Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70... - DEC

This is a discussion on Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70... - DEC ; Hello all, I'm *this close* to finishing putting back together the two DEC boxes that I have in the basement. One is a BA123-based VAXstation 3 and the other is a BA215-based PDP-11/53+. The VAXstation 3 is complete (well, except ...

  1. Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70...

    Hello all,

    I'm *this close* to finishing putting back together the two DEC
    boxes that I have in the basement. One is a BA123-based VAXstation 3
    and the other is a BA215-based PDP-11/53+. The VAXstation 3 is
    complete (well, except possibly for an LK201, because it appears the
    VCB02 doesn't like LK401's, and that's all I have right now, but
    that's for another post...), but the PDP-11/53+ doesn't have a working
    TK drive. I have a TQK50, a TQK70, cables, and BA21x drive mounting
    hardware, but I don't have the drive itself. The TK70 that was
    installed in the BA215 doesn't work, and the couple replacements I've
    bought through eBay don't work either.

    If anyone in the US or Canada has a working TK50, TK50Z (which I
    would pull the TK50 from), or TK70, that they can part with, please
    let me know.

    BTW, the definition of "working" that I have in mind is simply that
    the drive POSTs -- the green "operate handle" LED comes on after 15-20
    seconds and stays on. The "dead" drives that I have now all have fast-
    blinking LEDs after about 30 seconds.

    For that matter, if anyone knows how to revive a TK50 or TK70 that
    are in this "dead" state, please let me know...

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70...

    In article <1179422755.766210.59240@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.c om>, ChrisKalisiak writes:

    >Hello all,
    >
    > I'm *this close* to finishing putting back together the two DEC
    >boxes that I have in the basement. One is a BA123-based VAXstation 3
    >and the other is a BA215-based PDP-11/53+. The VAXstation 3 is
    >complete (well, except possibly for an LK201, because it appears the
    >VCB02 doesn't like LK401's, and that's all I have right now, but
    >that's for another post...), but the PDP-11/53+ doesn't have a working
    >TK drive. I have a TQK50, a TQK70, cables, and BA21x drive mounting
    >hardware, but I don't have the drive itself. The TK70 that was
    >installed in the BA215 doesn't work, and the couple replacements I've
    >bought through eBay don't work either.
    >
    > If anyone in the US or Canada has a working TK50, TK50Z (which I
    >would pull the TK50 from), or TK70, that they can part with, please
    >let me know.
    >
    > BTW, the definition of "working" that I have in mind is simply that
    >the drive POSTs -- the green "operate handle" LED comes on after 15-20
    >seconds and stays on. The "dead" drives that I have now all have fast-
    >blinking LEDs after about 30 seconds.
    >
    > For that matter, if anyone knows how to revive a TK50 or TK70 that
    >are in this "dead" state, please let me know...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Chris

    I have a couple of TK50 drives.

  3. Re: Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70...

    ChrisKalisiak wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm *this close* to finishing putting back together the two DEC
    > boxes that I have in the basement. One is a BA123-based VAXstation 3
    > and the other is a BA215-based PDP-11/53+. The VAXstation 3 is
    > complete (well, except possibly for an LK201, because it appears the
    > VCB02 doesn't like LK401's, and that's all I have right now, but
    > that's for another post...), but the PDP-11/53+ doesn't have a working
    > TK drive. I have a TQK50, a TQK70, cables, and BA21x drive mounting
    > hardware, but I don't have the drive itself. The TK70 that was
    > installed in the BA215 doesn't work, and the couple replacements I've
    > bought through eBay don't work either.
    >
    > If anyone in the US or Canada has a working TK50, TK50Z (which I
    > would pull the TK50 from), or TK70, that they can part with, please
    > let me know.
    >
    > BTW, the definition of "working" that I have in mind is simply that
    > the drive POSTs -- the green "operate handle" LED comes on after 15-20
    > seconds and stays on. The "dead" drives that I have now all have fast-
    > blinking LEDs after about 30 seconds.
    >
    > For that matter, if anyone knows how to revive a TK50 or TK70 that
    > are in this "dead" state, please let me know...

    Have you checked whether or not the drive(s) "dropped the leader"?

    If you can open the cartridge slot and see the entire first tape roller, the
    leader is "missing".

    If the leader is not damaged, you can retrieve it by disassembling the drive to
    the point where you can remove the cover over the take-up spindle inside it.
    That may take three to seven hands to accomplish, but can usually be done with
    only two after a bit of finagling. Having gained access to it, unwind the leader
    from the take-up spindle and thread it back toward the cartridge slot. Then,
    hook it onto the spring-arm, put it all back together, and try to power it up
    again.

    Hope this helps...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70...

    Hello,

    > Have you checked whether or not the drive(s) "dropped the leader"?
    >
    > If you can open the cartridge slot and see the entire first tape roller, the
    > leader is "missing".
    >
    > If the leader is not damaged, you can retrieve it by disassembling the drive to

    [...]

    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, unfortunately for me, the leader is in
    the correct position in all of the drives that fail to POST...

    Chris

  5. Re: Looking for a working TK50/TK50Z or TK70...

    Thanks to Brian, I'm all set with drives now, and even have a spare.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread