Broken TSZ07 - DEC

This is a discussion on Broken TSZ07 - DEC ; I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the the logic board it connects to. Is there any chance that anyone has a ...

  1. Broken TSZ07

    I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have
    determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the
    the logic board it connects to.

    Is there any chance that anyone has a tape drive that these parts could
    be canabalized from that would be willing to do it? I assume there were
    other Tape Units that used the same mechanicals and logic except without
    the SCSI interface. Obviously, parts from one of these would probably
    work as well.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: Broken TSZ07

    On Jun 14, 8:46 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have
    > determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the
    > the logic board it connects to.
    >
    > Is there any chance that anyone has a tape drive that these parts could
    > be canabalized from that would be willing to do it? I assume there were
    > other Tape Units that used the same mechanicals and logic except without
    > the SCSI interface. Obviously, parts from one of these would probably
    > work as well.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > b...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    any name or part# on them ?

  3. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article <1181846148.408163.61680@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    bob.birch@gmail.com writes:
    > On Jun 14, 8:46 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >> I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have
    >> determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the
    >> the logic board it connects to.
    >>
    >> Is there any chance that anyone has a tape drive that these parts could
    >> be canabalized from that would be willing to do it? I assume there were
    >> other Tape Units that used the same mechanicals and logic except without
    >> the SCSI interface. Obviously, parts from one of these would probably
    >> work as well.
    >>

    > Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    > any name or part# on them ?

    Sensor has no distinguishing marks, the motor is by Metek. I really think
    the only way I am going to find parts is from another broken TSZ07. I
    have had Cipher, CDC, Kennedy, Sun and DEC 9-tracks and none of them
    seem to have any parts, mechanical or electrical, in common.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: Broken TSZ07

    Funny you should ask, actually. I bought a TSZ07 from someone in
    Arizona and I only need the single-ended SCSI interface board from it,
    to replace the differential SCSI interface board in the TSZ07 that I
    have now. I was figuring on also keeping the power supply and main
    board, and tossing the rest. It's supposed to be packed up this
    weekend and shipped out on Monday.

    The kicker is that it has a motor fault of some sort, and, since it's
    going cross-country, I don't even know if the TSZ07 carcass will
    arrive in one piece.

    Do you have any inclination toward driving up from PA to the Buffalo
    area to pick up what's left? Go ahead and drop me an email if you want
    to discuss this further.

    Chris

  5. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article <1181847658.009191.109600@x35g2000prf.googlegroups. com>,
    ChrisKalisiak writes:

    > Funny you should ask, actually. I bought a TSZ07 from someone in
    > Arizona and I only need the single-ended SCSI interface board from it,
    > to replace the differential SCSI interface board in the TSZ07 that I
    > have now. I was figuring on also keeping the power supply and main
    > board, and tossing the rest. It's supposed to be packed up this
    > weekend and shipped out on Monday.
    >
    > The kicker is that it has a motor fault of some sort, and, since it's
    > going cross-country, I don't even know if the TSZ07 carcass will
    > arrive in one piece.
    >
    > Do you have any inclination toward driving up from PA to the Buffalo
    > area to pick up what's left? Go ahead and drop me an email if you want
    > to discuss this further.

    Actually, if it has motor fault it probably has the same problem as mine
    as that was the first sign there was a problem. Buffalo is a bit far
    for me to drive for a dead tape drive, but thanks for the offer.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: Broken TSZ07

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <1181846148.408163.61680@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    > bob.birch@gmail.com writes:
    >> On Jun 14, 8:46 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >>> I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have
    >>> determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the
    >>> the logic board it connects to.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any chance that anyone has a tape drive that these parts could
    >>> be canabalized from that would be willing to do it? I assume there were
    >>> other Tape Units that used the same mechanicals and logic except without
    >>> the SCSI interface. Obviously, parts from one of these would probably
    >>> work as well.
    >>>

    >> Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    >> any name or part# on them ?

    > Sensor has no distinguishing marks, the motor is by Metek. I really think
    > the only way I am going to find parts is from another broken TSZ07. I
    > have had Cipher, CDC, Kennedy, Sun and DEC 9-tracks and none of them
    > seem to have any parts, mechanical or electrical, in common.
    >
    > bill

    If you could provide any information from the motor nameplate, that
    would be extremely helpful. From that point, one could a) call the mfg
    and see if they have any current or past versions of that motor that
    might work, b) perhaps cross it to another motor, c) find a similar
    motor know physical and electrical characteristics. Is it possible to
    open the motor case? Perhaps it needs a good cleaning....

    Tach sensor should not be that hard to find/retrofit with another.
    Perhaps a pic?
    John

    BTW, instead of driving to Buffalo, why not have him pull the devices
    in question and mail them to you?

  7. Re: Broken TSZ07

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <1181846148.408163.61680@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    > bob.birch@gmail.com writes:
    >> On Jun 14, 8:46 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >>> I have a TSZ07 with problems. I have thoroughly tested it and have
    >>> determined it is either the Tach Sensor on the Take-up motor or the
    >>> the logic board it connects to.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any chance that anyone has a tape drive that these parts could
    >>> be canabalized from that would be willing to do it? I assume there were
    >>> other Tape Units that used the same mechanicals and logic except without
    >>> the SCSI interface. Obviously, parts from one of these would probably
    >>> work as well.
    >>>

    >> Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    >> any name or part# on them ?

    > Sensor has no distinguishing marks, the motor is by Metek. I really think
    > the only way I am going to find parts is from another broken TSZ07. I
    > have had Cipher, CDC, Kennedy, Sun and DEC 9-tracks and none of them
    > seem to have any parts, mechanical or electrical, in common.
    >
    > bill

    You sure the motor was not made by Ametek???

  8. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article ,
    John Hudak writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> In article <1181846148.408163.61680@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    >> bob.birch@gmail.com writes:

    >>> Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    >>> any name or part# on them ?

    >> Sensor has no distinguishing marks, the motor is by Metek. I really think
    >> the only way I am going to find parts is from another broken TSZ07. I
    >> have had Cipher, CDC, Kennedy, Sun and DEC 9-tracks and none of them
    >> seem to have any parts, mechanical or electrical, in common.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > If you could provide any information from the motor nameplate, that
    > would be extremely helpful. From that point, one could a) call the mfg
    > and see if they have any current or past versions of that motor that
    > might work, b) perhaps cross it to another motor, c) find a similar
    > motor know physical and electrical characteristics. Is it possible to
    > open the motor case? Perhaps it needs a good cleaning....

    There is nothing wrong with the motor. It spins just fine in both
    directions an at all speeds.
    It is either the tach sensor (an led/photo-transistor pair) or the
    logic board itself.

    > Tach sensor should not be that hard to find/retrofit with another.

    Somehow, I don't think it would be that easy. I have removed it and
    now need to find a way to test it. It is totally encapsulated in the
    plastic housing. Now, fabricating a new one might be possible, but
    it's probably easier to just try to find a dead drive and take it off
    that one. Unless it turns out that this is the most common failure
    mode for these drives. :-(

    Because he said I had to take the whole thing. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: Broken TSZ07

    For $500 I see a couple of Cipher M990S (SCSI) on Ebay

    I thought the TSZ09 was a Cipher..

    DT

    "John Hudak" wrote in message
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> In article <1181846148.408163.61680@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    >> bob.birch@gmail.com writes:

    >>> Who made the sensor and motor, obviously not Cipher,
    >>> any name or part# on them ?

    >> Sensor has no distinguishing marks, the motor is by Metek. I really
    >> think
    >> the only way I am going to find parts is from another broken TSZ07. I
    >> have had Cipher, CDC, Kennedy, Sun and DEC 9-tracks and none of them
    >> seem to have any parts, mechanical or electrical, in common.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > You sure the motor was not made by Ametek???

  10. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article <137i8kk2b0nm54@news.supernews.com>,
    "David Turner, Island Computers" writes:
    > For $500 I see a couple of Cipher M990S (SCSI) on Ebay

    If I had $500 I might consider it. But then, my experience with Ebay has
    pretty much to loose everything I bid on my $1 at the very end. To me,
    Ebay is just a great place for rip-off artists to ply their trade. The
    only thing I have less faith in today is Amazon.

    > I thought the TSZ09 was a Cipher..

    Is that a mistype? Ihave a TSZ07 and peopl etell me it's a Cipher
    although I have not found anything that says so on the device yet.
    I may go looking for a printset for a more modern Cipher than the
    990's I have had and then I can try fixing it myself with real
    components.

