VMS Hobbyist Licence. - DEC

This is a discussion on VMS Hobbyist Licence. - DEC ; As a soon-to-be MicroVAX owner I thought I'd look into obtaining an OpenVMS hobbyist licence. Seems easy enough, or so I thought... I failed at step (1) "Join an appropriate DECUS group." I went (as a UK resident) to the ...

  1. VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    As a soon-to-be MicroVAX owner I thought I'd look into obtaining an OpenVMS
    hobbyist licence.

    Seems easy enough, or so I thought...

    I failed at step (1) "Join an appropriate DECUS group." I went (as a UK
    resident) to the HPUG at http://www.hpug.co.uk.

    An extremely frustrating experience. My attempt at registration ended in a
    bunch of Mambo CMS PHP errors (it couldn't attach to the mailserver) so I
    never received my "activate" email. Also the site didn't make it clear
    whether the aforementioned abortive registration would be sufficient to
    obtain my DECUS membership number or whether I'd need to sign up for their
    (expensive) membership. The Irish equivalent appears to be free, but only
    available to ROI residents.

    Can anyone clear this up for me?

    Regards,
    Austin.

  2. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    Austin Pass writes:

    > Also the site didn't make it clear whether the aforementioned abortive
    > registration would be sufficient to obtain my DECUS membership number or
    > whether I'd need to sign up for their (expensive) membership. The Irish
    > equivalent appears to be free, but only available to ROI residents.

    I believe that US DECUS membership is free to anyone.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

  3. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    "Rich Alderson" wrote in message
    > Austin Pass writes:
    >
    >> Also the site didn't make it clear whether the aforementioned abortive
    >> registration would be sufficient to obtain my DECUS membership number or
    >> whether I'd need to sign up for their (expensive) membership. The Irish
    >> equivalent appears to be free, but only available to ROI residents.

    > I believe that US DECUS membership is free to anyone.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon
    > |
    > news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against
    > |
    > "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and
    > |
    > --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings

    Indeed it is. I am in the UK and joined Encompass US with no problems at
    all. It took a few days for the registration to get through to the site
    where you get your Hobbyist license though, so join quickly so you can get
    licenses as soon as you get your MicroVAX.

  4. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    On 15/8/07 20:08, in article LaIwi.23809$h11.20484@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net,
    "Robert Jarratt" wrote:

    > Indeed it is. I am in the UK and joined Encompass US with no problems at
    > all. It took a few days for the registration to get through to the site
    > where you get your Hobbyist license though, so join quickly so you can get
    > licenses as soon as you get your MicroVAX.

    Am I missing a trick?

    It seems that there is a cost associated with joining?

    http://www.encompassus.org/about/join.cfm

    -Austin.

    P.S. Picked up the MicroVAXen and associated componentry from Elliott
    earlier today. I'd like to say a formal "thank you" to a thoroughly nice
    (and interesting) chap!

  5. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    Austin Pass wrote:

    > On 15/8/07 20:08, in article LaIwi.23809$h11.20484@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net,
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >
    > > Indeed it is. I am in the UK and joined Encompass US with no problems at
    > > all. It took a few days for the registration to get through to the site
    > > where you get your Hobbyist license though, so join quickly so you can get
    > > licenses as soon as you get your MicroVAX.

    > Am I missing a trick?
    >
    > It seems that there is a cost associated with joining?
    >
    > http://www.encompassus.org/about/join.cfm
    >
    > -Austin.
    >
    > P.S. Picked up the MicroVAXen and associated componentry from Elliott
    > earlier today. I'd like to say a formal "thank you" to a thoroughly nice
    > (and interesting) chap!

    You may have missed this on the "join.cfm" page:

    Encompass Associate - Complimentary (limited benefits)
    New Associate? Register via online form

    This will let you get the Hobbyist licenses, unless I am mistaken.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    So you're one of the ones that beat me to it! Don't expect any more help
    from me :-)

    Seriously though, are you local to the Manchester area? I live in Stockport.

    Rob

    "Austin Pass" wrote in message
    > On 15/8/07 20:08, in article LaIwi.23809$h11.20484@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net,
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed it is. I am in the UK and joined Encompass US with no problems at
    >> all. It took a few days for the registration to get through to the site
    >> where you get your Hobbyist license though, so join quickly so you can
    >> get
    >> licenses as soon as you get your MicroVAX.

    > Am I missing a trick?
    >
    > It seems that there is a cost associated with joining?
    >
    > http://www.encompassus.org/about/join.cfm
    >
    > -Austin.
    >
    > P.S. Picked up the MicroVAXen and associated componentry from Elliott
    > earlier today. I'd like to say a formal "thank you" to a thoroughly nice
    > (and interesting) chap!

  7. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    On 16/8/07 01:20, in article 46C39856.5D9453A9@spam.comcast.net, "David J
    Dachtera" wrote:

    > You may have missed this on the "join.cfm" page:
    >
    > Encompass Associate - Complimentary (limited benefits)
    > New Associate? Register via online form
    >
    > This will let you get the Hobbyist licenses, unless I am mistaken.

    You are quite right, of course. "Ich bin ein idiot".

    DECUS membership number duly applied for.

    Thanks for the pointer!

    -Austin.

  8. Re: VMS Hobbyist Licence.

    On 16/8/07 12:14, in article 9kWwi.31041$1G1.17352@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    "Robert Jarratt" wrote:

    > So you're one of the ones that beat me to it! Don't expect any more help
    > from me :-)
    >
    > Seriously though, are you local to the Manchester area? I live in Stockport.
    >
    > Rob

    Ooops - sorry Rob! I didn't realise there were a bunch of collectors after
    the equipment! I only took a carload though - there were still
    Alphastations and a few of the smaller VAXstations. Not to mention a good
    few VT's and I only took one of the monitors....

    I know that Elliott would much rather they went to a fellow enthusiast
    rather than the grumpy guy at the local tip....

    I am Manchester based, yes. I live in Mossley near Stalybridge.

    -Austin.

+ Reply to Thread