UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media - DEC

This is a discussion on UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media - DEC ; Just a long shot... Anyone in the UK got a set of DIMMs for a DEC 3000, I believe the part number is MS15-DA? I'm looking for 64MB, 128MB or 256MB expansions. There are eight DIMMs making up the expansion. ...

  1. UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media

    Just a long shot...

    Anyone in the UK got a set of DIMMs for a DEC 3000, I believe the part
    number is MS15-DA? I'm looking for 64MB, 128MB or 256MB expansions.
    There are eight DIMMs making up the expansion.

    I've had various quotes, mostly from the USA, but too much for my
    budget, so I thought I'd turn to see if there is anyone out there with
    these taking up space? The best price I've had is about GBP 50 from
    the USA or ~ GBP 90 from the UK. I got the box for free, so I can't
    really justify spending anything significant on expanding the memory.

    I'm also looking for tru64 4.0G/4.0F media - I've had no success
    searching for this thus far...

    Regards,
    Mark.

  2. Re: UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:25:31 -0700, urbancamo
    wrote in <1186413931.384283.171390@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>:
    > Just a long shot...

    > Anyone in the UK got a set of DIMMs for a DEC 3000, I believe the part
    > number is MS15-DA? I'm looking for 64MB, 128MB or 256MB expansions.
    > There are eight DIMMs making up the expansion.

    Is this any help? I believe it came to 96 MB. I've still got 'em...

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e=source&hl=en

    The DIMMS look very like the ones here (click on the image for a
    larger picture)

    http://www.memoryx.net/ms15da.html

    plus a set of 32(?) MB and the four riser cards to hold the DIMMs.

    --
    Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
    Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

  3. Re: UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media

    In article ,
    "Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:25:31 -0700, urbancamo
    > wrote in <1186413931.384283.171390@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>:
    > > Just a long shot...

    > > Anyone in the UK got a set of DIMMs for a DEC 3000, I believe the part
    > > number is MS15-DA? I'm looking for 64MB, 128MB or 256MB expansions.
    > > There are eight DIMMs making up the expansion.

    > Is this any help? I believe it came to 96 MB. I've still got 'em...
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....?dmode=source&
    > hl=en

    The description sounds right. The risers (MMBs, Memory Mother Boards)
    are part of the system. The SIMMs are the add-on parts.

    The "sandpiper" code name in the description implies a DEC 3000-400,
    -600, or -700 system. These systems have a total memory capacity of 16
    SIMMs.

    5021138-01 B1 is the part number for the bare PC board, not the built-up
    SIMM. They were designed so that one side could be loaded with
    components, for half the capacity of double-sided SIMMs. The 2 sides
    are logically separate; the firmware shows a set of double-sided SIMMs
    as two logical banks of memory.

    The 8 double-sided SIMMs you described make a 64 MB memory kit; the 8
    single-sided SIMMs make a 32 MB kit.

    The ONLY way they will work in a DEC 3000 system is in sets of 8
    identical SIMMs.

    > The DIMMS look very like the ones here (click on the image for a
    > larger picture)
    >
    > http://www.memoryx.net/ms15da.html

    The SIMMs in the picture definitely match my DEC 3000 SIMMs. The
    description on the accompanying web page is correct.

    > plus a set of 32(?) MB and the four riser cards to hold the DIMMs.

    The risers (MMBs, Memory Mother Boards) are part of the system. The
    SIMMs are the add-on parts.

  4. Re: UK, MS15-DA 64 MB RAM DEC 3000/600 and tru64 4.0G media

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:55:07 -0400, Robert Deininger

    wrote in :
    > In article ,
    > "Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote:

    >> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:25:31 -0700, urbancamo
    >> wrote in <1186413931.384283.171390@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>:
    >> > Just a long shot...

    >> > Anyone in the UK got a set of DIMMs for a DEC 3000, I believe the part
    >> > number is MS15-DA? I'm looking for 64MB, 128MB or 256MB expansions.
    >> > There are eight DIMMs making up the expansion.

    >> Is this any help? I believe it came to 96 MB. I've still got 'em...

    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....?dmode=source&
    >> hl=en

    > The description sounds right. The risers (MMBs, Memory Mother Boards)
    > are part of the system. The SIMMs are the add-on parts.

    > The "sandpiper" code name in the description implies a DEC 3000-400,
    > -600, or -700 system. These systems have a total memory capacity of 16
    > SIMMs.

    > 5021138-01 B1 is the part number for the bare PC board, not the built-up
    > SIMM. They were designed so that one side could be loaded with
    > components, for half the capacity of double-sided SIMMs. The 2 sides
    > are logically separate; the firmware shows a set of double-sided SIMMs
    > as two logical banks of memory.

    > The 8 double-sided SIMMs you described make a 64 MB memory kit; the 8
    > single-sided SIMMs make a 32 MB kit.

    OK, I just posted the 64 MB kit off to Mark, so the 32 MB kit is
    still available if it will work for someone. Posting weight was 236 g,
    1.38 First Class within the UK, so the smaller kit should be similar.