Heath QBUS diskette controller card - DEC

This is a discussion on Heath QBUS diskette controller card - DEC ; I just got an old QBUS enclosure. In amongst the cards it had in it was one of the dual height diskette controller cards that Heathkit sold with the H-11 version of the LSI-11 system. Is this controller capable of ...

  1. Heath QBUS diskette controller card

    I just got an old QBUS enclosure. In amongst the cards it had in it was
    one of the dual height diskette controller cards that Heathkit sold with
    the H-11 version of the LSI-11 system.

    Is this controller capable of driving diskette systems other than the
    Heath one? Or does the Heath version of the dual RX-01 contain some
    additional stuff in it that is needed to talk to this card?
    --
    Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
    Control-G Consultants

  2. Re: Heath QBUS diskette controller card

    In article <06Cdnf0CH7BqlnbbnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Lee K. Gleason" writes:
    > I just got an old QBUS enclosure. In amongst the cards it had in it was
    > one of the dual height diskette controller cards that Heathkit sold with
    > the H-11 version of the LSI-11 system.
    >
    > Is this controller capable of driving diskette systems other than the
    > Heath one? Or does the Heath version of the dual RX-01 contain some
    > additional stuff in it that is needed to talk to this card?

    I had an H11 but got a real disk drive instead of the one from Heathkit. I
    wish I kept the thing as a collectors item. IIRC there was a patch to the
    HT-11 OS so that it would only work with the Heath controller, and not a
    generic RX01, to prevent the OS from being used on "real" DEC gear. Don't
    know if whatever was "special" about the drive / controller was sufficient
    to keep it working with real RT-11.

    And IIRC HT-11 was based on RT-11 V2C or whatever the predecessor of V3 was.
    SJ monitor only, no FB.

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  3. Re: Heath QBUS diskette controller card

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > ... IIRC there was a patch to the
    > HT-11 OS so that it would only work with the Heath controller, and not a
    > generic RX01, to prevent the OS from being used on "real" DEC gear.

    It is likely that the patch was needed simply because the drive/
    controller didn't act exactly like a DEC RX01/RXV11.

  4. Re: Heath QBUS diskette controller card

    In article <46EE9E18.3BDC200@null.net>, "Douglas A. Gwyn" writes:
    > Bob Kaplow wrote:
    >> ... IIRC there was a patch to the
    >> HT-11 OS so that it would only work with the Heath controller, and not a
    >> generic RX01, to prevent the OS from being used on "real" DEC gear.

    > It is likely that the patch was needed simply because the drive/
    > controller didn't act exactly like a DEC RX01/RXV11.

    No, the patch was so that the inexpensive HT-11 release wouldn't run on
    "real" DEC hardware. I never tried it, but I understand that real RT-11
    would run on the drive. It certainly ran on the H11 processor, because
    that's what I ran.

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

+ Reply to Thread