VAXstation 4000 VLC - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 4000 VLC - DEC ; I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG VLC-Owner Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. VAXstation 4000 VLC

    I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG VLC-Owner
    Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone have an
    electronic copy of this anywhere?

    I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a keyboard
    to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what type of
    mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    VGA monitor.

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Robert Jarratt schrieb:
    > I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    > information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG VLC-Owner
    > Guide but I can't find it when I search the web.

    Usually you can find a lot of DEC docs at

    http://vt100.net/mirror/mds-199909/cd1/vax/
    and
    http://deathrow.vistech.net/~cvisors/DEC94MDS/

    both sites seem to be down at the moment, however,
    hopefully not for good.

    > Does anyone have an
    > electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >
    > I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    > monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a keyboard
    > to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what type of
    > mouse it needs.

    You need an LK401- keyboard and an VSXXX-AA or -GA mouse,
    same as for other VAXstations.

    > I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    > VGA monitor.

    Mine did so.

  3. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Robert Jarratt schrieb:

    > > I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    > > VGA monitor.

    > Mine did so.

    Actually I believe it requires a monitor that supports "Sync on Green". I
    had mine hooked up briefly to the DEC 17" SVGA monitor that came the
    AlphaStation 500/333 I bought from Compaq.

    Also, doesn't the monitor cable have BNC connections?

    Zane

  4. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    > information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG VLC-Owner
    > Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone have an
    > electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >
    > I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    > monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a keyboard
    > to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what type of
    > mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    > VGA monitor.

    The RJ11 "handset" jack is for a keyboard. I know an LK401 will work.
    I think an LK201 will work.

    To switch to booting from the graphics head, you need to flip the switch S3.

    What monitor it will work with depends on the video board. I think
    there are at least four different boards for this machine. Boot to the
    ">>>" prompt and enter the command "SHOW CONFIG". Let us know what is
    listed for the video card.

    Also, what type of connector is on the video card? If it is a PC style
    15 pin VGA connector, a VGA monitor should work. If it is a different
    connector, it probably requires a monitor that can do sync-on-green at a
    particular frequency. Some VGA monitors will work for this, but many won't.

    One other bit of VLC info: It requires 4MB parity SIMMs. Maximum memory
    is 24MB.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  5. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    healyzh@aracnet.com schrieb:
    > Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Jarratt schrieb:

    >>>I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    >>>VGA monitor.

    >>Mine did so.

    > Actually I believe it requires a monitor that supports "Sync on Green".

    Yes, I think so, but those old monitors use to have it.
    I tried an SGI and an Eizo, even a modern flatscreen,
    an Eizo L66, did the job, surprisingly.

    > had mine hooked up briefly to the DEC 17" SVGA monitor that came the
    > AlphaStation 500/333 I bought from Compaq.
    >
    > Also, doesn't the monitor cable have BNC connections?

    yes, one would need an 3W3-to-VGA adapter,
    a rare beast as it seems.
    Instead, I use a 3W3-BNC plus a BNC-VGA cable,
    both of which seem to be easier available.
    Some of the Eizo's have a variety of inputs,
    including BNC, if you're lucky.
    But since I have a plethora of boxes I convert
    all their video output to VGA an run them through
    a KVM switch. I presume these parts are available
    for VGA only.

  6. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    On 11 Jul, 21:51, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    > information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG VLC-Owner
    > Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone have an
    > electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >
    > I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    > monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a keyboard
    > to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what type of
    > mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    > VGA monitor.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    I have a paper copy of the manual if you need something looked up, but
    mostly it's common sense.

    Memory SIMMs can be salvaged from early PCs.

    I think any LK keyboard will work. Try the one on your VT220. I have a
    pile of assorted LKs here looking for good homes, but as I'm in the
    UK, this is probably not much help.

    One word of warning: If you upgrade the hard drive, choose one with a
    low power consumption -- the baby PSU in the VLC doesn't have much
    oomph!

    A question of my own: Has anyone used the audio facility on the VLC?
    All the manual says is that it exists. How many bits is it? Mono or
    stereo? ...?

    Chris

  7. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > healyzh@aracnet.com schrieb:

    > > Also, doesn't the monitor cable have BNC connections?

    > yes, one would need an 3W3-to-VGA adapter,
    > a rare beast as it seems.
    > Instead, I use a 3W3-BNC plus a BNC-VGA cable,
    > both of which seem to be easier available.

