How to get a VT320 back to life ? - DEC

This is a discussion on How to get a VT320 back to life ? - DEC ; Hello, I have an old VT320 I used as terminal for my SUN's headless servers and my MicroVAX 3100. Unfortunately, this VT died some days ago. It seems it's a problem of power supply. The only activity I can see ...

  1. How to get a VT320 back to life ?

    Hello,

    I have an old VT320 I used as terminal for my SUN's headless servers and
    my MicroVAX 3100.

    Unfortunately, this VT died some days ago. It seems it's a problem of
    power supply. The only activity I can see is a green LED flashing on a
    vertical card on the right of the CRT (seeing from its back).

    Does someone know how I can make this VT back to life ?

    Thanks

    Laurent

  2. Re: How to get a VT320 back to life ?

    I would consider it dead, and look for a replacement.

    These days, it is almost better to get a cheap old personal computer and
    monitor, load up Windows, and run terminal emulation software... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:23:40 +0200, destroyedlolo wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have an old VT320 I used as terminal for my SUN's headless servers and
    >my MicroVAX 3100.
    >
    >Unfortunately, this VT died some days ago. It seems it's a problem of
    >power supply. The only activity I can see is a green LED flashing on a
    >vertical card on the right of the CRT (seeing from its back).
    >
    >Does someone know how I can make this VT back to life ?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Laurent

  3. Re: How to get a VT320 back to life ?

    destroyedlolo spake the secret code
    <46e5d097$0$21569$426a34cc@news.free.fr> thusly:

    >Does someone know how I can make this VT back to life ?

    Ummm... get the power supply fixed? Taking it to a local electronics
    repair shop ought to do the trick. Of course you'll have to find
    someone who actually analyzes faults and repairs them and not someone
    who just follows the diagnostic manual for XYZ consumer electronics
    pile of junk.

    Legalize Adulthood!

  4. Re: How to get a VT320 back to life ?

    On Sep 10, 7:23 pm, destroyedlolo wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an old VT320 I used as terminal for my SUN's headless servers and
    > my MicroVAX 3100.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this VT died some days ago. It seems it's a problem of
    > power supply. The only activity I can see is a green LED flashing on a
    > vertical card on the right of the CRT (seeing from its back).
    >
    > Does someone know how I can make this VT back to life ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laurent

    Laurent,

    If you check on eBay you'll find some VT320 parts available, as well
    as used terminals. Personally, I'd throw it away and go the VT
    emulator route as was already suggested. However, if you insist on
    using a terminal then buying a used one (eBay or elsewhere) is likely
    to be less expensive than paying the labor+parts to have that one
    repaired.

+ Reply to Thread