Alphaserver 800 memory question - DEC

This is a discussion on Alphaserver 800 memory question - DEC ; I have an AlphaServer 800 and want to upgrade it's memory a bit. Are there any issues to mixing memory sizes between the different banks? Example: 4x64MB in one bank and 4x16MB in the other Thanks. Brian...

  1. Alphaserver 800 memory question

    I have an AlphaServer 800 and want to upgrade it's memory a bit.

    Are there any issues to mixing memory sizes between the different banks?

    Example: 4x64MB in one bank and 4x16MB in the other

    Thanks.

    Brian

  2. Re: Alphaserver 800 memory question

    Brian E wrote in news:jVkai.128$Nz5.92
    @trndny09:

    > I have an AlphaServer 800 and want to upgrade it's memory a bit.
    >
    > Are there any issues to mixing memory sizes between the different banks?
    >
    > Example: 4x64MB in one bank and 4x16MB in the other
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Brian

    From my experience with AlphaServer 1000 and 1000A, just make sure the
    largest modules are in the lowest bank and then nothing larger should ever
    be in a higher bank than those in the next lower bank.
    That is:
    Bank 0: 4x64
    Bank 1: 4x16
    Bank 2: 4x32
    is no good. It would properly be:
    Bank 0: 4x64
    Bank 1: 4x32
    Bank 2: 4x16
    (I'm assuming there are 4 banks available, as in the 1000A. [The
    AlphaServer 1000 and early 1000A used an ECC bank of memory as well, which
    was physically the bottom bank.])

  3. Re: Alphaserver 800 memory question

    On Jun 8, 6:40 pm, Brian E wrote:
    > I have an AlphaServer 800 and want to upgrade it's memory a bit.
    >
    > Are there any issues to mixing memory sizes between the different banks?
    >
    > Example: 4x64MB in one bank and 4x16MB in the other
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Brian

    Chiming in a bit late here, I'm sorry about that. The Alphaserver 800
    has 2 banks, each holding 4 memory modules(ie "sticks"). So you can
    mix the memory sizes between banks but not within a bank. Though the
    Alphaserver 800 User's Guide doesn't mention any size ordering for the
    2 banks, it usually is safe to put the larger set in the first bank
    and the smaller in the second. On the AS800 the first bank is the 4
    slots closest to the CPU daughterboard. Page 6-17 of the Alphaserver
    Service Manual has a pretty good description on the memory
    requirements. Both of these manuals are still available on the HP web
    site in PDF format.

    The type of memory that it uses is an older style. I have 2GB (8
    256MB modules) of 3.3V EDO ECC DIMM in my 2 AS800's. IIRC the memory
    is the same as what goes into a Proliant 1600 from Compaq.

    John H. Reinhardt

+ Reply to Thread