    Actually I wasn't aware of the existance of 3W3-to-VGA adapters, and have
    never seen a BNC-VGA cable (I have a BNC-13W3 cable). A quick google seems
    to suggest the 3W3-BNC & BNC-VGA cables route. I'll have to keep an eye out
    for a BNC-VGA cable as that sounds like a handy thing to have. Especially
    as my last monitor with BNC connections is dying (that DEC 17"). I also
    need to try to pick up a good LCD panel that supports SOG and is 1280x1024
    native. I'm starting to worry about the availability of standard format
    monitors as most of the new ones I'm seeing in stores are now widescreen.

    > But since I have a plethora of boxes I convert
    > all their video output to VGA an run them through
    > a KVM switch. I presume these parts are available
    > for VGA only.

    A couple of the high end KVM manufacturers used to make KVM's that would
    support a mixture of video standards (VGA, 13W3, and probably others) if you
    had the right cables. Finding these now would likely be difficult.

    Zane

  8. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > I think any LK keyboard will work. Try the one on your VT220. I have a
    > pile of assorted LKs here looking for good homes, but as I'm in the
    > UK, this is probably not much help.

    I believe either a LK201 or LK401 will work.

    > One word of warning: If you upgrade the hard drive, choose one with a
    > low power consumption -- the baby PSU in the VLC doesn't have much
    > oomph!

    I wonder if this was why I was never able to get an internal HD working
    reliably. I find that a BA353 is a nice addition to a VAXstation 4000VLC,
    especially if you can get one with a CD-ROM SBB (I think that's the slot
    that is messed up in mine). I was initially using a BA350 with the faster
    7200RPM drives, but found that to be a problem due to noise and heat.

    I currently us a VAXstation 4000VLC with a BA353 and 1 RZ28 (2GB HD) as a
    DECnet router. When I need to boot it I temporarily plug it into a VT420.
    The battery is long dead and it won't automatically boot. Does anyone have
    details on replacing the battery?

    Zane

  9. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Actually, I am in the UK too and I have just realised that my VT220 keyboard
    *does* fit the machine, for some reason I had convinced myself that the
    keyboard used an MMJ, but it doesn't of course.

    Thanks

    Rob

    wrote in message
    news:1184245680.788804.46470@d55g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > On 11 Jul, 21:51, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >> I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    >> information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG
    >> VLC-Owner
    >> Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone have an
    >> electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >>
    >> I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    >> monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a
    >> keyboard
    >> to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what type of
    >> mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a standard
    >> VGA monitor.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    > I have a paper copy of the manual if you need something looked up, but
    > mostly it's common sense.
    >
    > Memory SIMMs can be salvaged from early PCs.
    >
    > I think any LK keyboard will work. Try the one on your VT220. I have a
    > pile of assorted LKs here looking for good homes, but as I'm in the
    > UK, this is probably not much help.
    >
    > One word of warning: If you upgrade the hard drive, choose one with a
    > low power consumption -- the baby PSU in the VLC doesn't have much
    > oomph!
    >
    > A question of my own: Has anyone used the audio facility on the VLC?
    > All the manual says is that it exists. How many bits is it? Mono or
    > stereo? ...?
    >
    > Chris

  10. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    On 12 Jul, 19:18, heal...@aracnet.com wrote:
    > chrisj.do...@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > > I think any LK keyboard will work. Try the one on your VT220. I have a
    > > pile of assorted LKs here looking for good homes, but as I'm in the
    > > UK, this is probably not much help.

    > I believe either a LK201 or LK401 will work.
    >
    > > One word of warning: If you upgrade the hard drive, choose one with a
    > > low power consumption -- the baby PSU in the VLC doesn't have much
    > > oomph!

    > I wonder if this was why I was never able to get an internal HD working
    > reliably.

    I should have added that it's a bit fussy about dip shunts on the
    drive. One incorrect option magically shows it as 8 separate LUNs! I
    forget the details, but it was something totally unconnected with
    address selection.

    I should also have added a warning not to put anything heavy on top of
    the box. There is a fault that causes the PCB to flex and something
    becomes intermittent. There was an FCO that involved a strategically-
    placed washer (so we called it the "washer bug"), but again I don't
    have details.

    > I find that a BA353 is a nice addition to a VAXstation 4000VLC,
    > especially if you can get one with a CD-ROM SBB (I think that's the slot
    > that is messed up in mine). I was initially using a BA350 with the faster
    > 7200RPM drives, but found that to be a problem due to noise and heat.
    >
    > I currently us a VAXstation 4000VLC with a BA353 and 1 RZ28 (2GB HD) as a
    > DECnet router. When I need to boot it I temporarily plug it into a VT420.
    > The battery is long dead and it won't automatically boot. Does anyone have
    > details on replacing the battery?
    >
    > Zane

    Does it also lose time? There's a Dallas "chip" inside (overgrown IC
    with the word "Dallas" and a clock on it). I guess it's in there. You
    need to get a new one, or I've heard that you can pop the lid and
    replace the watch battery inside.

    Chris

  11. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Not much luck finding suitable SIMMs on eBay, as most people do not state
    whether they implement parity or not and I find it hard to tell. Does anyone
    have any part numbers to help identify suitable memory?

    Thanks

    Rob

    "Chris Scheers" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    >> information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG
    >> VLC-Owner Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone
    >> have an electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >>
    >> I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    >> monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a
    >> keyboard to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what
    >> type of mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a
    >> standard VGA monitor.

    > The RJ11 "handset" jack is for a keyboard. I know an LK401 will work. I
    > think an LK201 will work.
    >
    > To switch to booting from the graphics head, you need to flip the switch
    > S3.
    >
    > What monitor it will work with depends on the video board. I think there
    > are at least four different boards for this machine. Boot to the ">>>"
    > prompt and enter the command "SHOW CONFIG". Let us know what is listed
    > for the video card.
    >
    > Also, what type of connector is on the video card? If it is a PC style 15
    > pin VGA connector, a VGA monitor should work. If it is a different
    > connector, it probably requires a monitor that can do sync-on-green at a
    > particular frequency. Some VGA monitors will work for this, but many
    > won't.
    >
    > One other bit of VLC info: It requires 4MB parity SIMMs. Maximum memory
    > is 24MB.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >

    > --
    > Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.
    >
    > Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    > Fax: 817-237-3074

  12. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > I should also have added a warning not to put anything heavy on top of
    > the box. There is a fault that causes the PCB to flex and something
    > becomes intermittent. There was an FCO that involved a strategically-
    > placed washer (so we called it the "washer bug"), but again I don't
    > have details.

    This is most interesting, as I do have the BA353 sitting on top of my
    VAXstation 4000/VLC, and for that matter the VAX is sitting on top of the
    BA350 it had been using. I probably should look into having it sit in the
    "rack" where my old VAXstation 3100/20 sits, powered off.

    Zane

  13. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > [snip]
    > I should also have added a warning not to put anything heavy on top of
    > the box. There is a fault that causes the PCB to flex and something
    > becomes intermittent. There was an FCO that involved a strategically-
    > placed washer (so we called it the "washer bug"), but again I don't
    > have details.

    When my VLC was "in production", it had a 19-inch Sony Trinitron sitting on top
    of it (80+lbs.! I can't even lift it off the floor anymore since my back gave
    out) and a BA353 "pizza box" underneath it.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  14. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    On 14 Jul, 03:48, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > chrisj.do...@proemail.co.uk wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > I should also have added a warning not to put anything heavy on top of
    > > the box. There is a fault that causes the PCB to flex and something
    > > becomes intermittent. There was an FCO that involved a strategically-
    > > placed washer (so we called it the "washer bug"), but again I don't
    > > have details.

    > When my VLC was "in production", it had a 19-inch Sony Trinitron sitting on top
    > of it (80+lbs.! I can't even lift it off the floor anymore since my back gave
    > out) and a BA353 "pizza box" underneath it.

    Well, of course, you and Zane may have a later model with the washer
    installed. After a while we just avoided standing VRC-21s on top of
    'em, so I don't know how long into the production run the problem
    persisted.

    Chris

  15. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    The part number of the 4MB SIMM (1MBx36) is 20-36110-05.
    The option number is MS40-AA.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Kari

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > Not much luck finding suitable SIMMs on eBay, as most people do not state
    > whether they implement parity or not and I find it hard to tell. Does anyone
    > have any part numbers to help identify suitable memory?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "Chris Scheers" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I have just bought one of these on EBay and I am trying to find some
    >>> information. There is an owner's manual with reference EK-VAXVL-OG
    >>> VLC-Owner Guide but I can't find it when I search the web. Does anyone
    >>> have an electronic copy of this anywhere?
    >>>
    >>> I can get it to boot up from a VT220 but I would like to connect it to a
    >>> monitor, so I am particularly interested to know how to connect a
    >>> keyboard to it as it has an RJ-11-like socket but it is not MMJ, and what
    >>> type of mouse it needs. I would also like to know if it will work with a
    >>> standard VGA monitor.

