Old DEC Monitor quandry - DEC

This is a discussion on Old DEC Monitor quandry - DEC ; I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use anymore. However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they weigh in at circa. 90 pounds. I'd really hate ...

  1. Old DEC Monitor quandry

    I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use anymore.
    However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they weigh
    in at circa. 90 pounds.

    I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    shipping would be prohibitively expensive.

    So, I need two good ideas:

    1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?

    2. Has anyone found a 100% usable solution for substituting SVGA screens for
    these three-lead, sync-on-green monitors? (I've seen a lot of suggestions and
    do-it-yourself projects, but no hard evidence of an off-the-shelf, no "fiddling"
    solution.)

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  2. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    I have a Viewsonic VA912 which is a 19" LCD Flat Panel which I have
    "successfully" used with a VAXstation 4000 VLC. It was not perfect but
    worked well enough for me, unfortunately it would take me a little time
    right now to get it set up again to check and tell you what the
    imperfections were.

    Regards

    Rob

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    >I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use
    >anymore.
    > However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they
    > weigh
    > in at circa. 90 pounds.
    >
    > I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    > shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
    >
    > So, I need two good ideas:
    >
    > 1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?
    >
    > 2. Has anyone found a 100% usable solution for substituting SVGA screens
    > for
    > these three-lead, sync-on-green monitors? (I've seen a lot of suggestions
    > and
    > do-it-yourself projects, but no hard evidence of an off-the-shelf, no
    > "fiddling"
    > solution.)
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  3. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use anymore.
    > However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they weigh
    > in at circa. 90 pounds.
    >
    > I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    > shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
    >
    > So, I need two good ideas:
    >
    > 1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?

    Well, you start by saying where to pick them up and when is a good time.

    > 2. Has anyone found a 100% usable solution for substituting SVGA screens for
    > these three-lead, sync-on-green monitors? (I've seen a lot of suggestions and
    > do-it-yourself projects, but no hard evidence of an off-the-shelf, no "fiddling"
    > solution.)

    Sorry, I have a twenty inch monitor that I could swear weighs more than
    I do and never mind that my scale argues to the contrary. ;-) I THINK I
    could still lift it but I hate to think about trying. I've had at least
    eleven years of use out of it and it's still going strong.

    If it dies before I do, I'll just log on from "PC vulgaris" using
    Reflection X and a nice new flat panel monitor.

  4. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I have a Viewsonic VA912 which is a 19" LCD Flat Panel which I have
    > "successfully" used with a VAXstation 4000 VLC. It was not perfect but
    > worked well enough for me, unfortunately it would take me a little time
    > right now to get it set up again to check and tell you what the
    > imperfections were.

    I'm not as concerned about imperfections as actually making the connection using
    store-bought kit.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use anymore.
    > > However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they weigh
    > > in at circa. 90 pounds.
    > >
    > > I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    > > shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
    > >
    > > So, I need two good ideas:
    > >
    > > 1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?

    > Well, you start by saying where to pick them up and when is a good time.

    Go to my home page (link below), go to any page other than the home page and
    click the "Contact Us" link - it's deactivated on the home page because I found
    that reduced my spam by a very large percentage. The web crawlers still find it,
    but address harvestors tend to be less comprehensive.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    You present a couple of interesting challenges.

    Try the computer section of craigslist for your area. Advertise them truthfully
    and honestly for what they are. You may get lucky.

    Most of the cable adapters I've seen are for co-ax monitors to SVGA 15-pin
    graphics cards. You need the opposite. Not sure if they exist. I wonder if
    one of the cable adapters would work if reversed? For sure, do not even
    consider a flat panel LCD monitor with a digital video interface connector.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:43:00 -0500, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    >I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use anymore.
    >However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they weigh
    >in at circa. 90 pounds.
    >
    >I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    >shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
    >
    >So, I need two good ideas:
    >
    >1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?
    >
    >2. Has anyone found a 100% usable solution for substituting SVGA screens for
    >these three-lead, sync-on-green monitors? (I've seen a lot of suggestions and
    >do-it-yourself projects, but no hard evidence of an off-the-shelf, no "fiddling"
    >solution.)

  7. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    [followups set to comp.os.vms]
    Ben Myers wrote:
    > You present a couple of interesting challenges.
    >
    > Try the computer section of craigslist for your area. Advertise them truthfully
    > and honestly for what they are. You may get lucky.
    >
    > Most of the cable adapters I've seen are for co-ax monitors to SVGA 15-pin
    > graphics cards. You need the opposite. Not sure if they exist. I wonder if
    > one of the cable adapters would work if reversed? For sure, do not even
    > consider a flat panel LCD monitor with a digital video interface connector.

    The adapters to allow modern multi-sync monitors to be used with
    VAXstations were available the last time this topic came up on comp.os.vms.

    Digital used to sell one, and that is what they used when one of the
    older monitors on a support contract died and they replaced it with a
    multi-sync monitor.

    Now if LCD monitors will work with those, I do not know.

    My ELSA card seemed to overdrive an LCD monitor that I had. The same
    monitor worked fine with a Radeon card on the same DS10.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  8. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:43:00 -0700, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    > I have two 19-inch VRTs (the Sony Trinitrons) that I don't plan to use
    > anymore.
    > However, my back has gone south and I will need help to move them - they
    > weigh
    > in at circa. 90 pounds.
    >
    > I'd really hate to scrap/recycle them, but I can't lift them anymore and
    > shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
    >
    > So, I need two good ideas:
    >
    > 1. How do I find takers for these who would be willing to come get them?
    >
    > 2. Has anyone found a 100% usable solution for substituting SVGA screens
    > for
    > these three-lead, sync-on-green monitors? (I've seen a lot of
    > suggestions and
    > do-it-yourself projects, but no hard evidence of an off-the-shelf, no
    > "fiddling"
    > solution.)

    1. Buy a cable that has BNCs at one end and the SVGA at other, ca. $15
    2. Buy three F-F BNC couplers. ca. $4
    Bob's your uncle.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  9. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Ben Myers wrote:

    > Most of the cable adapters I've seen are for co-ax monitors to SVGA 15-pin
    > graphics cards. You need the opposite. Not sure if they exist. I wonder if
    > one of the cable adapters would work if reversed? For sure, do not even
    > consider a flat panel LCD monitor with a digital video interface connector.

    DEC and later Compaq used to offer a suitable adapter box with three BNC
    inputs as of a monitor on one side and a HD15 output on the other. Its
    order number was 29-32549-01, priced at $30 back in 2000.

    Iiyama used to offer a similar "reverse" adapter cable as with some of
    their newer CRTs, e.g. ones with two HD15 inputs only, they recognised the
    lack of a BNC input as a shortcoming. The order number was MB31, IIRC.
    Similar parts may be available from independent manufacturers of
    cables/adapters too.

    Alternatively, if the workstation's graphics output is 3W3, then DEC and
    later Compaq used to offer 3W3 to HD15 adapter cables. Their order
    numbers were 17-03851-01 and 17-04816-01, priced at $86 and $66 back in
    2002, respectively.

    For any of the former DEC parts you could certainly try asking HP through
    their support channel, but chances are they have gone out of stock now.
    I have got a pair of the 17-04816-01 cables which I use with my DECstation
    and VAXstation gear, so 1) they do exist and 2) they work. I spotted one
    on eBay once too.

    Of course all these solutions will result in some signal quality
    degradation, but that is unavoidable anyway if you use analogue signalling
    and HD15 connectors.

    Maciej

  10. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    On Jul 31, 9:58 am, "Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Ben Myers wrote:
    > > Most of the cable adapters I've seen are for co-ax monitors to SVGA 15-pin
    > > graphics cards. You need the opposite. Not sure if they exist. I wonder if
    > > one of the cable adapters would work if reversed? For sure, do not even
    > > consider a flat panel LCD monitor with a digital video interface connector.

    > DEC and later Compaq used to offer a suitable adapter box with three BNC
    > inputs as of a monitor on one side and a HD15 output on the other. Its
    > order number was 29-32549-01, priced at $30 back in 2000.
    >
    > Iiyama used to offer a similar "reverse" adapter cable as with some of
    > their newer CRTs, e.g. ones with two HD15 inputs only, they recognised the
    > lack of a BNC input as a shortcoming. The order number was MB31, IIRC.
    > Similar parts may be available from independent manufacturers of
    > cables/adapters too.
    >
    > Alternatively, if the workstation's graphics output is 3W3, then DEC and
    > later Compaq used to offer 3W3 to HD15 adapter cables. Their order
    > numbers were 17-03851-01 and 17-04816-01, priced at $86 and $66 back in
    > 2002, respectively.
    >
    > For any of the former DEC parts you could certainly try asking HP through
    > their support channel, but chances are they have gone out of stock now.
    > I have got a pair of the 17-04816-01 cables which I use with my DECstation
    > and VAXstation gear, so 1) they do exist and 2) they work. I spotted one
    > on eBay once too.
    >
    > Of course all these solutions will result in some signal quality
    > degradation, but that is unavoidable anyway if you use analogue signalling
    > and HD15 connectors.
    >
    > Maciej

    see the thread

    VGA video adapter for Vaxstation 4000 model 60

    at

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3aec8e7249992c

    that talks some about VGA cables and adapters (including a detailed
    post of
    mine on several options I have used, including one on my 19 inch
    ViewSonic LCD).

    Verne

  11. Re: Old DEC Monitor quandry

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Verne wrote:

    > see the thread
    >
    > VGA video adapter for Vaxstation 4000 model 60
    >
    > at
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3aec8e7249992c
    >
    > that talks some about VGA cables and adapters (including a detailed
    > post of
    > mine on several options I have used, including one on my 19 inch
    > ViewSonic LCD).

    Thanks for the reference. Actually, to be clear, the 17-04816-01 is a
    male 3W3 to female HD15 adapter cable, so it works even with
    VGA-compatible monitors that only have a captive HD15 input cable
    (sync-on-green is required as there is no signal splitter in the adapter
    of any kind). Though at the moment I use it with a Sun-branded monitor,
    which has a captive 13W3 input cable, so I use an HD15 to 13W3 adapter
    cable inbetween as well.

    And to be regarded as an utter heretic I shall remark I use it with my
    VAXstation 4000 Model 90 under Linux, with a TURBOchannel graphics adapter
    (the PMAGD-CA is a nice 24-plane one) as the console output device. By
    now I have certainly voided each and every warranty that might have ever
    been applicable to pieces of hardware involved. ;-)

    And yes, the 17-04816-01 is genuine d|i|g|i|t|a|l too -- moulded in the
    HD15 connector (the 3W3 end is plain). I suppose sparks should be coming
    from the connection with the Sun part sometimes. ;-)

    Maciej

+ Reply to Thread