    I have never heard of a TSZ09.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  11. Re: Broken TSZ07

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > In article <137i8kk2b0nm54@news.supernews.com>,
    > "David Turner, Island Computers" writes:
    > > For $500 I see a couple of Cipher M990S (SCSI) on Ebay

    > If I had $500 I might consider it. But then, my experience with Ebay has
    > pretty much to loose everything I bid on my $1 at the very end.

    That's called "sniping" an auction. For rare or desirable items, it's very
    common. If you *REALLY* want an item, be generous with your maximum bid and hope
    for the best. You might pay a little more than you'd planned; however, if you
    didn't really want it, why did you bid?

    My experience has been that yes, I have also lost items in the last few minutes.
    Someone else wanted it more than I did. Just recently, I could have had three
    VMS-compatiable Toshiba CD-ROM drives for less than $10.00 each, but I decided
    not to snipe the auction during the last two minutes and let the other guy (the
    only bidder, newbie - no feedback) have 'em.

    > To me,
    > Ebay is just a great place for rip-off artists to ply their trade.

    Scammers get shutdown and prosecuted very quickly. eBay is the least effective
    way of finding suckers on the Internet. Spam and phishing work much better, I'm
    told.

    > The
    > only thing I have less faith in today is Amazon.

    There's someone (an author) on comp.os.vms who feels the same way. A real shame
    - keeps important, valuable VMS books out of the mainstream market.

    Always had good results with Amazon, but then I've never tried to "bargain hunt"
    there. Always buy new, unless used is all that's available; and then, reconsider
    whether you REALLY want it enough to run the risk.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  12. Re: Broken TSZ07

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    (snip)

    > If I had $500 I might consider it. But then, my experience with Ebay has
    > pretty much to loose everything I bid on my $1 at the very end.

    You lose by $1 (or whatever the bid increment is) when someone outbids
    you, even if their maximum bid is much higher.

    My experience says keep bidding, eventually you are likely to
    win if you aren't way too far off on the price.

    -- glen

  13. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article ,
    glen herrmannsfeldt writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> If I had $500 I might consider it. But then, my experience with Ebay has
    >> pretty much to loose everything I bid on my $1 at the very end.

    > You lose by $1 (or whatever the bid increment is) when someone outbids
    > you, even if their maximum bid is much higher.
    >
    > My experience says keep bidding, eventually you are likely to
    > win if you aren't way too far off on the price.

    My ripoff to good deal percentage was 50:50. Not a strong selling point.
    And that fact that Ebay MAY stop them after the fact is small consolation.

    I like my solution much better. I don't do Ebay.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  14. Re: Broken TSZ07

    On 21 Jun 2007 11:58:28 GMT, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

    >My ripoff to good deal percentage was 50:50. Not a strong selling point.
    >And that fact that Ebay MAY stop them after the fact is small consolation.

    What have you been buying...? My experience, over around 400 deals
    (mostly cameras, computers and electronic bits ancient and modern,
    collectors brass trains), 97% have been fine, 3% have been slightly
    less than smooth but basically ok, *one* deal has been pretty much a
    ripoff... I actually got the merchandise, but it was a piece of junk,
    much worse than described - had been sold by a guy who was previously
    kicked off ebay but came back under another name.

    (as an aside, I thought I would have no problem with my piece of junk,
    since I'd paid for it with Amex. Ha ha ha... Amex turned out to be a
    bunch of thieving turds, worse customer service than the original
    ripoff artist. Avoid Amex at all costs. I'll post the whole story if
    anyone begs me hard enough)

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  15. Re: Broken TSZ07

    In article ,
    Mike Ross writes:
    > On 21 Jun 2007 11:58:28 GMT, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >

    >>My ripoff to good deal percentage was 50:50. Not a strong selling point.
    >>And that fact that Ebay MAY stop them after the fact is small consolation.

    > What have you been buying...?

    Computer stuff.

    > My experience, over around 400 deals
    > (mostly cameras, computers and electronic bits ancient and modern,
    > collectors brass trains), 97% have been fine, 3% have been slightly
    > less than smooth but basically ok, *one* deal has been pretty much a
    > ripoff...

    Congratulations, you were luckier than I was. My daughter
    buys and sells on Ebay all the time. My experience was
    different and I have no desire to put up with it so I opt
    to deal with real companies instead. And even not some of
    them, like Amazon who have also ripped me off. There is
    nothing I can think of short of first edition Shakespeare
    that is only going to be available from one source. I can
    always find someone who will sell me what I want at a price
    I agree with.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include