    >> The RJ11 "handset" jack is for a keyboard. I know an LK401 will work. I
    >> think an LK201 will work.
    >>
    >> To switch to booting from the graphics head, you need to flip the switch
    >> S3.
    >>
    >> What monitor it will work with depends on the video board. I think there
    >> are at least four different boards for this machine. Boot to the ">>>"
    >> prompt and enter the command "SHOW CONFIG". Let us know what is listed
    >> for the video card.
    >>
    >> Also, what type of connector is on the video card? If it is a PC style 15
    >> pin VGA connector, a VGA monitor should work. If it is a different
    >> connector, it probably requires a monitor that can do sync-on-green at a
    >> particular frequency. Some VGA monitors will work for this, but many
    >> won't.
    >>
    >> One other bit of VLC info: It requires 4MB parity SIMMs. Maximum memory
    >> is 24MB.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.
    >>
    >> Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    >> Fax: 817-237-3074

  16. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    Uusimäki wrote:

    > The part number of the 4MB SIMM (1MBx36) is 20-36110-05.
    > The option number is MS40-AA.

    Indeed. One helpful clue with those is the description.

    nMBx36 is usually parity memory while nMBx32 usually is non-parity.

    ECC is, of course, another question.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  17. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    I still can't find 4MB parity SIMMs on eBay but there are some larger ones,
    does anyone know if they are likely to work,even if only the first 4MB are
    recognised?

    Thanks

    Rob

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > Uusimäki wrote:
    >>
    >> The part number of the 4MB SIMM (1MBx36) is 20-36110-05.
    >> The option number is MS40-AA.

    > Indeed. One helpful clue with those is the description.
    >
    > nMBx36 is usually parity memory while nMBx32 usually is non-parity.
    >
    > ECC is, of course, another question.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  18. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    On 15 Jul, 08:00, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I still can't find 4MB parity SIMMs on eBay but there are some larger ones,
    > does anyone know if they are likely to work,even if only the first 4MB are
    > recognised?

    To get the full 24Mb, you need _8_Mb SIMMs, as they work in pairs. The
    ones in my VLCs are labelled SAMSUNG KMM5361000AG-8 FWIW.

    Chris

  19. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    I was under the impression from an earlier poster that the SIMM were 4MB per
    stick, my VLC has two sticks, reports 8MB installed and has 6 slots, so I
    assume I need 4 more 4MB SIMMs (in pairs?) to get to 24MB. Let me rephrase
    the question:

    If I install a pair of SIMMs, where each one is bigger than 4MB (I am
    assuming a matched pair), will the VLC be able to recognise and use the
    first 4MB of these SIMMs?

    Thanks

    Rob

    wrote in message
    news:1184509374.549422.67670@g4g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On 15 Jul, 08:00, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    >> I still can't find 4MB parity SIMMs on eBay but there are some larger
    >> ones,
    >> does anyone know if they are likely to work,even if only the first 4MB
    >> are
    >> recognised?

    > To get the full 24Mb, you need _8_Mb SIMMs, as they work in pairs. The
    > ones in my VLCs are labelled SAMSUNG KMM5361000AG-8 FWIW.
    >
    > Chris

  20. Re: VAXstation 4000 VLC

    On 15 Jul, 16:38, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > I was under the impression from an earlier poster that the SIMM were 4MB per
    > stick, my VLC has two sticks, reports 8MB installed and has 6 slots, so I
    > assume I need 4 more 4MB SIMMs (in pairs?) to get to 24MB.

    Apologies, you are correct, having RTFMed, they are indeed 4Mb and a
    Google on that SAMSUNG part No confirms this. I was mislead by the -8
    on the part No.

    > Let me rephrase
    > the question:
    >
    > If I install a pair of SIMMs, where each one is bigger than 4MB (I am
    > assuming a matched pair), will the VLC be able to recognise and use the
    > first 4MB of these SIMMs?

    I can't find any bigger parity SIMMs.I tried some non-parity 8-meg
    ones which didn't work, but that could be for one of two reasons.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast