, but he posted to this group with a subject line of "Free to a
    > good home: Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphastations" so you could always see
    > if he still has something that would suit.

    The armpit state of Ill Annoy, in the US. Believe me, these monitors
    are not worth shipping costs across a city, much less an ocean.

    I've read about various NEC, Iiyama, and Viewsonic monitors that will
    work; I'm looking around now for one with BNC connectors to avoid a
    frankenstein cable.

    This is actually a work machine, and one I used many hours a day
    (basically as a multi-terminal terminal with DECterms); video quality
    is important. However it has been on sufferance here at work; I get
    to use it till it breaks but its been off support since 2000 or so
    (and its on its third monitor; this was my last spare).

    I found one newsgroup post that a loose internal high voltage cable
    can cause the symptoms I'm seeing; I doubt thats it due to the
    coincedental power hits, but its worth a try once the bosses leave and
    I can tear the monitor apart to check it.

    If worst comes and I can't get a cheap replacement that will work, I
    can either bring my 21" DEC monitor from home, and plug a 17" on the
    Alpha since it can run that monitor. Or I could just retire the old
    VAXstation and drop an AS200 in its place, again with a cheaper VGA
    compatible monitor; I'd rather keep the VAX running as my little in-
    your-face to all the peecee wonks though.

    Rich

  4. Re: VR299 death throes

    Rich Jordan schrieb:

    > I've read about various NEC, Iiyama, and Viewsonic monitors that will
    > work; I'm looking around now for one with BNC connectors to avoid a
    > frankenstein cable.

    you might include Eizo in the list,
    but a "modern" flat panel with BNC connectors sounds
    pretty weird to me.
    Be prepared for Frankenstein's monster cable 3W3 -> BNC -> VGA.

  5. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Sep 21, 3:20 pm, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Rich Jordan schrieb:
    >

    > > I've read about various NEC, Iiyama, and Viewsonic monitors that will
    > > work; I'm looking around now for one with BNC connectors to avoid a
    > > frankenstein cable.

    > you might include Eizo in the list,
    > but a "modern" flat panel with BNC connectors sounds
    > pretty weird to me.
    > Be prepared for Frankenstein's monster cable 3W3 -> BNC -> VGA.

    A lot of the NEC, and reportedly Iiyama monitors had 5 BNC connectors
    on the back, but would work on sync-over-green that the workstation
    puts out. The BNCs were phased out in the 2001-2003 timeframe in
    favor of DVI sockets (at which point sync-on-green also disappeared).
    NEC1810 and others in that timeframe should just plug into the
    existing cable; later ones would need the frankencable as you describe
    (except the VAXstation video port is a DB15, not a 3W3) so it would be
    DB15-BNC then BNC couplers then BNC to VGA/HD15 if I can't get a
    monitor with BNC jacks.

    The VR299 did not return to life after sitting all day. Boss isn't
    leaving so I can't take it apart right now. Sigh...

    Rich

  6. Re: VR299 death throes

    Rich Jordan schrieb:
    > A lot of the NEC, and reportedly Iiyama monitors had 5 BNC connectors
    > on the back, but would work on sync-over-green that the workstation
    > puts out. The BNCs were phased out in the 2001-2003 timeframe in
    > favor of DVI sockets (at which point sync-on-green also disappeared).
    > NEC1810 and others in that timeframe should just plug into the
    > existing cable; later ones would need the frankencable as you describe
    > (except the VAXstation video port is a DB15, not a 3W3)

    my fault, the moment I had pressed the "send" button
    I realized that the 3100's are different from the 4000's, too late.

    > The VR299 did not return to life after sitting all day. Boss isn't
    > leaving so I can't take it apart right now. Sigh...

    better replace your boss as well :-)

  7. Re: VR299 death throes

    Michael Kraemer wrote:

    >> I've read about various NEC, Iiyama, and Viewsonic monitors that will
    >> work; I'm looking around now for one with BNC connectors to avoid a
    >> frankenstein cable.

    > you might include Eizo in the list,
    > but a "modern" flat panel with BNC connectors sounds
    > pretty weird to me.
    > Be prepared for Frankenstein's monster cable 3W3 -> BNC -> VGA.

    I once built "Frankenstein's monster cable" for an older Sun
    monitor. It was like 13W3 - VGA - BNC - 3W3. I only used pre-built
    adapters and didn't solder a new one.
    Anyway, many old monitors from workstations will work on VAX or
    DEC equipment in general, most notably SGI or Sun monitors from
    the 17Esomething or 20Esomething range. Those are generic Sony
    tubes for most things and they don't even look so bad when you
    feed them at only 60 or 66Hz. Depending on where the OP works,
    monitors like those might be "still around" waiting for disposal.

    gruss,
    Dennis

    --
    Don't suffer from insanity...
    Enjoy every minute of it.

  8. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Sep 22, 3:38 am, Dennis Grevenstein
    wrote:
    > Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >
    > >> I've read about various NEC, Iiyama, and Viewsonic monitors that will
    > >> work; I'm looking around now for one with BNC connectors to avoid a
    > >> frankenstein cable.

    > > you might include Eizo in the list,
    > > but a "modern" flat panel with BNC connectors sounds
    > > pretty weird to me.
    > > Be prepared for Frankenstein's monster cable 3W3 -> BNC -> VGA.

    > I once built "Frankenstein's monster cable" for an older Sun
    > monitor. It was like 13W3 - VGA - BNC - 3W3. I only used pre-built
    > adapters and didn't solder a new one.
    > Anyway, many old monitors from workstations will work on VAX or
    > DEC equipment in general, most notably SGI or Sun monitors from
    > the 17Esomething or 20Esomething range. Those are generic Sony
    > tubes for most things and they don't even look so bad when you
    > feed them at only 60 or 66Hz. Depending on where the OP works,
    > monitors like those might be "still around" waiting for disposal.
    >
    > gruss,
    > Dennis
    >
    > --
    > Don't suffer from insanity...
    > Enjoy every minute of it.

    If not waiting around in driving distance probably too expensive to be
    worth shipping.

    I got the VR299 opened up late Friday. No loose wires or connectors,
    no popped electrolytic capacitors, no aromas of magic smoke release,
    but also still no go on starting; the light comes on but there's no
    'click' or any sound from the high voltage side. Done deal unless
    someone out there has som sugestions for fixing this failure mode
    cheap and easy.

    Prowling for an LCD now.

    Rich

  9. Re: VR299 death throes

    Rich Jordan schrieb:

    > If not waiting around in driving distance probably too expensive to be
    > worth shipping.

    I don't know if it would apply to the place where you live,
    but over here I found a shop in driving distance (< 10km or so)
    which sells used IT equipment coming back from lease.
    Mostly PC stuff, but tested and 1 month warranty,
    at the bottom line not more expensive than eBay
    (if you factor in shipping costs and warranty).
    They still have piles of CRT monitors (I once picked up an SGI),
    and sometimes rare SCSI equipment.

    So maybe you could look around if such a refurb shop exists
    where you live.

  10. Re: VR299 death throes

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Rich Jordan schrieb:
    >
    > > If not waiting around in driving distance probably too expensive to be
    > > worth shipping.
    > >

    > I don't know if it would apply to the place where you live,
    > but over here I found a shop in driving distance (< 10km or so)
    > which sells used IT equipment coming back from lease.
    > Mostly PC stuff, but tested and 1 month warranty,
    > at the bottom line not more expensive than eBay
    > (if you factor in shipping costs and warranty).
    > They still have piles of CRT monitors (I once picked up an SGI),
    > and sometimes rare SCSI equipment.
    >
    > So maybe you could look around if such a refurb shop exists
    > where you live.

    Good thought; I'll see what I can find.

    Rich

  11. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    > also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    > last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    > morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.
    >
    > Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    > from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    > minutes and trying again made no difference.
    >
    > Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    > replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    > happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    > thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    > possibility.
    >
    > If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    > displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    > can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    > GPX, which the VR299 supported).
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > Rich

    I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.

    Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.

    However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.

    Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    we'll see.

    At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

  12. Re: VR299 death throes

    Rich,

    I think I have an RRD47, but I do have several RRD46 drives. If you are
    interested, one is yours for cheap... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:44:13 -0000, Rich Jordan wrote:

    >On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    >> The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    >> also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    >> last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    >> morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.
    >>
    >> Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    >> from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    >> minutes and trying again made no difference.
    >>
    >> Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    >> replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    >> happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    >> thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    >> possibility.
    >>
    >> If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    >> displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    >> can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    >> GPX, which the VR299 supported).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> Rich

    >I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    >There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    >right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    >relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.
    >
    >Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    >of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.
    >
    >However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    >time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    >workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    >the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.
    >
    >Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    >separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    >supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    >even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    >high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    >make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    >we'll see.
    >
    >At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    >backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    >the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

  13. Re: VR299 death throes

    In article <1191534253.722645.67150@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, Rich Jordan writes:
    > On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    >> The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    >> also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    >> last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    >> morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.
    >>
    >> Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    >> from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    >> minutes and trying again made no difference.
    >>
    >> Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    >> replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    >> happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    >> thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    >> possibility.
    >>
    >> If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    >> displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    >> can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    >> GPX, which the VR299 supported).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    > There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    > right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    > relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.
    >
    > Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    > of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.
    >
    > However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    > time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    > workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    > the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.
    >
    > Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    > separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    > supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    > even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    > high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    > make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    > we'll see.
    >
    > At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    > backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    > the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

    An easy way to replace the RRD47 is to get a generic SCSI Toshiba
    XM-6201B and swap the RRD47's socketed ROM into it (assuming the
    RRD47's ROM survived the power hit). A generic XM-6201B is usually
    cheaper and easier to find than an actual RRD47. A generic XM-6201B
    will appear to VMS as an RRD47 once the ROM is swapped.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  14. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Oct 4, 5:00 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Rich,
    >
    > I think I have an RRD47, but I do have several RRD46 drives. If you are
    > interested, one is yours for cheap... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:44:13 -0000, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > >On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > >> The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    > >> also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    > >> last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    > >> morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.

    > >> Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    > >> from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    > >> minutes and trying again made no difference.

    > >> Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    > >> replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    > >> happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    > >> thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    > >> possibility.

    > >> If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    > >> displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    > >> can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    > >> GPX, which the VR299 supported).

    > >> Thanks for any input.

    > >> Rich

    > >I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    > >There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    > >right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    > >relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.

    > >Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    > >of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.

    > >However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    > >time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    > >workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    > >the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.

    > >Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    > >separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    > >supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    > >even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    > >high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    > >make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    > >we'll see.

    > >At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    > >backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    > >the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

    Ben,
    thanks, I'll get back to you. I actually bought a couple of top
    gun blue RRD46 units from you a few years ago; I think I still have
    one NIB, but given this situation perhaps laying in a spare or two
    would be a good thing.

    Rich

  15. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Oct 4, 5:17 pm, c...@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) wrote:
    > In article <1191534253.722645.67...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, Rich Jordan writes:
    >

    > > On Sep 21, 11:24 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > >> The VR299 on my VS3100-30 has died. The last power failure (which
    > >> also took out a noname scsi enclosure power supply) was apparently the
    > >> last straw; it ran for about 10 hours, but jittered a bit; this
    > >> morning it ran for about 30 minutes then clicked and went black.

    > >> Power light comes on with the switch. There's no click, and no sound
    > >> from the high voltage circuitry coming up. Leaving it off for 60
    > >> minutes and trying again made no difference.

    > >> Although I'm already scrounging for a replacement (work will not
    > >> replace it; they'll just tell me to use a peecee with powerterm; not a
    > >> happy thought) but would be interested if anyone can provide some
    > >> thoughts about the failure mode, and if a cheap homebrew fix is even a
    > >> possibility.

    > >> If not I'm looking for one of the previous generation flat panel
    > >> displays with BNC connectors and sync on green; I have an SPX board I
    > >> can install to get the 1280x1024 native resolution (currently it has a
    > >> GPX, which the VR299 supported).

    > >> Thanks for any input.

    > >> Rich

    > > I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    > > There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    > > right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    > > relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.

    > > Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    > > of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.

    > > However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    > > time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    > > workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    > > the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.

    > > Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    > > separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    > > supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    > > even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    > > high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    > > make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    > > we'll see.

    > > At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    > > backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    > > the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

    > An easy way to replace the RRD47 is to get a generic SCSI Toshiba
    > XM-6201B and swap the RRD47's socketed ROM into it (assuming the
    > RRD47's ROM survived the power hit). A generic XM-6201B is usually
    > cheaper and easier to find than an actual RRD47. A generic XM-6201B
    > will appear to VMS as an RRD47 once the ROM is swapped.
    >
    > George Cook
    > WVNET

    George,
    thanks very much for that info. I usually disassemble dead
    drives and save components that would be fun to play with (motors,
    gearsets); I'll be sure to save the ROM from the RRD47. I may even
    have an XM-6201B on the shelf at home.

    The failure mode: front light comes on solid. No response to
    eject button. A 'generic' unit shows up on the SCSI bus at the
    selected ID but it won't respond to any commands. Manual tray eject
    is very logy, like there's resistance from the tray motor. Tray will
    not return with the button, but will lock back in if pressed manually
    and given enough momentum.

    I tried it in several enclosures, including new ones that were
    definitely involved in the power hit, but no change in behaviour, so
    its definitely the drive, not the

  16. Re: VR299 death throes

    On Oct 5, 9:44 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 5:17 pm, c...@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) wrote:

    > > > I picked up a decent NEC LCD2010, which is working pretty well.
    > > > There's some shadowing of lines and characters a few pixels to the
    > > > right of the actual images but its so faint, and the picture so
    > > > relatively sharp compared to the old VR299 that its acceptable.

    > > > Perhaps the problem is the requirement to run at 66Hz refresh instead
    > > > of 60, which NEC says is optimal for the 1280x1024 native resolution.

    > > > However upon bringing the system back up completely for the first
    > > > time, I found that every _other_ piece of equipment attached to the
    > > > workstation was also dead. The only part apparently unaffected was
    > > > the VS3100-30 and its internal drives and components.

    > > > Non-DEC external drive enclosure with an RRD47 and an RZ26N, and a
    > > > separate third party enclosure with a Yamaha 4416 CDR all lost power
    > > > supply fuses; all three drives are nonresponsive or cannot start up
    > > > even in new enclosures. All of this equipment was "protected" by a
    > > > high-end (for Belkin) surge protector strip. Maybe we'll be able to
    > > > make some kind of claim against the warranty on the strip... guess
    > > > we'll see.

    > > > At least the important stuff in the workstation survived, as did the
    > > > backups. I'm annoyed about the RRD47 though; we only ever had one of
    > > > the fast drives; I'll have to fall back to an RRD45 now.

    > > An easy way to replace the RRD47 is to get a generic SCSI Toshiba
    > > XM-6201B and swap the RRD47's socketed ROM into it (assuming the
    > > RRD47's ROM survived the power hit). A generic XM-6201B is usually
    > > cheaper and easier to find than an actual RRD47. A generic XM-6201B
    > > will appear to VMS as an RRD47 once the ROM is swapped.

    > > George Cook
    > > WVNET

    > George,
    > thanks very much for that info. I usually disassemble dead
    > drives and save components that would be fun to play with (motors,
    > gearsets); I'll be sure to save the ROM from the RRD47. I may even
    > have an XM-6201B on the shelf at home.
    >
    > The failure mode: front light comes on solid. No response to
    > eject button. A 'generic' unit shows up on the SCSI bus at the
    > selected ID but it won't respond to any commands. Manual tray eject
    > is very logy, like there's resistance from the tray motor. Tray will
    > not return with the button, but will lock back in if pressed manually
    > and given enough momentum.
    >
    > I tried it in several enclosures, including new ones that were
    > definitely involved in the power hit, but no change in behaviour, so
    > its definitely the drive, not the

    George,
    the RRD47 is definitely an XM-6201B, indicated on the logic
    board, but there is no socketed chip of any kind on either side of the
    board. I also don't see anything with a DEC copyright or other
    indicator on the board so I'm not sure which chip is the ROM.

    If you know which might be it please let me know; if not, well it
    was still worth checking! Maybe Toshiba updated the board during
    production or something.

    Rich

  17. Re: VR299 death throes

    In article <1191598036.085871.220630@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, Rich Jordan writes:
    > On Oct 5, 9:44 am, Rich Jordan wrote:

    >> > An easy way to replace the RRD47 is to get a generic SCSI Toshiba
    >> > XM-6201B and swap the RRD47's socketed ROM into it (assuming the
    >> > RRD47's ROM survived the power hit). A generic XM-6201B is usually
    >> > cheaper and easier to find than an actual RRD47. A generic XM-6201B
    >> > will appear to VMS as an RRD47 once the ROM is swapped.

    >> > George Cook
    >> > WVNET

    >> George,
    >> thanks very much for that info. I usually disassemble dead
    >> drives and save components that would be fun to play with (motors,
    >> gearsets); I'll be sure to save the ROM from the RRD47. I may even
    >> have an XM-6201B on the shelf at home.
    >>
    >> The failure mode: front light comes on solid. No response to
    >> eject button. A 'generic' unit shows up on the SCSI bus at the
    >> selected ID but it won't respond to any commands. Manual tray eject
    >> is very logy, like there's resistance from the tray motor. Tray will
    >> not return with the button, but will lock back in if pressed manually
    >> and given enough momentum.
    >>
    >> I tried it in several enclosures, including new ones that were
    >> definitely involved in the power hit, but no change in behaviour, so
    >> its definitely the drive, not the

    > George,
    > the RRD47 is definitely an XM-6201B, indicated on the logic
    > board, but there is no socketed chip of any kind on either side of the
    > board. I also don't see anything with a DEC copyright or other
    > indicator on the board so I'm not sure which chip is the ROM.
    >
    > If you know which might be it please let me know; if not, well it
    > was still worth checking! Maybe Toshiba updated the board during
    > production or something.

    Maybe more brain cells have died off than I thought. I have done the
    swap multiple times on RRD46 drives (I still have one of the ROMs)
    and thought I recalled doing it on at least one RRD47. I just opened
    a generic XM-6201B and couldn't find a socketed ROM, so I must have
    remembered wrong or else I got lucky in the past due to older revs of
    the XM-6201B board.

    George Cook
    WVNET

+ Reply to Thread