PrintServer 17/600 - DEC

This is a discussion on PrintServer 17/600 - DEC ; My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2 (w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours (one way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this "working" printer ...

  1. PrintServer 17/600

    My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2
    (w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours (one
    way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this "working"
    printer is the printer itself. No software! No books! Nothing! Apparently,
    the current admin was not around when the unit was installed in 1994 and has
    no idea what his predecessor did with the software or manuals. He assured me
    we just connect it to the ethernet and away you go. Yea, right.

    Windows 98 and XP have printer drivers for it but first I need to find it on
    the network to complete the connection. The display on the printer shows a
    MAC address but nothing in the printer drivers help me to locate it on the
    network.

    I've been scouring the internet in search of software needed to set it up on
    the network and for useful information. The few bits and pieces of
    information I found say to use the PathWorks software that came with it to
    set it up on the network. I managed to find some PathWorks updates but
    without the original software the updates prove to be useless. One poster
    from 1998 or 2001 in a similar situation (exact same printer with no
    software) but received no responses.

    I'm hoping there is someone out there who has knowledge of this unit, still
    has the original software and hopefully some pointers to help me get it
    operational on my network. I would even be happy if I could locate an
    interface card to connect it to a standard printer port. Otherwise, we just
    bought an extremely heavy paperweight.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  2. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Is there anything you can do from the printer control panel to access and change
    the printer's IP address?

    Is there some set of buttons you can push to print a status page?

    As a long shot, you might download and try HP's "Install Network Printer
    Wizard". It allows you to access the network card by its MAC address and set up
    the IP address. But this pre-supposes that the printer supports native TCP/IP.
    If it does not, I am at a loss.

    For sure, the printer is capable of PostScript, like nearly all of the DEC laser
    printers.

    I know nothing about this specific printer, but maybe some of the brainstormed
    thoughts above can help you... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:58:50 GMT, "Todd Vargo" wrote:

    >My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2
    >(w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours (one
    >way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this "working"
    >printer is the printer itself. No software! No books! Nothing! Apparently,
    >the current admin was not around when the unit was installed in 1994 and has
    >no idea what his predecessor did with the software or manuals. He assured me
    >we just connect it to the ethernet and away you go. Yea, right.
    >
    >Windows 98 and XP have printer drivers for it but first I need to find it on
    >the network to complete the connection. The display on the printer shows a
    >MAC address but nothing in the printer drivers help me to locate it on the
    >network.
    >
    >I've been scouring the internet in search of software needed to set it up on
    >the network and for useful information. The few bits and pieces of
    >information I found say to use the PathWorks software that came with it to
    >set it up on the network. I managed to find some PathWorks updates but
    >without the original software the updates prove to be useless. One poster
    >from 1998 or 2001 in a similar situation (exact same printer with no
    >software) but received no responses.
    >
    >I'm hoping there is someone out there who has knowledge of this unit, still
    >has the original software and hopefully some pointers to help me get it
    >operational on my network. I would even be happy if I could locate an
    >interface card to connect it to a standard printer port. Otherwise, we just
    >bought an extremely heavy paperweight.

  3. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Todd Vargo wrote:
    > My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2
    > (w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours (one
    > way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this "working"
    > printer is the printer itself. No software! No books! Nothing! Apparently,
    > the current admin was not around when the unit was installed in 1994 and has
    > no idea what his predecessor did with the software or manuals. He assured me
    > we just connect it to the ethernet and away you go. Yea, right.
    >
    > Windows 98 and XP have printer drivers for it but first I need to find it on
    > the network to complete the connection. The display on the printer shows a
    > MAC address but nothing in the printer drivers help me to locate it on the
    > network.
    >
    > I've been scouring the internet in search of software needed to set it up on
    > the network and for useful information. The few bits and pieces of
    > information I found say to use the PathWorks software that came with it to
    > set it up on the network. I managed to find some PathWorks updates but
    > without the original software the updates prove to be useless. One poster
    > from 1998 or 2001 in a similar situation (exact same printer with no
    > software) but received no responses.
    >
    > I'm hoping there is someone out there who has knowledge of this unit, still
    > has the original software and hopefully some pointers to help me get it
    > operational on my network. I would even be happy if I could locate an
    > interface card to connect it to a standard printer port. Otherwise, we just
    > bought an extremely heavy paperweight.

    When the PrinterServer 17 boots, it is fairly brain dead. It requires a
    host on the network to download its operating software to it.

    This software is traditionally downloaded via MOP from a VMS host. I
    think the PrintServer 17 can also download via TFTP.

    I am not sure where you would find the software now. It used to be
    available from digital.com, then Compaq, etc. I don't seem to be able
    to find it just now.

    It should also be available on older CONDIST CD sets.

    Take a look at
    ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/...ps/v51-ssb.zip and see if
    that helps you.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  4. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    In article , "Todd Vargo" writes:
    > My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2
    > (w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours (one
    > way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this "working"
    > printer is the printer itself. No software! No books! Nothing! Apparently,
    > the current admin was not around when the unit was installed in 1994 and has
    > no idea what his predecessor did with the software or manuals. He assured me
    > we just connect it to the ethernet and away you go. Yea, right.
    >
    > Windows 98 and XP have printer drivers for it but first I need to find it on
    > the network to complete the connection. The display on the printer shows a
    > MAC address but nothing in the printer drivers help me to locate it on the
    > network.

    Generally for models 17 and 20 we used reverse LAT to connect over
    the ethernet. The LAT address is made up from the MAC address. I'm
    not sure if either of these supported IP.

  5. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Are you looking for this??
    Software
    Product
    Description

    PRODUCT NAME: PrintServer Software SPD 48.09.04

    OVERVIEW

    The PrintServer Software provides printing services across a wide
    range
    of operating environments to Digital's PrintServer printers. This
    Soft-
    ware Product Description (SPD) will give a broad overview of the
    func-
    tionality provided by the software for the PrintServer printers, how-
    ever, the feature set for each platform may vary. These variances
    will
    be noted as exceptions throughout the SPD. The platforms supported at
    the release of this document are:

    o HP-UX[R]

    o IBM[R]-AIX[R]
    o NetWare[R]

    o OpenVMS VAX and AXP

    o OSF/1[R] AXP

    o SCO[TM] UNIX[R]

    o SCO UNIX/DECadvantage

    o SunOS

    o ULTRIX

    o AT&T[R] Unison

    o Windows NT[TM]

    DIGITAL April 1994

    AE-PXW9E-TK
    This SPD documents PrintServer Software, V5.0 features for the Net-
    Ware, OpenVMS, and ULTRIX operating environments and PrintServer
    Soft-
    ware, V4.2 features for the HP-UX, IBM-AIX, OSF/1, SCO UNIX, SCO UNIX
    /DECadvantage, SunOS, AT&T Unison, and Windows NT operating environ-
    ments. This SPD will revise every 30 days as all PrintServer Software
    Version 5.0 products are released.

    DESCRIPTION

    The PrintServer Software is a layered product that enables one or
    both
    of the following:

    o Suitably configured systems to communicate within an Ethernet net-
    work to a PrintServer 17, PrintServer 17/600, PrintServer 20,
    turbo
    PrintServer 20, PrintServer 32, PrintGate/32, PrintServer 40, or
    PrintServer 40 plus and to use printing and accounting services

    o Suitably configured systems within an Ethernet local area network
    (LAN) to initialize (boot) and provide support functions for the
    PrintServer 17, PrintServer 17/600, PrintServer 20, turbo
    PrintServer
    20, PrintServer 32, PrintGate/32, PrintServer 40, and PrintServer
    40 plus

    In general, there are two primary components included in the
    PrintServer
    Software: print client software and supporting host software.

    The print client software consists of the following components:

    o Print filters or interface programs to process requests from one
    or more printer queues that provide print options to select
    PrintServer
    features and page setup

    o Network software to transmit print requests and associated data
    over

    etc etc
    phil

  6. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    "Chris Scheers" wrote in message
    > Todd Vargo wrote:
    > > My wife bid on a working Digital PrintServer 17/600 model LPS17-A2
    > > (w/ethernet interface card) and won the auction. So we drove 3 hours

    (one
    > > way) to procure her prize. Come to find out, all we get with this

    "working"
    > > printer is the printer itself. No software! No books! Nothing!

    Apparently,
    > > the current admin was not around when the unit was installed in 1994 and

    has
    > > no idea what his predecessor did with the software or manuals. He

    assured me
    > > we just connect it to the ethernet and away you go. Yea, right.
    > >
    > > Windows 98 and XP have printer drivers for it but first I need to find

    it on
    > > the network to complete the connection. The display on the printer shows

    > > MAC address but nothing in the printer drivers help me to locate it on

    the
    > > network.
    > >
    > > I've been scouring the internet in search of software needed to set it

    up on
    > > the network and for useful information. The few bits and pieces of
    > > information I found say to use the PathWorks software that came with it

    > > set it up on the network. I managed to find some PathWorks updates but
    > > without the original software the updates prove to be useless. One

    poster
    > > from 1998 or 2001 in a similar situation (exact same printer with no
    > > software) but received no responses.
    > >
    > > I'm hoping there is someone out there who has knowledge of this unit,

    still
    > > has the original software and hopefully some pointers to help me get it
    > > operational on my network. I would even be happy if I could locate an
    > > interface card to connect it to a standard printer port. Otherwise, we

    just
    > > bought an extremely heavy paperweight.

    > When the PrinterServer 17 boots, it is fairly brain dead. It requires a
    > host on the network to download its operating software to it.
    >
    > This software is traditionally downloaded via MOP from a VMS host. I
    > think the PrintServer 17 can also download via TFTP.
    >
    > I am not sure where you would find the software now. It used to be
    > available from digital.com, then Compaq, etc. I don't seem to be able
    > to find it just now.
    >
    > It should also be available on older CONDIST CD sets.
    >
    > Take a look at
    > ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/...ps/v51-ssb.zip and see if
    > that helps you.

    Yes, this is the software I need. Unfortunately, the printer is being
    persnickety. The software displays a printer not found message. When I power
    on the printer, it performs a warm-up count down then displays it's MAC
    address with some other numbers below it. The display only has room for two
    lines of text.

    xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    2.1 1.0 1.0

    I don't know what the numbers in the second row mean but after a long while,
    a "?54" was displayed on the bottom line. This is all it did until today.
    Based on some pages I had read, I took a guess at the IP address and set the
    print driver to 192.168.2.54.

    At some point after a number of power cycles and waiting, and doing other
    tasks, I lost track of what I did last, but when I looked at the display and
    it showed it was ready. I managed to a print test page and several other
    pages perfectly. The test-setup page does not display include the MAC or IP
    address (that would make too much sense).

    I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate test
    came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    displayed.

    I have concluded that pressing buttons on the panel do nothing while the MAC
    address is being displayed. But once it displayed the ready message, the
    buttons did something.

    Thanks to everyone for your help.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  7. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    wrote:
    > Are you looking for this??
    > Software
    > Product
    > Description
    >
    > __________________________________________________ _________________
    >
    > PRODUCT NAME: PrintServer Software SPD 48.09.04
    >
    > OVERVIEW
    >
    > The PrintServer Software provides printing services across a wide
    > range

    Thanks, I have read this overview page several times in my searches. What I
    was not finding is the software that went with it, but now I have it from
    one of the other helpful posters. Unfortunately, I am still unable to print
    even with the software.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  8. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    In article , "Todd Vargo" writes:

    > I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate test
    > came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    > from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    > printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    > displayed.

    54 could be MOP download failure (I'm streching here). What are you
    using for MOP support? On VMS MOP has a default setup that logs
    enough information to OPCOM to analyze a MOP failure if the VMS
    systems sees the MOP broadcast.

  9. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Vargo" writes:

    > > I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate

    test
    > > came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    > > from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    > > printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    > > displayed.
    > >

    > 54 could be MOP download failure (I'm streching here). What are you
    > using for MOP support? On VMS MOP has a default setup that logs
    > enough information to OPCOM to analyze a MOP failure if the VMS
    > systems sees the MOP broadcast.

    You'll have to forgive me. I don't what MOP is or how VMS works.

    Anyway, after a lot more reboots, I finally turned it off and went to sleep.
    This morning it worked after a couple boots but only printed a few pages
    until the paper jammed. It has not worked since. I did manage to find out
    that the numbers on the lower line represents the firmware version.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  10. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    In article , "Todd Vargo" writes:

    > You'll have to forgive me. I don't what MOP is or how VMS works.

    MOP is an ethernet protocol for dowloading software. It's analogous
    to BOOTP and TFTP on the IP stack, but runs directly on the ethernet
    as its own protocol.

    Ethernet devices will send out a MOP boot request and servers which
    know the MOP protocol can be setup to respond with the necessary
    software. The MOP server on VMS can log lots of things to the
    operator's log and an operator-enabled terminal. The default
    settings will tell you every MOP boot request seen and the files
    sent for every request honored.

    Check with the SPD somebody posted earlier to see if the LP17
    boots strickly off PROM, requires a MOP download, or can use IP
    to boot.

  11. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Todd Vargo wrote:

    > "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > > In article , "Todd

    > Vargo" writes:
    > > >
    > > > I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate

    > test
    > > > came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    > > > from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    > > > printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    > > > displayed.
    > > >

    > > 54 could be MOP download failure (I'm streching here). What are you
    > > using for MOP support? On VMS MOP has a default setup that logs
    > > enough information to OPCOM to analyze a MOP failure if the VMS
    > > systems sees the MOP broadcast.

    > You'll have to forgive me. I don't what MOP is or how VMS works.

    MOP is the Maintenance Operation Protocol. It is not an IP-subprotocol, it is
    comprised of four specific Ethernet packet types (60-01, 60-02, 60-03 and
    60-04). It does not provide a data layer that facilitates routing and so must be
    transparently bridged between LAN segments at fairly high priority.

    MOP is not unique to VMS.

    Up until and including DECnet Phase-IV, it was facilitated by the DECnet
    Executor and so is often confused as being part of DECnet (it isn't). More
    recently, the LANACP can be configured to provide downline load via MOP using
    the LAN Control Program (LANCP); however, LANACP does not provide for upline
    dump. Remote console capability was built into LANCP to allow for those sites
    who choose not to run DECnet, but still need to support older devices like
    terminal servers, printservers and such.

    MOP provides for:

    - Downline loading of software ("booting")
    - Downline loading of data (parameters)
    - Upline dumping of data to be analyzed (usually contents of memory in the case
    of a software problem)
    - Remote console
    - one other function I no longer recall

    The IP parallels would (loosely) be BOOTP and/or TFTP for loading and dumping,
    plus TELNET.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  12. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    writes:

    > > You'll have to forgive me. I don't what MOP is or how VMS works.
    > >

    > MOP is an ethernet protocol for dowloading software. It's analogous
    > to BOOTP and TFTP on the IP stack, but runs directly on the ethernet
    > as its own protocol.
    >
    > Ethernet devices will send out a MOP boot request and servers which
    > know the MOP protocol can be setup to respond with the necessary
    > software. The MOP server on VMS can log lots of things to the
    > operator's log and an operator-enabled terminal. The default
    > settings will tell you every MOP boot request seen and the files
    > sent for every request honored.
    >
    > Check with the SPD somebody posted earlier to see if the LP17
    > boots strickly off PROM, requires a MOP download, or can use IP
    > to boot.

    My router does not provide MOP or VMS but the printer has booted and printed
    twice using the IP address and print driver alone. The DEC software does not
    find the printer unless the printer display gets out of the MAC address
    display (POST) mode. I'm pretty sure that both times it was a fluke because
    it no longer gets past display of the firmware version display any more.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  13. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > Todd Vargo wrote:
    > >
    > > "Bob Koehler" wrote in message

    ultimate
    > > test

    started

    the

    being

    > > > 54 could be MOP download failure (I'm streching here). What are

    you
    > > > using for MOP support? On VMS MOP has a default setup that logs
    > > > enough information to OPCOM to analyze a MOP failure if the VMS
    > > > systems sees the MOP broadcast.

    > > You'll have to forgive me. I don't what MOP is or how VMS works.

    > MOP is the Maintenance Operation Protocol. It is not an IP-subprotocol, it

    is
    > comprised of four specific Ethernet packet types (60-01, 60-02, 60-03 and
    > 60-04). It does not provide a data layer that facilitates routing and so

    must be
    > transparently bridged between LAN segments at fairly high priority.
    >
    > MOP is not unique to VMS.
    >
    > Up until and including DECnet Phase-IV, it was facilitated by the DECnet
    > Executor and so is often confused as being part of DECnet (it isn't). More
    > recently, the LANACP can be configured to provide downline load via MOP

    using
    > the LAN Control Program (LANCP); however, LANACP does not provide for

    upline
    > dump. Remote console capability was built into LANCP to allow for those

    sites
    > who choose not to run DECnet, but still need to support older devices like
    > terminal servers, printservers and such.
    >
    > MOP provides for:
    >
    > - Downline loading of software ("booting")
    > - Downline loading of data (parameters)
    > - Upline dumping of data to be analyzed (usually contents of memory in the

    case
    > of a software problem)
    > - Remote console
    > - one other function I no longer recall
    >
    > The IP parallels would (loosely) be BOOTP and/or TFTP for loading and

    dumping,
    > plus TELNET.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    Thanks. That's a lot of reading material.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  14. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    In article <1hyii.8003$Rw1.3866@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>, "Todd Vargo" writes:

    > My router does not provide MOP or VMS but the printer has booted and printed
    > twice using the IP address and print driver alone. The DEC software does not
    > find the printer unless the printer display gets out of the MAC address
    > display (POST) mode. I'm pretty sure that both times it was a fluke because
    > it no longer gets past display of the firmware version display any more.

    MOP is not a routable protocol, and VMS in an operating system, not a
    network protocol.

    Perhaps the LP17 boots from some kind of ROM instead of MOP. You
    need to find and read the LP17 SPD.

  15. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Todd Vargo wrote:
> [...]

    > print driver to 192.168.2.54.
    >
    > At some point after a number of power cycles and waiting, and doing other
    > tasks, I lost track of what I did last, but when I looked at the display and
    > it showed it was ready. I managed to a print test page and several other
    > pages perfectly. The test-setup page does not display include the MAC or IP
    > address (that would make too much sense).
    >
    > I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate test
    > came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    > from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    > printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    > displayed.
    >
    > I have concluded that pressing buttons on the panel do nothing while the MAC
    > address is being displayed. But once it displayed the ready message, the

    Yes, as you mention in another post, the three numbers on the second
    line are firmware versions for various components of the printer.

    The ?54 error means that the printer did not get a response to its
    request for a download.

    The download will consist of two main parts: (1) the software for the
    printer and (2) the configuration for the printer.

    Until the printer is downloaded and configured, it will not have an IP
    address. The address is part (optional, I believe) of the configuration.

    I think the network interface on this printer is 10mb, half duplex.
    Assuming you are using twisted pair to talk to this, are you using a
    switch which will honor this setting?

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  16. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Chris Scheers wrote:
    > Todd Vargo wrote:
    > > Yes, this is the software I need. Unfortunately, the printer is being
    > > persnickety. The software displays a printer not found message. When I

    power
    > > on the printer, it performs a warm-up count down then displays it's MAC
    > > address with some other numbers below it. The display only has room for

    two
    > > lines of text.
    > >
    > > xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    > > 2.1 1.0 1.0
    > >
    > > I don't know what the numbers in the second row mean but after a long

    while,
    > > a "?54" was displayed on the bottom line. This is all it did until

    today.
    > > Based on some pages I had read, I took a guess at the IP address and set

    the
    > > print driver to 192.168.2.54.
    > >
    > > At some point after a number of power cycles and waiting, and doing

    other
    > > tasks, I lost track of what I did last, but when I looked at the display

    and
    > > it showed it was ready. I managed to a print test page and several other
    > > pages perfectly. The test-setup page does not display include the MAC or

    IP
    > > address (that would make too much sense).
    > >
    > > I don't know what actually made it start working but then the ultimate

    test
    > > came. I toggled the power switch off and now I'm back to where I started
    > > from. The software displays a printer not found message again and the
    > > printer displays the same output above only the ?54 is no longer being
    > > displayed.
    > >
    > > I have concluded that pressing buttons on the panel do nothing while the

    MAC
    > > address is being displayed. But once it displayed the ready message, the
    > > buttons did something.
    > >
    > > Thanks to everyone for your help.
    > >

    > Yes, as you mention in another post, the three numbers on the second
    > line are firmware versions for various components of the printer.
    >
    > The ?54 error means that the printer did not get a response to its
    > request for a download.
    >
    > The download will consist of two main parts: (1) the software for the
    > printer and (2) the configuration for the printer.
    >
    > Until the printer is downloaded and configured, it will not have an IP
    > address. The address is part (optional, I believe) of the configuration.
    >
    > I think the network interface on this printer is 10mb, half duplex.
    > Assuming you are using twisted pair to talk to this, are you using a
    > switch which will honor this setting?

    Thanks for the explanation on ?54. Your assistance is very much appreciated.

    I don't get the ?54 any more (even with ethernet wire unplugged). Now it
    just displays 0B01.0086 with the number of copies below it, but sometimes
    this code is different. Right now it's in this state. The usual warm-up
    (fans running, paper trays initializing, etc.) has become just a constantly
    clicking relay inside. Who knows what it will do tomorrow? We just got boned
    on this printer. I wonder if we can still get it serviced and what that
    would cost.

    --
    Todd Vargo
    (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

  17. Re: PrintServer 17/600

    Todd Vargo wrote:
    > [snip]
    > We just got boned on this printer.

    Ah, yes ... The hazards of these things falling into the hands of sellers who
    think that de-facto standards can be applied as universally (and retro-actively)
    as true industry standards, and vendors' various takes on how to apply them.

    "As is" and all that, y'know.

    Probably could have gotten a good used LaserJet for what that thing cost to ship
    it.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems