DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory? - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory? - DEC ; In a previous post I was unable to boot this machine. It turns out that there was some faulty memory. Now when I try to boot of the CD-ROM I sometimes get AUDIT_CHECKSUM_INVALID and other times it gets past this ...

  1. DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    In a previous post I was unable to boot this machine. It turns out that
    there was some faulty memory. Now when I try to boot of the CD-ROM I
    sometimes get AUDIT_CHECKSUM_INVALID and other times it gets past this and
    then fails with a problem allocating memory (right now I am getting the
    former error too much and can't tell you the exact message, it think it was
    ALOHUGEPAGE)..

    I am not sure whether the former error indicates a memory problem (TEST
    MEMORY succeeds) or if it is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Any tips would
    be appreciated.

    I am assuming that the second problem is because I am now down to 16Mb and I
    have documentation now that suggests it needs a minimum of 32Mb, so I need
    to find more memory. The question therefore is what kind exactly (I know it
    is a 72-pin SIMM, but does it need to be parity, EDO etc?) and up to what
    sizes will the machine recognise?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    One of the google results described:

    DEC 64MB Kit 4-16MB Modules DRAM 70ns Parity SIMM

    Another one claims that this memory is proprietary, and tries to con buyers into
    paying over $200.

    I do not think it is anything more than good quality generic 72-pin SIMMs.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:35:46 GMT, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:

    >In a previous post I was unable to boot this machine. It turns out that
    >there was some faulty memory. Now when I try to boot of the CD-ROM I
    >sometimes get AUDIT_CHECKSUM_INVALID and other times it gets past this and
    >then fails with a problem allocating memory (right now I am getting the
    >former error too much and can't tell you the exact message, it think it was
    >ALOHUGEPAGE)..
    >
    >I am not sure whether the former error indicates a memory problem (TEST
    >MEMORY succeeds) or if it is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Any tips would
    >be appreciated.
    >
    >I am assuming that the second problem is because I am now down to 16Mb and I
    >have documentation now that suggests it needs a minimum of 32Mb, so I need
    >to find more memory. The question therefore is what kind exactly (I know it
    >is a 72-pin SIMM, but does it need to be parity, EDO etc?) and up to what
    >sizes will the machine recognise?
    >
    >Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Rob

  3. Re: DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > In a previous post I was unable to boot this machine. It turns out that
    > there was some faulty memory. Now when I try to boot of the CD-ROM I
    > sometimes get AUDIT_CHECKSUM_INVALID and other times it gets past this and
    > then fails with a problem allocating memory (right now I am getting the
    > former error too much and can't tell you the exact message, it think it was
    > ALOHUGEPAGE)..
    >
    > I am not sure whether the former error indicates a memory problem (TEST
    > MEMORY succeeds) or if it is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Any tips would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > I am assuming that the second problem is because I am now down to 16Mb and I
    > have documentation now that suggests it needs a minimum of 32Mb, so I need
    > to find more memory. The question therefore is what kind exactly (I know it
    > is a 72-pin SIMM, but does it need to be parity, EDO etc?) and up to what
    > sizes will the machine recognise?

    You need generic 72 pin true parity SIMMs. The original memory was
    70ns, but I am pretty sure that 60ns also works.

    I think you need FPM memory and not EDO, but I don't know of any parity
    SIMMs that are not FPM, so this shouldn't be a problem.

    I know that 4MB and 16MB memory works. I am pretty sure that 8MB also
    works. I don't know about other sizes.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  4. Re: DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    You've confirmed my suspicions. I think I still have some 16MB FPM SIMMs, even
    with DEC part number. The OP can have four of them for a song plus cost of
    first class mail... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:24:13 -0500, Chris Scheers
    wrote:

    >Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> In a previous post I was unable to boot this machine. It turns out that
    >> there was some faulty memory. Now when I try to boot of the CD-ROM I
    >> sometimes get AUDIT_CHECKSUM_INVALID and other times it gets past this and
    >> then fails with a problem allocating memory (right now I am getting the
    >> former error too much and can't tell you the exact message, it think it was
    >> ALOHUGEPAGE)..
    >>
    >> I am not sure whether the former error indicates a memory problem (TEST
    >> MEMORY succeeds) or if it is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Any tips would
    >> be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I am assuming that the second problem is because I am now down to 16Mb and I
    >> have documentation now that suggests it needs a minimum of 32Mb, so I need
    >> to find more memory. The question therefore is what kind exactly (I know it
    >> is a 72-pin SIMM, but does it need to be parity, EDO etc?) and up to what
    >> sizes will the machine recognise?

    >You need generic 72 pin true parity SIMMs. The original memory was
    >70ns, but I am pretty sure that 60ns also works.
    >
    >I think you need FPM memory and not EDO, but I don't know of any parity
    >SIMMs that are not FPM, so this shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    >I know that 4MB and 16MB memory works. I am pretty sure that 8MB also
    >works. I don't know about other sizes.
    >
    >Good luck!

  5. Re: DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    Chris Scheers wrote:

    > I know that 4MB and 16MB memory works. I am pretty sure that 8MB also
    > works. I don't know about other sizes.

    The Jensen also takes 32MB modules for a maximum of 256MB RAM.

    Dennis

    --
    Don't suffer from insanity...
    Enjoy every minute of it.

  6. Re: DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen) - What Type of Memory?

    Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

    > Chris Scheers wrote:
    > >
    > > I know that 4MB and 16MB memory works. I am pretty sure that 8MB also
    > > works. I don't know about other sizes.

    > The Jensen also takes 32MB modules for a maximum of 256MB RAM.

    OOOHHH!!! Excellent! I'll have to see what I can find for mine!

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page