VT LAN40 BIOS setup password - DEC

This is a discussion on VT LAN40 BIOS setup password - DEC ; Hi, Are there any DEC technicians out there who can help me with this problem? I have a DEC VT LAN40 terminal. Basically it is a diskless PC from 1994 386sx with 4 MB of RAM and Windows 3.1 from ...

  1. VT LAN40 BIOS setup password

    Hi,
    Are there any DEC technicians out there who can help me with this
    problem?

    I have a DEC VT LAN40 terminal. Basically it is a diskless PC from
    1994 386sx with 4 MB of RAM and Windows 3.1 from a ROM drive. I can
    get into the BIOS setup routine by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 on boot up but
    the machine brings me to a security password screen. I do not have
    the password and all the logical guesses for Phoenix BIOS do not work
    (PHOENIX, phoenix, BIOS, CMOS, etc)

    Here is the interesting part: apparently DEC put the security password
    in ROM! I remove the NOVRAM CMOS battery on the motherboard and let
    the circuit drain off any excess charge in capacitors I get a message
    like "CMOS data corrupted, see service technician". I can clear that
    message by letting the BIOS reinitialize the CMOS settings but when I
    go to restart, there is the BIOS SETUP password screen again.

    Can anyone shed some light on what the DEC VT LAN40 security password
    is? This is a legitimate request and I own the computer although it
    was used when I got it.

    Thanks in advance!

    Andrew Lynch

  2. Re: VT LAN40 BIOS setup password

    In article <1177792973.990962.322670@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    lynchaj@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Can anyone shed some light on what the DEC VT LAN40 security password
    > is?

    I wonder how many VT LAN40 systems are still in use, twelve years after
    its introduction. I always thought it was an interesting product and
    deserved better than it got.

    I will e-mail you the instructions for resetting the password.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering