VT220 with green screen? - DEC

This is a discussion on VT220 with green screen? - DEC ; Hello, Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the ...

  1. VT220 with green screen?

    Hello,

    Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    but they have suddenly become rare.
    I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    there. I found a VT320 recently, though.

    If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    give the terminal a good new home.

    Regards,

    Kari

  2. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article <469681fe$0$9944$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Uusim=E4ki?= wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    >good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    >of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    >of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    >As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    >but they have suddenly become rare.
    >I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    >there. I found a VT320 recently, though.
    >
    >If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    >give the terminal a good new home.

    Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.

    The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.

    /BAH

  3. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    wrote:

    >Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.

    You're perhaps thinking of the VT240.

    The VT220s that I've used have had either white or amber phosphorus.
    I have a vague recollection of seeing a green one in some machine room
    or other but I could be imagining it.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  4. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    wrote:
    >In article <469681fe$0$9944$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Uusim=E4ki?= wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    >>good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    >>of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    >>of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    >>As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    >>but they have suddenly become rare.
    >>I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    >>there. I found a VT320 recently, though.
    >>
    >>If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    >>give the terminal a good new home.

    >Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >
    >The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    >was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.
    >
    >/BAH

    Nope... the VT220 had -A -B and -C availability IIRC on the letters.
    They were White, Amber and Green.

    I used to have debates on the colors and their effect on eye strain back
    then.

    There were a lot of amber and white in my area -- green was fairly rare
    in DEC.

    Bill
    --
    "When I think back on all the crap I learned in Vax school
    It's a wonder I fixed anything at all." (to the tune of Kodachrome)

  5. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    pechter@pechter.dyndns.org (William Pechter) writes:
    > In article ,
    > wrote:
    >>In article <469681fe$0$9944$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    >> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Uusim=E4ki?= wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    >>>good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    >>>of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    >>>of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    >>>As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    >>>but they have suddenly become rare.
    >>>I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    >>>there. I found a VT320 recently, though.
    >>>
    >>>If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    >>>give the terminal a good new home.

    >>Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >>
    >>The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    >>was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.
    >>
    >>/BAH

    > Nope... the VT220 had -A -B and -C availability IIRC on the letters.
    > They were White, Amber and Green.
    >
    > I used to have debates on the colors and their effect on eye strain back
    > then.
    >
    > There were a lot of amber and white in my area -- green was fairly rare
    > in DEC.

    I seem to remember that about the time "ergonomics" was becoming a
    "science" the colors and their effects were studied. The US scientists
    found amber to be the best for your eyes and I believe OSHA or someone
    in the government started mandating it. In the meantime, scientists
    in Europe came to the totally different conclusion that green was better.
    Personally, I have always found green to be best. Except when I ran into
    idiots who ran the color scheme reversed so that it was black foreground
    on a bright green background. I always found it to be like staring at
    a green lightbulb all day!!

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article , jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:

    > Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.

    There was a color terminal in the VT200 line (VT240?), but the
    standard VT220 came with your choice of three different phosphors
    in the tube, green was one of the choices.

  7. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article , pechter@pechter.dyndns.org (William Pechter) writes:

    > Nope... the VT220 had -A -B and -C availability IIRC on the letters.
    > They were White, Amber and Green.

    VT220 were the only DEC terminals that gave me more eye strain than
    VT100. VT100 was solved when DEC brought out the VT300 line and sold
    of the remaining stock of VT100 anti-glare screen covers through
    DECdirect at $5.

    The color of the VT220 didn't seem to matter, but most of my
    experience with them was at a DEC software class where they were
    amber. At work VT100 were going used too cheaply for us to even
    consider VT220.

  8. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article <5fp9j7F3dnmuaU2@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > I seem to remember that about the time "ergonomics" was becoming a
    > "science" the colors and their effects were studied. The US scientists
    > found amber to be the best for your eyes and I believe OSHA or someone
    > in the government started mandating it. In the meantime, scientists
    > in Europe came to the totally different conclusion that green was better.
    > Personally, I have always found green to be best. Except when I ran into
    > idiots who ran the color scheme reversed so that it was black foreground
    > on a bright green background. I always found it to be like staring at
    > a green lightbulb all day!!

    I didn't have a green screem to try that on enough, but on VT100 I
    found dark letters on a light background with the intensity turned
    down much less straining than the other way. DEC had done some work
    in this area and has published a statement claiming that was so, I
    think there was an assumption that growing up with dark letters on
    white paper may have had some causal effect.

    My VT340 at home is set up with a light background at low intensity
    and I'm quite happy with it. But right now I'm using puTTY with
    white characters on a black background on a Lenevo laptop and not
    feeling particularly strained.

    I think the wide adoption of color displays has altered what our eyes
    are accustomed to. But then eyes change, I can no longer read a book
    with or without glasses without growing quite sleepy, whether I
    actually feel eye strain or not. I picked up a not very good SF
    trilogy and I use it to start naps. But I will get through Harry
    Potter later this month quite a bit faster, a good book helps me
    fight the eyelids.

  9. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article <$esq0DtwPjOz@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > I didn't have a green screem to try that on enough, but on VT100 I
    > found dark letters on a light background with the intensity turned
    > down much less straining than the other way. DEC had done some work
    > in this area and has published a statement claiming that was so, I
    > think there was an assumption that growing up with dark letters on
    > white paper may have had some causal effect.

    I switched to "reverse video" when I first got access to a VT-100 and have
    used it ever since. MUCH less eye strain, and the brighter screen with dark
    letters was less succeptible to glare. Even now, on a peecee with a "VT100"
    emulator, I'm looking at a white screen with black lettering.

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  10. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >
    > The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    > was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.

    Indeed, as others have posted, you appear to have confused VT220 with VT240
    (color, graphics-capable).

    Green was my preferred color for VT220 tubes.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  11. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote:
    >In article ,
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >>

    > You're perhaps thinking of the VT240.

    Possibly. I lost track of the TTY numbers after the VT52.
    I thought I had a 220.

    /BAH

  12. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    pechter@pechter.dyndns.org (William Pechter) wrote:
    >In article ,
    > wrote:
    >>In article <469681fe$0$9944$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    >> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Uusim=E4ki?= wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    >>>good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    >>>of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    >>>of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    >>>As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    >>>but they have suddenly become rare.
    >>>I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    >>>there. I found a VT320 recently, though.
    >>>
    >>>If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    >>>give the terminal a good new home.

    >>Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >>
    >>The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    >>was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.
    >>
    >>/BAH

    >Nope... the VT220 had -A -B and -C availability IIRC on the letters.
    >They were White, Amber and Green.
    >
    >I used to have debates on the colors and their effect on eye strain back
    >then.
    >
    >There were a lot of amber and white in my area -- green was fairly rare
    >in DEC.

    Green was the best for the eyes.

    /BAH

  13. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    Uusimäki wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Do anybody happen to have a VT220 with green screen which is still in
    > good shape? I would very much like to have one in my modest collection
    > of vintage DEC hardware. If I remember correctly, it was the first type
    > of terminal I started with back in the 80's.
    > As those were built with quality, many have outlasted newer terminals,
    > but they have suddenly become rare.
    > I have followed Ebay auctions for some time, but never seen a VT220
    > there. I found a VT320 recently, though.
    >
    > If someone would be so kind to part from his VT220, I'll be happy to
    > give the terminal a good new home.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    I'm ready to trade a VT510 for a VT220 in good condition with a green
    screen so that who will give up his VT220 don't need to bother to find
    another terminal.

    Regards,

    Kari

  14. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:

    > Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.
    >
    > The only green screen TTY that DEC sold (that I know about)
    > was the VT06 and we didn't manufacture it.

    I have several VT320s with white, green and amber screens.

  15. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    Uusimäki schreef:
    > Uusimäki wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>

    > I'm ready to trade a VT510 for a VT220 in good condition with a green
    > screen so that who will give up his VT220 don't need to bother to find
    > another terminal.

    Kari,

    where are you located? I may have one green VT220 for you.
    Sent me a PM with your contact info pls.

    Frank

  16. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article ,
    jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:

    > Green screen? I thought VT220s had the colors settable.

    The VT220 wasn't a graphical terminal. You could order terminals with
    your choice of white, green, or amber.

    --
    While its true that "you can't fix stupid", apparently you
    can package it up and sell it. -- fnorgby on TMBO

  17. Re: VT220 with green screen?

    In article <469846A7.12EB78F0@spam.comcast.net>,
    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > Indeed, as others have posted, you appear to have confused VT220 with VT240
    > (color, graphics-capable).

    As I recall it, VT220 was single color, no graphics. VT240 was single
    color, with graphics, VT241 was multiple color, with graphics.

    The VT220 was in a kind of triangular case, seen from the side, with a
    separate keyboard. The VT24x was a kind of pizza box with a separate
    monitor on top, which differed depending on whether you got the 0 or the
    1 variant.

    --
    While its true that "you can't fix stupid", apparently you
    can package it up and sell it. -- fnorgby on TMBO

+ Reply to Thread