VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem? - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem? - DEC ; I have installed a 1GB IBM SCSI disk in my VAXstation 3100 M38 and I am using it as the system disk. I have installed VMS and everything seems to be fine, except for one thing. When I shut down ...

  1. VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    I have installed a 1GB IBM SCSI disk in my VAXstation 3100 M38 and I am
    using it as the system disk. I have installed VMS and everything seems to be
    fine, except for one thing. When I shut down the machine I get the following
    error:

    CANNOT WRITE SYSTEM DUMP; INITIALIZATION OF
    CONTROLLER FAILED.

    Furthermore the TEST 50 command reports a status of 000000D4 and I get the
    dreaded ?? for the SCSI controller. But the machine otherwise seems OK.
    Should I be concerned?

    NB This is a hobbyist system, not used for any business purpose.

    Regards

    Rob

  2. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > Furthermore the TEST 50 command reports a status of 000000D4 and I get the
    > dreaded ?? for the SCSI controller. But the machine otherwise seems OK.
    > Should I be concerned?

    Rob, have you checked the manual to find out what this error status
    is? It could be a simple termination problem maybe? Is the SCSI cable
    terminated?

    See if the manual is on vt100.net.

    Regards, Mark.

  3. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    "urbancamo" wrote in message
    news:1189111757.148470.309060@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...

    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >
    >> Furthermore the TEST 50 command reports a status of 000000D4 and I get
    >> the
    >> dreaded ?? for the SCSI controller. But the machine otherwise seems OK.
    >> Should I be concerned?

    > Rob, have you checked the manual to find out what this error status
    > is? It could be a simple termination problem maybe? Is the SCSI cable
    > terminated?
    >
    > See if the manual is on vt100.net.
    >
    > Regards, Mark.

    I should have said that I have looked in the manual and this error code is
    not listed.

  4. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    > I have installed a 1GB IBM SCSI disk in my VAXstation 3100 M38 and I am
    > using it as the system disk.

    I thought the boot ROM on that model was limited to smaller disks.
    If so any patch, upgrade, or disk restore (other than /physical)
    could render the system unbootable.

    > I have installed VMS and everything seems to be
    > fine, except for one thing. When I shut down the machine I get the following
    > error:
    >
    > CANNOT WRITE SYSTEM DUMP; INITIALIZATION OF
    > CONTROLLER FAILED.

    Well VMS, which seem to have been running from that disk, is
    responsible for writing the system dump. Does the dump file
    exist and is it a proper dump file (contiguous, nomove, ...) as
    SYSGEN creates them?

    Is it possible that dump-off-system-disk is partially configured?

  5. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >
    >> I have installed a 1GB IBM SCSI disk in my VAXstation 3100 M38 and I am
    >> using it as the system disk.

    > I thought the boot ROM on that model was limited to smaller disks.
    > If so any patch, upgrade, or disk restore (other than /physical)
    > could render the system unbootable.
    >
    >> I have installed VMS and everything seems to be
    >> fine, except for one thing. When I shut down the machine I get the
    >> following
    >> error:
    >>
    >> CANNOT WRITE SYSTEM DUMP; INITIALIZATION OF
    >> CONTROLLER FAILED.
    >>

    > Well VMS, which seem to have been running from that disk, is
    > responsible for writing the system dump. Does the dump file
    > exist and is it a proper dump file (contiguous, nomove, ...) as
    > SYSGEN creates them?
    >
    > Is it possible that dump-off-system-disk is partially configured?

    All I did was install VMS in the same way that I have installed it on my
    other VAXen, I did not do anything different. I will look at the things you
    suggest, but I am not familiar with them, so if you have any good pointers
    to get me started I would appreciate it.

    One other thing that might be of note is that when I do a shutdown the
    machine automatically restarts after the controller error. I am not sure if
    this is a firmware setting or the consequence of the error.

    Regards

    Rob

  6. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    > All I did was install VMS in the same way that I have installed it on my
    > other VAXen, I did not do anything different. I will look at the things you
    > suggest, but I am not familiar with them, so if you have any good pointers
    > to get me started I would appreciate it.

    I'm the boot disk size limitations are discussed in the comp.os.vms FAQ.
    The limit appears to be 1.073 GB (1fffff blocks in hex). If certain
    critical files are actually located inside the 1fffff limit the
    system will boot.

    > One other thing that might be of note is that when I do a shutdown the
    > machine automatically restarts after the controller error. I am not sure if
    > this is a firmware setting or the consequence of the error.

    The system should only reboot as a result of requesting it when
    running sys$system:shutdown.com. Firmware tells the system what to
    do on power on and on crash, but does not override the shutdown.com
    answer. Sounds like something is messing things up so that the
    console thinks your system crashed or took a power-on interrupt.

  7. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >>
    >> All I did was install VMS in the same way that I have installed it on my
    >> other VAXen, I did not do anything different. I will look at the things
    >> you
    >> suggest, but I am not familiar with them, so if you have any good
    >> pointers
    >> to get me started I would appreciate it.

    > I'm the boot disk size limitations are discussed in the comp.os.vms FAQ.
    > The limit appears to be 1.073 GB (1fffff blocks in hex). If certain
    > critical files are actually located inside the 1fffff limit the
    > system will boot.

    The console reports the disk to 1.08GB, just a fraction over, so I suspect
    this might be my problem.

    >> One other thing that might be of note is that when I do a shutdown the
    >> machine automatically restarts after the controller error. I am not sure
    >> if
    >> this is a firmware setting or the consequence of the error.

    > The system should only reboot as a result of requesting it when
    > running sys$system:shutdown.com. Firmware tells the system what to
    > do on power on and on crash, but does not override the shutdown.com
    > answer. Sounds like something is messing things up so that the
    > console thinks your system crashed or took a power-on interrupt.

  8. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Disk Problem?

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have installed a 1GB IBM SCSI disk in my VAXstation 3100 M38 and I am
    > using it as the system disk. I have installed VMS and everything seems to be
    > fine, except for one thing. When I shut down the machine I get the following
    > error:
    >
    > CANNOT WRITE SYSTEM DUMP; INITIALIZATION OF
    > CONTROLLER FAILED.
    >
    > Furthermore the TEST 50 command reports a status of 000000D4 and I get the
    > dreaded ?? for the SCSI controller. But the machine otherwise seems OK.
    > Should I be concerned?

    IIRC, status D4 is reported when the SCSI Inquiry ID is longer than 15
    characters. SHOW DEV usually shows this, so if the text appears to be
    truncated, that is probably the problem.

    This is not really a problem, but will keep the system from autobooting.

    1GB drives in a VAXstation 3100 can be problematic. Some drives are
    just over the 1GB limit for that machine, some are under. You really
    need to query the drive with a SCSI tool and find out its exact capacity
    in blocks in hex.

    Also, newer SCSI drives may have bits of SCSI 3 in them. Sometimes this
    can cause confusion. I think VMS 6.2 and later are better about this,
    but it can be a problem with VMS 5.5-2.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com