d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP -- OS possibilities - DEC

This is a discussion on d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP -- OS possibilities - DEC ; I was given a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP laptop. 266MHz Pentium II and 32MB of RAM (I think). Does anybody have any experience with putting Linux on such a configuration and could comment? Currently, this laptop has no operating system, only ...

  1. d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP -- OS possibilities

    I was given a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP laptop.

    266MHz Pentium II and 32MB of RAM (I think).

    Does anybody have any experience with putting Linux on such a configuration
    and could comment? Currently, this laptop has no operating system, only M$
    Weendoze 95.

    I thinking somethign for the kids to play on but I will not have Micro$haft
    products running in my household.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP -- OS possibilities

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > I was given a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP laptop.
    >
    > 266MHz Pentium II and 32MB of RAM (I think).
    >
    > Does anybody have any experience with putting Linux on such a configuration
    > and could comment? Currently, this laptop has no operating system, only M$
    > Weendoze 95.
    >
    > I thinking somethign for the kids to play on but I will not have Micro$haft
    > products running in my household.

    Well, I haven't loaded Linux on that one, but I did load 0.99 on a
    386 from floppies and found it straight forward and a tolerable chore.

    IMHO, I'd check with the major Linux distributors to see if I could
    find one with an installation kit for that system. Otherwise I'd
    turn the job over to my kids who've gone through a couple dozen
    versions of Linux and several other free UNIX on two different Macs.

    32MB may seem like way too little for some users, but if you're not
    running the latest heavy duty graphics and sonud intensive games I've
    seen Linux running on 1MB single board computers so 32MB ought to be
    enough to keep the kids happy. We used to run adventure in a few KB
    just fine, I don't think its grown any in the last couple decades.

  3. Re: d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP -- OS possibilities

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    >In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >> I was given a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP laptop.
    >>
    >> 266MHz Pentium II and 32MB of RAM (I think).
    >>
    >> Does anybody have any experience with putting Linux on such a configuration
    >> and could comment? Currently, this laptop has no operating system, only M$
    >> Weendoze 95.
    >>
    >> I thinking somethign for the kids to play on but I will not have Micro$haft
    >> products running in my household.

    > Well, I haven't loaded Linux on that one, but I did load 0.99 on a
    > 386 from floppies and found it straight forward and a tolerable chore.
    >
    > IMHO, I'd check with the major Linux distributors to see if I could
    > find one with an installation kit for that system. Otherwise I'd
    > turn the job over to my kids who've gone through a couple dozen
    > versions of Linux and several other free UNIX on two different Macs.
    >
    > 32MB may seem like way too little for some users, but if you're not
    > running the latest heavy duty graphics and sonud intensive games I've
    > seen Linux running on 1MB single board computers so 32MB ought to be
    > enough to keep the kids happy. We used to run adventure in a few KB
    > just fine, I don't think its grown any in the last couple decades.

    Just something so they can surf. If I can get Linux on it and a copy of
    Firefox or Opera that will sufficiently handle today's authored web sites,
    I'd be content and they'll just have to be. I won't, however, be having
    any Micro$haft running here.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

+ Reply to Thread