NT or 2000 RC2 on 164LX - DEC

This is a discussion on NT or 2000 RC2 on 164LX - DEC ; Hi! I have the following configuration which I would like to revive: Alpha 21164 533 164LX 512 MB PC-100 ECC (4x128 MB) (unbuffered) A sis VGA Fujitsu MPH3204AH drive (20 GB, UDMA 66) The problem is Windows NT (and the ...

  1. NT or 2000 RC2 on 164LX

    Hi!

    I have the following configuration which I would like to revive:
    Alpha 21164 533
    164LX
    512 MB PC-100 ECC (4x128 MB) (unbuffered)
    A sis VGA
    Fujitsu MPH3204AH drive (20 GB, UDMA 66)

    The problem is Windows NT (and the last beta of 2000) doesn't want to
    install on it. It hangs on copying files from either the floppy (when
    using a custom HAL) or from the CD (the setup runs fine, i accept the
    EULA, choose where to install and it hangs randomly before it reaches
    even 20%). I tried 3 different AlphaBIOSs: 5.66, 5.68 and 5.70. The
    first (5.66) with HAL rev. E, the later with the newest one rev. G
    (the HAL release notes state, that rev. G will not work unless there
    is 5.70 AlphaBIOS installed). I tried different CD-ROM drives and FDDs
    (also checked the installation CD), as well as disabled the drive UDMA
    66 (works now as UDMA 33). In MS KB they say, that if the copying
    hangs it might be a bad HAL, but this shouln't be the case.

    I also have problems with partition setup - it works totally randomly.
    I used the ExpressSetup (makes a 4095 MB partition and a 6 MB one
    for the system partition) but Windows either complains about not
    having a system partition at all or it will say when I try to install
    it on the 4095 MB one, that this is the system partition and it isn't
    good to install there Windows. Arcinst.exe from the CD states that
    both (the 4095 MB and 6 MB one) are system partitions.

    Thanks for ANY help.

    piotrek aka GL1zdA

  2. Re: NT or 2000 RC2 on 164LX

    Hi,

    When I still had my 164LX, I remember having installed NT 4.0 and 2000
    RC2 (not at the same time of course) without a problem with AlphaBIOS
    5.70. This was on a 4.3GB SCSI disk however.

    I know that on x86, the standard NT 4.0 CD-ROM is unable to recognize
    disks bigger than 4.3GB. You must create updated NT boot diskettes
    from a NT 4.0 SP6 system to overcome this limitation IIRC.

    Hope this helps a little,

    Emeric

    GL1zdA a écrit :
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have the following configuration which I would like to revive:
    > Alpha 21164 533
    > 164LX
    > 512 MB PC-100 ECC (4x128 MB) (unbuffered)
    > A sis VGA
    > Fujitsu MPH3204AH drive (20 GB, UDMA 66)
    >
    > The problem is Windows NT (and the last beta of 2000) doesn't want to
    > install on it. It hangs on copying files from either the floppy (when
    > using a custom HAL) or from the CD (the setup runs fine, i accept the
    > EULA, choose where to install and it hangs randomly before it reaches
    > even 20%). I tried 3 different AlphaBIOSs: 5.66, 5.68 and 5.70. The
    > first (5.66) with HAL rev. E, the later with the newest one rev. G
    > (the HAL release notes state, that rev. G will not work unless there
    > is 5.70 AlphaBIOS installed). I tried different CD-ROM drives and FDDs
    > (also checked the installation CD), as well as disabled the drive UDMA
    > 66 (works now as UDMA 33). In MS KB they say, that if the copying
    > hangs it might be a bad HAL, but this shouln't be the case.
    >
    > I also have problems with partition setup - it works totally randomly.
    > I used the ExpressSetup (makes a 4095 MB partition and a 6 MB one
    > for the system partition) but Windows either complains about not
    > having a system partition at all or it will say when I try to install
    > it on the 4095 MB one, that this is the system partition and it isn't
    > good to install there Windows. Arcinst.exe from the CD states that
    > both (the 4095 MB and 6 MB one) are system partitions.
    >
    > Thanks for ANY help.
    >
    > piotrek aka GL1zdA

  3. Re: NT or 2000 RC2 on 164LX

    On May 9, 6:42 pm, emeric.masch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I still had my 164LX, I remember having installed NT 4.0 and 2000
    > RC2 (not at the same time of course) without a problem with AlphaBIOS
    > 5.70. This was on a 4.3GB SCSI disk however.
    >
    > I know that on x86, the standard NT 4.0 CD-ROM is unable to recognize
    > disks bigger than 4.3GB. You must create updated NT boot diskettes
    > from a NT 4.0 SP6 system to overcome this limitation IIRC.
    >
    > Hope this helps a little,
    >
    > Emeric
    >
    > GL1zdA a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi!

    > > I have the following configuration which I would like to revive:
    > > Alpha 21164 533
    > > 164LX
    > > 512 MB PC-100 ECC (4x128 MB) (unbuffered)
    > > A sis VGA
    > > Fujitsu MPH3204AH drive (20 GB, UDMA 66)

    > > The problem is Windows NT (and the last beta of 2000) doesn't want to
    > > install on it. It hangs on copying files from either the floppy (when
    > > using a custom HAL) or from the CD (the setup runs fine, i accept the
    > > EULA, choose where to install and it hangs randomly before it reaches
    > > even 20%). I tried 3 different AlphaBIOSs: 5.66, 5.68 and 5.70. The
    > > first (5.66) with HAL rev. E, the later with the newest one rev. G
    > > (the HAL release notes state, that rev. G will not work unless there
    > > is 5.70 AlphaBIOS installed). I tried different CD-ROM drives and FDDs
    > > (also checked the installation CD), as well as disabled the drive UDMA
    > > 66 (works now as UDMA 33). In MS KB they say, that if the copying
    > > hangs it might be a bad HAL, but this shouln't be the case.

    > > I also have problems with partition setup - it works totally randomly.
    > > I used the ExpressSetup (makes a 4095 MB partition and a 6 MB one
    > > for the system partition) but Windows either complains about not
    > > having a system partition at all or it will say when I try to install
    > > it on the 4095 MB one, that this is the system partition and it isn't
    > > good to install there Windows. Arcinst.exe from the CD states that
    > > both (the 4095 MB and 6 MB one) are system partitions.

    > > Thanks for ANY help.

    > > piotrek aka GL1zdA

    HI!
    I'll give it try when I will have some free time.
    Thanks for response.

+ Reply to Thread