What cabling for a differential TSZ07? - DEC

This is a discussion on What cabling for a differential TSZ07? - DEC ; Hello all, I picked up a TSZ07-CA (which, according to the various manuals that I referenced, is a single-ended drive) yesterday. When I brought it home, I checked to make sure that it physically worked, and then connected it to ...

  1. What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    Hello all,

    I picked up a TSZ07-CA (which, according to the various manuals
    that I referenced, is a single-ended drive) yesterday. When I brought
    it home, I checked to make sure that it physically worked, and then
    connected it to a Compaq Proliant. The Proliant couldn't see it. So, I
    connected it to a different SCSI interface, and still nothing. Lastly
    I connected it to an HSD05, and still nothing.

    Come to find out by popping the cover and physically examining the
    SCSI interface board on it that the tape drive is in fact differential
    -- the board says "diff" right on it, and there are 75176B
    differential line drivers next to the 50-pin connector.

    I tried to cobble together some cabling to connect the differential
    TSZ07 to the DWZZA that's installed in the BA350, by going from the
    DWZZA's 68-pin connector to the TSZ07's 50-pin connector with a cable
    that I had on-hand. I don't have any 50-pin differential terminators,
    so I did the best I could with what I had on-hand -- 50-pin centronix
    to HD68 cable connected to 68-68 ribbon cable with a 68-pin HVD
    terminator on the other end. With this, the HSD05 was able to
    successfully issue an INQUIRY, but the HSD05's "tapetest" failed due
    to an unexpected bus reset. Apparently the pile of cables didn't work
    out.

    I've been working with SCSI for over 15 years now, but I don't
    think I've ever worked with a differential 50-pin Centronix interface
    before, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the
    proper way (i.e. with DEC part numbers) to connect a TSZ07 to a DWZZA.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    ChrisKalisiak writes:

    > I've been working with SCSI for over 15 years now, but I don't think I've
    > ever worked with a differential 50-pin Centronix interface before, and would
    > like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the proper way (i.e. with DEC
    > part numbers) to connect a TSZ07 to a DWZZA.

    I've got two 9-track tape drives with 50-pin Centronics differential connectors
    right now (both M4 Data 9914's); I've also worked with a couple of other mfrs.
    whose names are swapped out at the moment. These connect to an XKL Toad-1.[1]

    You don't need DEC part numbers, you need to head on over to Paralan and look
    at their SCSI converters. All of our systems at XKL (PPOE) contained one of
    their differential-to-single-ended boards (originally for the HP DAT drive and
    eventually the Quantum DLT), and I have one of their LVD-to-HVD converter boxes
    to hook an LVD shelf to the same XKL system.

    [1] A PDP-10 architecture system.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

  3. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    Thanks for the suggestion about Paralan, but the problem right now is
    not about converting SE to HVD; that's what the DWZZA is for.

    What I am missing is the proper HD68-CN50 differential cable and a
    CN50 differential terminator. I tried cobbling something together with
    a pair of HD68-CN50 single-ended cables and a HD68 differential
    terminator, which allowed the HSD05 to at least send INQUIRY commands
    to the TSZ07. Unfortunately, however, the HSD05's "tapetest" failed
    due to an unexpected bus reset. I'd be willing to bet $2 that it's the
    cabling and/or termination.

    The TSZ07 transport itself appears to work, because it was able to
    complete a "write once and read" test that I initiated through the
    front panel, and its SCSI interface basically works, because it
    responds to INQUIRYs, so now I just need to know how to connect it to
    my DWZZA and terminate the differential bus.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  4. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    Chris

    Try a BN21M to get from the DWZZ? to the TSZ07.

    A BN36A-09 is a will provide a 68 pin Male High Density to a 50Pin Femail
    Highdensity.

    The Differential SCSI of the drive is identical to the Cipher M995.
    Altough the Differential 50 Pin SCSI-2 is not real common it was defined
    in the last ammended ANSI Specification.

    Good Luck
    Bob Johnson

  5. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    Thanks for your reply. What I ended up doing was buying a broken
    single-ended TSZ07 and swapping SCSI boards in it. So, my TSZ07 is now
    single-ended and is working.

    Chris

  6. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    In article <1186575890.155457.272130@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    ChrisKalisiak writes:
    > Thanks for your reply. What I ended up doing was buying a broken
    > single-ended TSZ07 and swapping SCSI boards in it. So, my TSZ07 is now
    > single-ended and is working.

    Broken in what way? And, did you throw the rest away yet?
    I have a broken TSZ07 I would love to fix if I could get you to
    send me some parts (assuming yours isn't broken the same way as
    mine.)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    Heh, we already discussed this a few months ago, actually. It had a
    motor fault, which is the same problem yours has, so you passed on my
    offer of parts.

    At this point the only parts I kept were the power supply and
    mainboard, and the differential SCSI interface that I pulled.

    I know that shipping 9-track tape drives is not a safe thing to do,
    but if you get desperate, and can afford to wait a few weeks for a
    working one to show up, you can find a TSZ07 for under $100 on eBay.

    Take care,
    Chris

  8. Re: What cabling for a differential TSZ07?

    In article <1186661873.952711.275390@l70g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    ChrisKalisiak writes:

    > Heh, we already discussed this a few months ago, actually. It had a
    > motor fault, which is the same problem yours has, so you passed on my
    > offer of parts.

    Oh, sorry. I just szaw a quick message about a broken TSZ07 and jumped
    on it before it hit the dumpster. :-)

    > At this point the only parts I kept were the power supply and
    > mainboard, and the differential SCSI interface that I pulled.
    >
    > I know that shipping 9-track tape drives is not a safe thing to do,
    > but if you get desperate, and can afford to wait a few weeks for a
    > working one to show up, you can find a TSZ07 for under $100 on eBay.

    I stopped doing Ebay after the deal/ripoff ratio hit 50:50. It didn't
    take long.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include