Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards - DEC

This is a discussion on Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards - DEC ; I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that sticks (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can remove individual key caps, but I can't see how ...

  1. Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that sticks
    (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can remove
    individual key caps, but I can't see how to get at the contacts underneath
    to clean them (if that is the problem).

    I have a similar problem with an LK201, again I can remove the cover and the
    keycaps but can't see how to get to the contacts to clean them.

    Can anyone tell me how to do this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that sticks
    > (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can remove
    > individual key caps, but I can't see how to get at the contacts underneath
    > to clean them (if that is the problem).
    >
    > I have a similar problem with an LK201, again I can remove the cover and the
    > keycaps but can't see how to get to the contacts to clean them.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to do this?

    I don't think these are mechanical contact type KBs. I believe they are
    capacitive. So, you may be going in from the wrong "angle"...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  3. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    On 18 Aug, 11:53, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that sticks
    > (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can remove
    > individual key caps, but I can't see how to get at the contacts underneath
    > to clean them (if that is the problem).
    >
    > I have a similar problem with an LK201, again I can remove the cover and the
    > keycaps but can't see how to get to the contacts to clean them.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    It's been a while, but IIRC you split the shell apart then lift off
    several layers of plastic sheets one by one, clean off the congealed
    coffee, and put it all back together in reverse order. Taking photos
    at each stage would be a smart move.

    Chris

  4. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    Hi,

    I haven't yet tackled an LK401, but you should checkout my pictures of
    a disassembled LK201: http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/publi...201/index.html

    I have had good results cleaning the mechanical parts and plastics in
    regular clothes washing power - leave stuff to soak for a while and
    most of the hard work is done for you!

    Regards, Mark.

    chrisj.do...@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > On 18 Aug, 11:53, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > > I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that sticks
    > > (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can remove
    > > individual key caps, but I can't see how to get at the contacts underneath
    > > to clean them (if that is the problem).
    > >
    > > I have a similar problem with an LK201, again I can remove the cover and the
    > > keycaps but can't see how to get to the contacts to clean them.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > It's been a while, but IIRC you split the shell apart then lift off
    > several layers of plastic sheets one by one, clean off the congealed
    > coffee, and put it all back together in reverse order. Taking photos
    > at each stage would be a smart move.
    >
    > Chris

  5. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    "urbancamo" wrote in message
    news:1187643547.592544.46610@k79g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I haven't yet tackled an LK401, but you should checkout my pictures of
    > a disassembled LK201:
    > http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/publi...201/index.html
    >
    > I have had good results cleaning the mechanical parts and plastics in
    > regular clothes washing power - leave stuff to soak for a while and
    > most of the hard work is done for you!
    >
    > Regards, Mark.
    >
    > chrisj.do...@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    >> On 18 Aug, 11:53, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >> > I have a couple of LK401s with some inoperative keys and one key that
    >> > sticks
    >> > (shift key on the left hand side). I can get the cover off and I can
    >> > remove
    >> > individual key caps, but I can't see how to get at the contacts
    >> > underneath
    >> > to clean them (if that is the problem).
    >> >
    >> > I have a similar problem with an LK201, again I can remove the cover
    >> > and the
    >> > keycaps but can't see how to get to the contacts to clean them.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    >> It's been a while, but IIRC you split the shell apart then lift off
    >> several layers of plastic sheets one by one, clean off the congealed
    >> coffee, and put it all back together in reverse order. Taking photos
    >> at each stage would be a smart move.
    >>
    >> Chris

    I came across this last night (from http://www.classiccmp.org/oldfaq.txt):

    Keyboards: I find a cycle through the dishwasher does a really nice
    job on keyboards. Just be sure they're completely dry before you
    put any power to them. If there is reason not to use a dishwasher
    (some key labels can come off) it is usually possible to remove each
    keycap and clean conventionally.

    Has anyone tried this successfully? Any suggestions for a temperature
    setting? Could this fix my keyboard problem?

  6. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    On 21/8/07 18:03, in article mVEyi.36122$1G1.2673@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    "Robert Jarratt" wrote:

    > I came across this last night (from http://www.classiccmp.org/oldfaq.txt):
    >
    > Keyboards: I find a cycle through the dishwasher does a really nice
    > job on keyboards. Just be sure they're completely dry before you
    > put any power to them. If there is reason not to use a dishwasher
    > (some key labels can come off) it is usually possible to remove each
    > keycap and clean conventionally.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this successfully? Any suggestions for a temperature
    > setting? Could this fix my keyboard problem?

    Just make sure that your dishwasher doesn't perform a "drying cycle" - this
    will melt any keyboard you place inside! Salt isn't a good idea, either.
    Other than that it works superbly. Does a nice job on SGI skins, too.

    -Austin.

  7. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    In article , Austin Pass
    wrote:

    > On 21/8/07 18:03, in article mVEyi.36122$1G1.2673@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >
    > > I came across this last night (from http://www.classiccmp.org/oldfaq.txt):
    > >
    > > Keyboards: I find a cycle through the dishwasher does a really nice
    > > job on keyboards. Just be sure they're completely dry before you
    > > put any power to them. If there is reason not to use a dishwasher
    > > (some key labels can come off) it is usually possible to remove each
    > > keycap and clean conventionally.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried this successfully? Any suggestions for a temperature
    > > setting? Could this fix my keyboard problem?

    > Just make sure that your dishwasher doesn't perform a "drying cycle" - this
    > will melt any keyboard you place inside! Salt isn't a good idea, either.
    > Other than that it works superbly. Does a nice job on SGI skins, too.

    Go on Rob. Go for it! I'll keep another LK401 aside for you in case it
    melts.
    PS. I can no longer remember the magic for booting Jensens.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  8. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    > Go on Rob. Go for it! I'll keep another LK401 aside for you in case it
    > melts.

    No - don't do it! If you do accidently do hit the drying cycle it will
    be one ruined keyboard! Regardless, the dishwasher is a harsh
    environment - I tried doing the same with a Spectrum+ casing and it
    stripped paint off (without drying). Admittedly the LK's don't have
    any paint but all the labels, serial numbers etc. will be removed.

    Using clothes detergent/washing powder really works a treat. I have
    done this with two LK201s that have looked pretty awful and they have
    both come up like new. DEC plastics (certainly from the LK201 era) are
    really 1st class.

    Take all the keycaps off and soak them for 1/2 hour in a bucket with a
    scoop of detergent. Use one of the Vileda scrubbers (they are sponge
    backed and have a plastic-like scouring surface that isn't too harsh)
    to remove any extra dirt. The casing can be done the same, but don't
    soak anything with labels - the powder will shift virtually anything.

    I have just scrubbed up a DEC 3000/800 which is a truly fantastic
    piece of kit. Very, very nice.

    I got these tips from clickykeyboards.com - they restore IBM Model M
    keyboards professionally.

    Good luck, Mark.

  9. Re: Repairing LK401 and LK201 Keyboards

    "Elliott Roper" wrote in message
    > In article , Austin Pass
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 21/8/07 18:03, in article mVEyi.36122$1G1.2673@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    >> "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I came across this last night (from
    >> > http://www.classiccmp.org/oldfaq.txt):
    >> >
    >> > Keyboards: I find a cycle through the dishwasher does a really nice
    >> > job on keyboards. Just be sure they're completely dry before you
    >> > put any power to them. If there is reason not to use a dishwasher
    >> > (some key labels can come off) it is usually possible to remove each
    >> > keycap and clean conventionally.
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone tried this successfully? Any suggestions for a temperature
    >> > setting? Could this fix my keyboard problem?

    >> Just make sure that your dishwasher doesn't perform a "drying cycle" -
    >> this
    >> will melt any keyboard you place inside! Salt isn't a good idea, either.
    >> Other than that it works superbly. Does a nice job on SGI skins, too.

    > Go on Rob. Go for it! I'll keep another LK401 aside for you in case it
    > melts.
    > PS. I can no longer remember the magic for booting Jensens.
    >
    > --
    > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    > PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

    Well I did it and so far so good. My dishwasher will always do a drying
    cycle, unless I wash at a very low temperature. I just made sure that I
    listened out for when I thought it had finished washing and had started
    drying, near scalding myself with the hot water that came out of the
    keyboard. The biggest risk to the keyboard was when I dropped it due to the
    scalding water! Surprisingly the lettering on the keys was fine. I now have
    to leave it to dry thoroughly before trying it out, but it does look really
    clean.

+ Reply to Thread