How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha - DEC

This is a discussion on How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha - DEC ; I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on its DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting plug on the board to the twisted pair position and ...

  1. How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on its
    DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change the
    setting in the ECU.

    To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to use
    the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU. I
    suspect the F10 refers to the "native" keyboard. I can't use the native
    keyboard because I can't get a display on the monitor I am using (it just
    displays a solid colour, the monitor is a VRT17 and works on my VAXstation
    4000 VLCs, so I don't think the monitor is faulty).

    I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:

    1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.

    Can anyone help on either of these routes?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    On Sep 15, 1:13 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on its
    > DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    > plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change the
    > setting in the ECU.
    >
    > To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to use
    > the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    > VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU. I
    > suspect the F10 refers to the "native" keyboard. I can't use the native
    > keyboard because I can't get a display on the monitor I am using (it just
    > displays a solid colour, the monitor is a VRT17 and works on my VAXstation
    > 4000 VLCs, so I don't think the monitor is faulty).
    >
    > I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:
    >
    > 1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    > 2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.
    >
    > Can anyone help on either of these routes?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    Shot in the dark. The brain-dead ORCA ROM based RAID configurator for
    various Compaq/HP controllers requires hitting F8 and F3 to do things;
    the P400 RAID on an itanic does also. On the SmartArrays you can hit
    ESC-8 and ESC-3 to emulate that from a serial console. Perhaps
    there's an 'escape' sequence that will work for your F10?

  3. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    "Rich Jordan" wrote in message
    news:1190050106.613068.128280@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Sep 15, 1:13 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >> I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on
    >> its
    >> DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    >> plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change
    >> the
    >> setting in the ECU.
    >>
    >> To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to use
    >> the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    >> VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU.
    >> suspect the F10 refers to the "native" keyboard. I can't use the native
    >> keyboard because I can't get a display on the monitor I am using (it just
    >> displays a solid colour, the monitor is a VRT17 and works on my
    >> VAXstation
    >> 4000 VLCs, so I don't think the monitor is faulty).
    >>
    >> I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:
    >>
    >> 1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    >> 2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help on either of these routes?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Shot in the dark. The brain-dead ORCA ROM based RAID configurator for
    > various Compaq/HP controllers requires hitting F8 and F3 to do things;
    > the P400 RAID on an itanic does also. On the SmartArrays you can hit
    > ESC-8 and ESC-3 to emulate that from a serial console. Perhaps
    > there's an 'escape' sequence that will work for your F10?

    Hmm... there is no "10" key, I'll try ESC-0 to see what happens.

  4. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    "Robert Jarratt" wrote in message

    > "Rich Jordan" wrote in message
    > news:1190050106.613068.128280@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    >> On Sep 15, 1:13 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >>> I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on
    >>> its
    >>> DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    >>> plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change
    >>> the
    >>> setting in the ECU.
    >>>
    >>> To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to
    >>> use
    >>> the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    >>> VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU.
    >>> suspect the F10 refers to the "native" keyboard. I can't use the native
    >>> keyboard because I can't get a display on the monitor I am using (it
    >>> just
    >>> displays a solid colour, the monitor is a VRT17 and works on my
    >>> VAXstation
    >>> 4000 VLCs, so I don't think the monitor is faulty).
    >>>
    >>> I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    >>> 2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help on either of these routes?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> Shot in the dark. The brain-dead ORCA ROM based RAID configurator for
    >> various Compaq/HP controllers requires hitting F8 and F3 to do things;
    >> the P400 RAID on an itanic does also. On the SmartArrays you can hit
    >> ESC-8 and ESC-3 to emulate that from a serial console. Perhaps
    >> there's an 'escape' sequence that will work for your F10?
    >>

    > Hmm... there is no "10" key, I'll try ESC-0 to see what happens.

    Using ESC did not work for any of the F keys. Surely there
    had to be a way to do this?

  5. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    On Sep 17, 1:08 pm, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote in message

    > > "Rich Jordan" wrote in message
    > >news:1190050106.613068.128280@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...

    > >> Shot in the dark. The brain-dead ORCA ROM based RAID configurator for
    > >> various Compaq/HP controllers requires hitting F8 and F3 to do things;
    > >> the P400 RAID on an itanic does also. On the SmartArrays you can hit
    > >> ESC-8 and ESC-3 to emulate that from a serial console. Perhaps
    > >> there's an 'escape' sequence that will work for your F10?

    > > Hmm... there is no "10" key, I'll try ESC-0 to see what happens.

    > Using ESC did not work for any of the F keys. Surely there
    > had to be a way to do this?

    I don't have any VTs online right now. Did the VT420 have any setup
    options to be used as a "PC Terminal"? I think the VT510's did.
    Perhaps there's a setting in terminal setup that would allow you to
    change the keyboard type or keysends.

    I also don't have anything that would use ECU anymore, sorry.

    Hyperterm is not a "real" VT emulator; its actually pretty crappy at
    anything beyond base ANSI compatibility. Any other options?
    Powerterm? Got an old PAthworks client distribution around that has
    PowerTerm 525?

  6. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on its
    > DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    > plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change the
    > setting in the ECU.
    >
    > To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to use
    > the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    > VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU.

    [...]
    > I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:
    >
    > 1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    > 2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.
    >
    > Can anyone help on either of these routes?

    No idea whether it works with ECU, too, but the AlphaServer 4100 manual [1]
    has a table with mappings when using AlphaBIOS with a serial terminal;
    there, F10 is mapped to Ctrl/U.

    HTH,
    Martin

    [1] http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/A...cs/4100_ug.pdf
    Section 7.2 "Running Utilities from a Serial Terminal"
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  7. Re: How to press F10 on console for ECU on Alpha

    "Martin Vorlaender" wrote in message
    newsp.tyttr8wmdc3j58@notemv-tap.mv.privat...
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I have a DEC 2000 Model 3000 AXP which is defaulted to use thinwire on
    >> its
    >> DE422. I need to change it to twisted pair. I have switched the shunting
    >> plug on the board to the twisted pair position and now I need to change
    >> the
    >> setting in the ECU.
    >>
    >> To complete the ECU setup I need to press F10. However I am having to use
    >> the console, I have both a terminal emulator (HyperTerminal) and a real
    >> VT420 and pressing F10 in either of these is not registering in the ECU.

    > [...]
    >> I think I could resolve this in one of two ways:
    >>
    >> 1. Get the native keyboard and monitor to work.
    >> 2. Find out how to press F10 on the console.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help on either of these routes?

    > No idea whether it works with ECU, too, but the AlphaServer 4100 manual
    > [1]
    > has a table with mappings when using AlphaBIOS with a serial terminal;
    > there, F10 is mapped to Ctrl/U.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Martin
    >
    > [1]
    > http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/A...cs/4100_ug.pdf
    > Section 7.2 "Running Utilities from a Serial Terminal"
    > --
    > One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    > One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de
    > One OS to bring them all | http://vms.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
    > And in the Darkness bind them.| home: martin.vorlaender@t-online.de

    CTRL/U did not work for me, but I experimented and found that CTRL/E seemed
    to do the trick for me.

    Thanks

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread